Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2023, 03:41 PM

16,636 posts, read 8,354,811 times

Advertisements

I didnt even know Myles Standish had camping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2023, 07:39 AM

12,930 posts, read 22,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Myles Standish has had a riff raff problem forever, not at all surprising.
Honestly, I'm surprised nothing like this has happened sooner. It's $17/night for a campsite and like $8 per day for day-use spots (free, if you're willing to walk) and has always attracted a rough crowd. The campgrounds have regular ranger patrols through the campgrounds and there are either state police or environmental police details that also patrol on weekends. But there are some 400+ campsites plus the day use sites spread over miles (takes 15-20 minutes to go from the HQ to the Curlew Pond campsites) and 2 rangers and a cop aren't enough to keep it all in line. As a teen, I lifeguarded for several months at College Pond before moving to a different DCR facility (both for convenience and safety). There were multiple fights almost daily on the weekends. I saw a stabbing (which went unreported, both parties left and the police didn't want to do anything with no victim and no attacker there), and multiple arrests. The weekdays are another world. Fairly quiet

It's a beautiful place, and I'm all for keeping these resources affordable and the facilities accessible, but I wish there was a way to better control the crowds.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:02 AM

23,738 posts, read 18,846,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Honestly, I'm surprised nothing like this has happened sooner. It's $17/night for a campsite and like $8 per day for day-use spots (free, if you're willing to walk) and has always attracted a rough crowd. The campgrounds have regular ranger patrols through the campgrounds and there are either state police or environmental police details that also patrol on weekends. But there are some 400+ campsites plus the day use sites spread over miles (takes 15-20 minutes to go from the HQ to the Curlew Pond campsites) and 2 rangers and a cop aren't enough to keep it all in line. As a teen, I lifeguarded for several months at College Pond before moving to a different DCR facility (both for convenience and safety). There were multiple fights almost daily on the weekends. I saw a stabbing (which went unreported, both parties left and the police didn't want to do anything with no victim and no attacker there), and multiple arrests. The weekdays are another world. Fairly quiet

It's a beautiful place, and I'm all for keeping these resources affordable and the facilities accessible, but I wish there was a way to better control the crowds.
Is it really still $17/night??? Wow.

Old 07-17-2023, 08:29 AM

Default re

Quote:
Seems like everyone raised prices except campsite grounds. What are they thinking. Were these folks even camping there? I got the impression they just met up there...like hey let's head to Myles standish instead of the south shore plaza.

Old 07-17-2023, 09:34 AM

12,930 posts, read 22,099,591 times
Quote:
Yeah, for MA residents. Kind of crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Seems like everyone raised prices except campsite grounds. What are they thinking. Were these folks even camping there? I got the impression they just met up there...like hey let's head to Myles standish instead of the south shore plaza.
They may not have been. They were at the Fearing Pond beach which is between the two campgrounds on that pond (it's the main beach for campers too and walking distance from the camp sites). The beach used to be open to the public and then for a while it was only open to campers. I'm not sure what the policy is now. But even if it's open only to "campers" people often rent campsites just to use for the day.

They're not supposed to do it (and DCR tries to discourage/enforce it), but $17 to get a fairly large campsite steps from the beach with your own picnic table, space for multiple cars, a grill, access to restrooms, etc. is a steal. Plus they're technically open all night so you don't lose bathroom access. You get a ton of people who rent a site, invite multiple friends, and spend the day grilling/drinking/swimming/fishing, etc. and going home sometime at night rather than spending the night. So a lot of registered campers aren't actually camping. And a lot of people in the campgrounds are just hanging for the day rather than camping. It's tough to really enforce it until quiet hours roll around (10pm, I believe) and the rangers/police start really cracking down.

Old 07-17-2023, 02:02 PM

Dear body found in Roslindale last night:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...erway/3090718/

Old 07-17-2023, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Dear body found in Roslindale last night:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...erway/3090718/

3904 Washington St., which is down towards Forest Hills (rough end of Washington).

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2950...8192?entry=ttu

Somebody mentioned a possible serial killer on the loose. I think this is looking to be more and more a possibility.

Old 07-17-2023, 06:09 PM

Default re

Quote:
3904 Washington St., which is down towards Forest Hills (rough end of Washington).

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2950...8192?entry=ttu

Somebody mentioned a possible serial killer on the loose. I think this is looking to be more and more a possibility.
I'd like to think maybe it was someone who had a heart attack or heat stroke...but maybe it's more sinister. I guess you never know.

Old 07-18-2023, 08:09 AM

21,745 posts, read 12,880,468 times
Man shot and killed in Jamaica Plain last night: https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...OIF2M6NS4SCZ4/

Old 07-18-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
Man shot and killed in Jamaica Plain last night: https://www.boston25news.com/news/lo...OIF2M6NS4SCZ4/

Forest Hills St. was always a sketchy area. I guess is still is? Makes sense, being right next to Franklin Park and kind of on the neighborhood periphery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston