Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2021, 12:34 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,080,296 times

Advertisements

Let’s see how long it lasts now that we have defundie whackadoos not just on the city council but in the mayor’s office as well. Minneapolis was also a very safe city prior to all the recent ilhancements…

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
If Boston has really only had 7 murders this fall, then that's great for the city. Your crime is very low, and you don't need a thread talking about "rough summers" or "rough autumns."

Stop being so afraid, you're in one of the safest larger cities in the country. Relax!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2021, 02:44 PM

16,668 posts, read 8,384,368 times
I think we’ve said before that murder isn’t the only type of crime

Old 12-03-2021, 10:46 AM

Someone's putting roofies in people's drinks in Boston bars:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local...rning/2581595/

Old 12-04-2021, 08:04 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,331,380 times
Some data (per the Boston Sun) for D-4 year over year (2020 to 2021):

- part 1 crime down (2782 to 2363), 5-year average is 3073
- homicides flat (2 to 2), 5 year average is 2
- rape/attempted rape up (22 to 28), 5 year average 30
- robberies/attempted robberies down (119 to 82), 5 year average 152
- domestic aggravated assaults down (44 to 40), 5 year average 48
- non-domestic aggravated assaults down (236 to 141), 5 year average 213
- commercial burglaries way down (148 to 40), 5 year average 73
- residential burgaries down (134 to 90), 5 year average 146
- motor vehicle larceny down (484 to 347), 5 year average 478
- other larceny down (1477 to 1448), 5 year average 1796
- auto theft up (116 to 145), 5 year average 135

At least for the D-4 district in Boston, crime is by and large down and generally well below the 5 year average.

Old 12-04-2021, 09:20 AM

3,976 posts, read 5,791,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think we’ve said before that murder isn’t the only type of crime
You're right. Murder is obviously a serious crime but other crimes such as robberies, burglaries, muggings, and even random physical attacks that tend to get overlooked are also serious crimes and perpetrators must be prosecuted. I was robbed by a group of six teens on a public street in my own neighborhood in broad daylight back in 2006. They only took a small amount of cash from me but the experience itself was traumatizing and no the crooks were never caught. Acts like these are what terrorizes a neighborhood and they happen with more frequency if a municipal government is soft on crime. You can have as many neighborhood watches as you can but let's be honest, this is a big city, and the best and perhaps only deterrent is a tough on crime attitude from the City.

Old 12-04-2021, 01:32 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,870,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
You're right. Murder is obviously a serious crime but other crimes such as robberies, burglaries, muggings, and even random physical attacks that tend to get overlooked are also serious crimes and perpetrators must be prosecuted. I was robbed by a group of six teens on a public street in my own neighborhood in broad daylight back in 2006. They only took a small amount of cash from me but the experience itself was traumatizing and no the crooks were never caught. Acts like these are what terrorizes a neighborhood and they happen with more frequency if a municipal government is soft on crime. You can have as many neighborhood watches as you can but let's be honest, this is a big city, and the best and perhaps only deterrent is a tough on crime attitude from the City.
What part of town?

Old 12-04-2021, 02:16 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,969,295 times
Quote:
That is such a terrifying and traumatic experience, even if you don't get hurt. The sense of personal violation is terrible. And for those who get hurt, it is much much worse. The cavalier attitude that many have adopted to crime these days, and the sympathy for criminals over the victims of their crimes, really makes me very angry.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:57 AM

3,976 posts, read 5,791,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space_League View Post
What part of town?

It happened in my own Adams Village neighborhood in Dorchester. east of Ashmont Station. The six youth most likely did not live in my neighborhood but were prowling around in their off time looking for victims and then jumped on the Red Line and took off. Later, I learned from another resident that her son was also robbed by that group but they were never found. That's what I mean about such crimes. My neighborhood is a quiet residential neighborhood with families and folks who walk their dogs but that's just it, it's a quiet residential neighborhood easy to fall prey to small crimes if the authorities let their guard down. Such incident could have happened in West Roxbury or even some suburb but it still needs to be taken seriously.

Old 12-05-2021, 10:12 AM

I know quite a few people who have been robbed in dorchester. Either walking down the st or had a home broken into.

Old 12-05-2021, 06:16 PM

2,386 posts, read 1,870,362 times
Quote:
It happened in my own Adams Village neighborhood in Dorchester. east of Ashmont Station. The six youth most likely did not live in my neighborhood but were prowling around in their off time looking for victims and then jumped on the Red Line and took off. Later, I learned from another resident that her son was also robbed by that group but they were never found. That's what I mean about such crimes. My neighborhood is a quiet residential neighborhood with families and folks who walk their dogs but that's just it, it's a quiet residential neighborhood easy to fall prey to small crimes if the authorities let their guard down. Such incident could have happened in West Roxbury or even some suburb but it still needs to be taken seriously.
Sorry to hear it happened to you. Although it could have happened anywhere, I feel like your story is exactly what NIBYs will cite who don't want the Red Line (or whatever train line) stopping in their neighborhood because it brings criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston