Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 09:58 AM

16,356 posts, read 8,174,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
A cop gunned down an unarmed physician's kid in front of my house a couple of years ago. The kid had been a Northeastern engineering student and summer yacht club launch driver before drugs & mental health issues pushed him off the rails. The cop had a CV typical of the cops in my town. C- High School student. A couple years in the military. Criminal Justice Associates at the local community college. Civil Service jumped him to the top of the queue. Not the qualifications I'd want for someone armed a couple hundred feet from my house.
Well what other jobs is a C- student with an associates degree supposed to do these days? What about the people who actually get Ds and Fs? Should people who have a C- average in high school let that define their life and they shouldn't be able to find work as anything except a minimum wage worker ?

How does profiling every cop as this solve anything ? Are you saying everyone should be expected to have an A or B average in high school to get a decent job ? What about people with undiagnosed learning disabilities and mental illness?

This is where I call out this forum as being a bunch of elitist privileged people who really don't know how the real work works. News flash: the majority of people in the US have C average in high school. Most people don't come from Boston attending the finest public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2021, 09:59 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,320,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfatdude View Post
Officer tries to arrest the perp, perp resist, officer struggles with the perp and slams him to the ground, 100 cell phone videos of the slamming part with everything prior conveniently left out rile up the acab lynch mob, Crump&Co shows up and sues the officer. Decent officers often need to use force when dealing with indecent criminals violently resisting arrest, qualified immunity protects them from having Crump&Co suing them into oblivion.
Whoever Crump&Co is won't win the lawsuit if the officer did nothing wrong. You're trying to flip the script and make the police out to be the poor victims here. They are not.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:01 AM

If I were a cop I just wouldn't go after anyone right now and I think that's what some are doing unless faced with a situation where teenage girls are stabbing each other and there's no choice but to step in. I'd go on strike.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:05 AM

Just seems like the empathetic bleeding heart liberals have little to say in these debates other than cops are dumb and white trash.

How about the criminals they deal with every day ? Are they dumb and trashy too ? Or are they just sad people who had it rough in life?

Old 04-21-2021, 10:15 AM

12,842 posts, read 22,014,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I think the last time I heard of a black man getting pulled over because he was driving a nice car it was the 90s. If it happens now in Boston its likely because the person does have warrants or is doing something wrong. Same for anyone of any color.
My cousin is black and very successful (Computer Science MBA from NEU and manages a big team at a large Boston company) and is regularly pulled over in his 7-series for driving while black. It's always some excuse like "this vehicle matches the description of one that was reported stolen," or "That tint is dark, I need to make sure it's legal" (it's the factory tint - the car is unmodified). No tickets (because he's not doing anything wrong), but generally pulled over several times per year.

I saw my former boss (a black woman) get stopped just before turning into one of our suburban offices in her Cayenne because the cop "thought one of her brake lights wasn't working" (it was working fine). This was 3 years ago and she was mortified because it happened in front of coworkers arriving for work and really angry because it's not the first time it happened.

It definitely happens.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
There actually have been cases of drs shooting patients. And by the time the criminal patient is in the hospital they're shackled!!! Try again.

I think the last time I heard of a black man getting pulled over because he was driving a nice car it was the 90s. If it happens now in Boston its likely because the person does have warrants or is doing something wrong. Same for anyone of any color.

And funny how this has become about race and here you are calling cops white trash.

Not saying anyone deserves to die at the hands of police but don't compare cops to nurses. It's completely different. And when things do happen at hospitals security comes in.
Shackled is now on par with tazing, macing, and shooting? That's cute.

Oh, it's very much still a thing. Might not hear about it in your social circles, but it does, and certainly nationally (and this is a national problem).

If you don't like white trash, I'm happy to change out the term. Mouth breather? Idiot? Low IQ High Testosterone?

Why can't I compare cops to nurses? People place their lives in both hands daily. Both are responsible for the safety of others daily. And, yes, again security does come in -- nobody has said we shouldn't have police or security. I am saying they don't require qualified immunity to do their jobs effectively, and if they do it's because they lack the skills or basic decision-making capabilities to not kill, injure, or maim the person they're arresting. No other profession gets such sweeping protections from the consequences of making mistakes, and incidentally, few other professions make as many mistakes as police do. Cops today can literally batter down my door, slam me to the ground, trash my home, then go "oops, wrong house" and walk away -- and they're not even liable for paying for repairs? Shoot the wrong person dead? Not liable.

Doctors operate on the wrong guy? Liable. Kill a patient on the operating table because of a screwup? Liable.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Just seems like the empathetic bleeding heart liberals have little to say in these debates other than cops are dumb and white trash.

How about the criminals they deal with every day ? Are they dumb and trashy too ? Or are they just sad people who had it rough in life?
Criminals are also dumb and trashy, but they're also not driving around with tacky flags in their window and yelling "criminal lives matter" all over social media.

The problem, if I may, is that police forces across the US today has become some sort of warped Colonel Jessup version of itself, convinced of its own heroism even while committing atrocities to the people they swore to protect and serve.

If they stopped and went 'woah, yeah, we're pretty messed up, we need to do some house cleaning' and actually followed through, relations would improve. Instead, it's childish crap like 'you don't know the first thing about policing' or 'you want us on that street, you NEED us on that street' that they respond with. That's the kind of thing that earns them their dumb white trash scout badge.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:28 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,063,706 times
You don't know who Crump&Co is? What kind of acabbie are you? Also you don't think juries will vote the way the lynch mob waiting outside the courthouse and the cancel mob waiting on the internet wants them to vote?

So let's try again - you call the cops because your 6'2", 280lb "man" got loaded again and walked you into the door, acab and all but can't call ghostbusters when you're getting beat up by a non-ghost. Cop shows up, needless to say "the man" gets combative and confrontational. Are you OK with cop leaving, letting you deal with it and coming back later when things calm down and "the man" goes willingly, or do you expect him to engage in a violent struggle and get sued into the ground because a nose got broken and a rib got bruised in the process?

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Whoever Crump&Co is won't win the lawsuit if the officer did nothing wrong. You're trying to flip the script and make the police out to be the poor victims here. They are not.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:30 AM

I've never heard of a mouth breather.

I have no problem with making it harder for people to become a cop. In MA to become a cop it already isn't particularly easy. I'd think Minneapolis requires the same types credentials. I believe they've already lowered the exam qualification in Boston because minorities complained it was too hard (kind of like what is happening at bps with exams). I personally think a college degree should be a requirement across the board. Most cops in MA have them but that's most likely because this state is more educated than a place like Minnesota or Missouri. Why they haven't made a degree a requirement is beyond me. If you carry a gun and at times are in control of the lives of others then why shouldn't a degree be required ?

Cops technically do have a lot of power but they are being held accountable for their actions more than they were in the past. Thankfully the only time I've ever needed the police was to call them when neighbors were being loud at 3 in the morning. I have been pulled over before for speeding. I'm thankful I guess that I haven't lived a life that required the cops to be after me.

Old 04-21-2021, 10:34 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Criminals are also dumb and trashy, but they're also not driving around with tacky flags in their window and yelling "criminal lives matter" all over social media.

The problem, if I may, is that police forces across the US today has become some sort of warped Colonel Jessup version of itself, convinced of its own heroism even while committing atrocities to the people they swore to protect and serve.

If they stopped and went 'woah, yeah, we're pretty messed up, we need to do some house cleaning' and actually followed through, relations would improve. Instead, it's childish crap like 'you don't know the first thing about policing' or 'you want us on that street, you NEED us on that street' that they respond with. That's the kind of thing that earns them their dumb white trash scout badge.
Are the tacky stickers the blue line flags? I see plenty of people that arent cops that have those. Are you ok with the BLM stickers? Or the I'm with her stickers I still see on cars? Again you clearly just have issues with cops in general to nit pick about car stickers.

At the end of the day cops want to get home to their families too. If they are power hungry to arrest people then I don't agree with that either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston