Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2021, 05:39 AM

5,114 posts, read 2,668,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Fair enough. I value your opinion and experiences you describe on different topics over the years. Good to read your views on this post.

But to me, Cambridge can be gritty/ dumpy. More than some would expect, perhaps, as I think its image to some is of widespread prosperity and charm -- if one never visits or just goes to Brattle Street or Harvard Square or other select sections.

Sure, the desirable areas are appealing, and I enjoy strolling or driving through them. But some of the side streets off of Columbia, from Main Street to the Broadway and the Hampshire Street intersections aren't too nice. (Maybe with some exceptions.) Toss in a section of nearby Harvard Street in there, near Whole Foods Market on Prospect Street, plus parts of Cambridge Street as well as streets off of Hampshire Street (maybe Elm, Prospect?) adjoining Somerville, and those parts aren't appealing visually. And Bishop Allen Drive, not far from Whole Foods Market on Prospect, has many junky dwellings.

Even parts of Cambridge off Belmont Street near the Mt. Auburn Street Star market as it approaches Belmont, Massachusetts, don't seem too fancy. Seems there's a housing project tucked back there among recent homes? Also, aren't some of the streets off of the Mass. Ave.and Rindge Avenue area, especially heading up to those (subsidized?) towers at Rindge and Alewife Brook Parkway, a bit junky?

Even those streets off of Brookline Street between Memorial Drive and Massachusetts Avenue are crowded and in some or many cases seem a bit rundown? But yes, all of these areas noted in this post are still expensive, and I couldn't afford a 1 BR rental.

Meanwhile, I have lived in a dumpy accomodation in North Quincy on a dumpy street for 16 plus years after leaving Brookline, after 11 years where housemates made it relatively cheap but the landlord decided to sell, so we vacated with a couple months notice. I have a good deal, so won't leave for now. Plus I like Quincy in general, and it's gotten much more appealing, I think, since my arrival. But of course it has its share of gritty, run down streets I stroll through. But most would expect that more in Quincy, Revere, Everettt or Lynn versus Cambridge. So that's why I seem to be picking on Cambridge...maybe unfairly.

Maybe I should stay out of parts of Central Square, where I sometimes go to eateries or transfer on the 70 bus to Waltham to visit a friend. Some real mentally and visually unstable creeps meandering around there. As if that's news to anyone! Recently, I was fat shamed there by a 40 year-old or so black male passing by as I was stuffing my face and minding my own business at the bus stop. ("You fat piece of $##&5*!!!!!"'...Porky Piiigggggg!!!!" ) Yes, he must have had mental illness, as too many around there do. So maybe that part of town has always tainted my view of Cambridge a bit. Heck, I don't like being overweight or seeing others so unfit, so I don't blame him, but at least most mentally fit people don't fat shame while passing through a neighborhood or in a store, thankfully.

So what's your solution, outlaw mentally ill people who say things you don't like? You're here sort of shaming mentally ill people. You're not doing it to their face, but you're doing it nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2021, 05:40 AM

23,570 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post

Maybe I should stay out of parts of Central Square, where I sometimes go to eateries or transfer on the 70 bus to Waltham to visit a friend. Some real mentally and visually unstable creeps meandering around there. As if that's news to anyone! Recently, I was fat shamed there by a 40 year-old or so black male passing by as I was stuffing my face and minding my own business at the bus stop. ("You fat piece of $##&5*!!!!!"'...Porky Piiigggggg!!!!" ) Yes, he must have had mental illness, as too many around there do. So maybe that part of town has always tainted my view of Cambridge a bit. Heck, I don't like being overweight or seeing others so unfit, so I don't blame him, but at least most mentally fit people don't fat shame while passing through a neighborhood or in a store, thankfully.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
In my view gritty sections = real city. Clean and sanitized = boring densely populated suburbs. We have enough of the latter.

I'm all about gritty, but on Central Square I can't disagree with Bostonguy's synopsis. Unless it changed dramatically in recent years, it's always been a weird creepy place. Can't find any appealing qualities there whatsoever.

Old 05-26-2021, 06:06 AM

3,219 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Ya got it buddy, I'm on an "agenda" to take your e-cigs away.
I quit those. But I do still live in Boston. It was an honest question because based on all the threads you start about a place you do not live in one would think this place is the Gaza Strip. What exactly is your intention?

Old 05-26-2021, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
What exactly is your intention?

To discuss topics of interest, that are related to this City-"Data" forum. 2020 saw a 54% increase in murders for the city of Boston, you don't think that's an issue???

Old 05-26-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:
To discuss topics of interest, that are related to this City-"Data" forum. 2020 saw a 54% increase in murders for the city of Boston, you don't think that's an issue???
I think it is an issue of concern for the residence yes. But it seems there are a couple of posters that do not live here that constantly post these type of things.

Old 05-26-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
I think it is an issue of concern for the residence yes. But it seems there are a couple of posters that do not live here that constantly post these type of things.

Can I live somewhere else and still have ties/family/visits to the area, where it might be on my radar? That permitted by your book?

Old 05-26-2021, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Can I live somewhere else and still have ties/family/visits to the area, where it might be on my radar? That permitted by your book?
Oh by all means. But it maybe more helpful to hear peoples prospective from the inside rather than someone from afar just constantly posting news clippings of crime. A lot of these things happen close by to me and my family and for some reason we are not scared to leave our homes.

Old 05-26-2021, 08:03 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Yes, it's an issue...a national one. 2020 was not a good year for not dying. Milwaukee 2020 murder rate was up 94.9% from 2019. Minneapolis 72.3%. New Orleans 61.7%.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:01 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,974,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by id77 View Post
Yes, it's an issue...a national one. 2020 was not a good year for not dying. Milwaukee 2020 murder rate was up 94.9% from 2019. Minneapolis 72.3%. New Orleans 61.7%.

And an issue that was completely predicted by those that study crime trends and made projections due to covid without the influx of a massive government economic response for the most vulnerable, something we didn't see. They are also predicting (per several journal articles I've read) for this to subsist awhile even though the indices so often touted as bellweathers of the economy return to "normal" (unemployment rate, dow level, etc) as those indices have perpetually failed to capture the economic wellbeing of those in the bottom rungs of the economy.

Old 05-26-2021, 10:08 AM

16,412 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Boston has really become a city of people who are wealthy and then people who are poor and barely getting by. There's no more in between.

The housing market everywhere seems out of control, not just in Greater Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston