Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2022, 09:34 AM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times

Advertisements

The sight of most of the old orange line trains should be an embarrassment to this city and state. Every time I visit my family in Europe i shake my head when i see the trains rolling though. they make us look like we are 100 years behind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2022, 09:45 AM

12,825 posts, read 22,003,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
The sight of most of the old orange line trains should be an embarrassment to this city and state. Every time I visit my family in Europe i shake my head when i see the trains rolling though. they make us look like we are 100 years behind.
Honestly, 100 years old can be charming under the right circumstances. Just see the F-Line in San Francisco, the historic street cars in Lisbon, New Orleans, Istanbul, etc. or even the Mattapan High Speed Line. They're not the most comfortable or modern, but still effective at what they do and with a classic look/feel. They're the Fenway Park or Wrigley Field of transit. But those Orange Line trains are worse. Visibly decrepit, barely functional, dark, and dingy. The old Foxboro Stadium of trains. At least Foxboro Stadium was mercifully put down nearly 20 years ago, but we're still riding those old Orange Line trains (which debuted less than a decade after the now long-gone Foxboro Stadium). Super embarrassing.

Old 05-16-2022, 10:08 AM

23,571 posts, read 18,678,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think at least 3 considering where we are in terms of the rollout. There's a single 6-car train right now. The original plan was to have 22 new 6-car trains running by 2022 and then an additional 20 new 6-car trains by 2025 to complete an entire fleet replacement. With a single car running right now and months between the introduction of new ones, I can't see the initial 132 cars (22 full trains) being online by 2025. Between factory delays, issues with manufacturing defects, federal and state probes into the manufacturer, COVID, supply chain disruption, etc. there's just no way we're going to see the gap narrow at all.

Typical.

I would be happy if they just got the current ones up to an acceptable speed. Both times I've ridden it recently, I swear I could run faster. All this after they replaced all the ties just a couple of years ago? What a joke. No wonder so many choose to drive instead.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:09 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
yea its borderline scary how old and rusted some of the orange line cars are and how bad they've gotten in the last 10 years

Old 05-16-2022, 03:10 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,727,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I think at least 3 considering where we are in terms of the rollout. There's a single 6-car train right now. The original plan was to have 22 new 6-car trains running by 2022 and then an additional 20 new 6-car trains by 2025 to complete an entire fleet replacement. With a single car running right now and months between the introduction of new ones, I can't see the initial 132 cars (22 full trains) being online by 2025. Between factory delays, issues with manufacturing defects, federal and state probes into the manufacturer, COVID, supply chain disruption, etc. there's just no way we're going to see the gap narrow at all.
yea I was being conservative- the MBTA is a near-complete disaster that still has too many apologists. Disrepair is appropriate terminology.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:31 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
Quote:
You can probably see some of the same exact cars if you watch an re-run of "St Elsewhere" which aired during the 80's. The only difference being they were on elevated track as it made its way through the South End.

Old 05-16-2022, 03:35 PM

3,207 posts, read 2,115,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
You can probably see some of the same exact cars if you watch an re-run of "St Elsewhere" which aired during the 80's. The only difference being they were on elevated track as it made its way through the South End.
Thanks for the St. Elsewhere memory. I was more of a creature double feature kid. But my mom had this on loop in the kitchen.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:25 PM

5,094 posts, read 2,656,710 times
I partook in some Creature Feature here and there. I miss Dale Dorman!

Old 05-17-2022, 05:35 AM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
yea I was being conservative- the MBTA is a near-complete disaster that still has too many apologists. Disrepair is appropriate terminology.
That’s what happens when all of the money is spent on self-approved 160 hour weekly timecards and fat pensions resulting from the said time cards.

Old 05-17-2022, 06:11 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Sadly the MBTA would rather shut down and bustitute the entire Orange Line for long term if there are inadequate trains running rather than work every effort to get all of the new trains delivered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston