Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 11:32 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,791,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestieWhitie View Post
So homie, you don't care about what us white devils think but we should care about your every fart?
You should say what you have to say without being condecsending and talking down to people. When you do that, whatever you say that might be valid or worth considering is immediately lost or severly degraded.

To be clear, I'm talking about starting off your statement with the word "homie" when you are speaking to a Black person.

You will likely take that that as me being someone who is a militent left wing crazy snowflake but it is my attempt to help you understand how to communicate in a way that shows respect. It is a cornerstone of intelligent discussion/debate. Without it, an argument or point of view doesn't matter and any influence your words may have had will disintgegrate because they take second place to condescension.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:52 AM

16,317 posts, read 8,150,917 times
Since white people's opinions of black people and black culture is so important today please explain why black 'artists' often feel the need to degrade themselves with how they sing about women and themselves. Lil Nas X is popular right now and here are some of his lyrics:

"And these girls know that I'm nasty (mm)
I sent her back to her boyfriend
With my handprint on her @ss cheek"

and from a different song:

"I'm the black Tom Brady in this, I'm the G.O.A.T. now (haha)"

Please don't say, oh it's funny, they don't mean it, yada yada. They are saying what they think people want to hear. The first quote is degrading to women (and the boyfriend I guess) and there is no need for the 2nd quote. Are there not enough famous black athletes?

These are words that our youth are listening to. I'm not saying my son is going to follow in the footsteps of lil nas but when they said the word @ss it was beeped out and he just looked at me. Both my kids know that rap songs are mainly filled with swears because of the BEEP BEEP and 'blank noise' that comes in on the songs.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:10 PM

21,628 posts, read 12,733,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Since white people's opinions of black people and black culture is so important today please explain why black 'artists' often feel the need to degrade themselves with how they sing about women and themselves. Lil Nas X is popular right now and here are some of his lyrics:

"And these girls know that I'm nasty (mm)
I sent her back to her boyfriend
With my handprint on her @ss cheek"

and from a different song:

"I'm the black Tom Brady in this, I'm the G.O.A.T. now (haha)"

Please don't say, oh it's funny, they don't mean it, yada yada. They are saying what they think people want to hear. The first quote is degrading to women (and the boyfriend I guess) and there is no need for the 2nd quote. Are there not enough famous black athletes?

These are words that our youth are listening to. I'm not saying my son is going to follow in the footsteps of lil nas but when they said the word @ss it was beeped out and he just looked at me. Both my kids know that rap songs are mainly filled with swears because of the BEEP BEEP and 'blank noise' that comes in on the songs.
Not sure what this is in response to but this was Big Karen energy.
T
his was like PG rated lyrics.

Also, black people DO NOT listen to Lil Nas X, maybe like gay black people but no- he is an artist for white folks primarily. He doesn't get spins on urban stations. Hes like a KISS 108 guy

Old 07-11-2022, 02:16 PM

2,614 posts, read 1,211,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post

Also, black people DO NOT listen to Lil Nas X, maybe like gay black people but no- he is an artist for white folks primarily. He doesn't get spins on urban stations. Hes like a KISS 108 guy
Only Boomer black folk don't listen to him.

Radio stations? LOL.

Go on TikTok.

Gen Z black people are all about him.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020's YouTube Vlog View Post
Only Boomer black folk don't listen to him.

Radio stations? LOL.

Go on TikTok.

Gen Z black people are all about him.
When I say radio stations talking terrestrial, sirius xm, apple radio (all of which i have- none of whom play Lil Nas X)

Tik Tok? That is how you gauge music popularity? lmao.

Also, most black people are not Gen Z tik tokers.

I've never heard a black person play Lil Nas X lol... thats not a thing that happens.

Maybe some kids do- i would know. I don't have tik tok...

At 28 years old. I am now a boomer according to a youtube vlogger. Ill take it.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Tik Tok? That is how you gauge music popularity? lmao.
Looks like all the big labels and artists are using TikTok to gauge music popularity:

He Had a Billion-Stream Hit. Now His Songs Are in Limbo Until They Go Viral on TikTok
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...aniel-1360904/

Old 07-11-2022, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Looks like all the big labels and artists are using TikTok to gauge music popularity:

He Had a Billion-Stream Hit. Now His Songs Are in Limbo Until They Go Viral on TikTok
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/m...aniel-1360904/
yea..pop music. In hip hop it is Instagram. For RnB its just grown black people who get music through searching, word of mouth primarily.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:41 PM

Quote:
yea..pop music. In hip hop it is Instagram. For RnB its just grown black people who get music through searching, word of mouth primarily.
Hip hop in 2022 is pop.

Most Gen Z'ers and even Millennials consider Drake the greatest rapper of all time.

He is also a pop star.

Plus everything hot on IG was first poppin on TikTok.

That's why IG is trying to be more like TikTok and focusing on IG Reels.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Hip hop in 2022 is pop.

Most Gen Z'ers and even Millennials consider Drake the greatest rapper of all time.

He is also a pop star.
Not really. People say this but no. Pop is pop.

Most of that "hip hop" aint really hip hop.

"Honestly, Nevermind" was a mostly Pop/House album with hip hop imaging.

Old 07-11-2022, 02:47 PM

2,066 posts, read 1,071,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
You should say what you have to say without being condecsending and talking down to people. When you do that, whatever you say that might be valid or worth considering is immediately lost or severly degraded.

To be clear, I'm talking about starting off your statement with the word "homie" when you are speaking to a Black person.

You will likely take that that as me being someone who is a militent left wing crazy snowflake but it is my attempt to help you understand how to communicate in a way that shows respect. It is a cornerstone of intelligent discussion/debate. Without it, an argument or point of view doesn't matter and any influence your words may have had will disintgegrate because they take second place to condescension.

Hope that helps.
I am well aware of that but homie started the homie thing. And no, I do not think you're any sort of snowflake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston