Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 03:46 PM

4 posts, read 10,570 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I am graduating from nursing school in 2 months. I currently live in Texas, but I want to move to Boston. Does anyone know how I should go about trying to get a job in Boston? I have heard that it is very competitive with the new graduates that already live there. So does anyone have any tips? Any specific hospitals that would be great to work at/ or better chances of getting a job at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2012, 10:43 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,472,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse nicole View Post
Hey everyone!
I am graduating from nursing school in 2 months. I currently live in Texas, but I want to move to Boston. Does anyone know how I should go about trying to get a job in Boston? I have heard that it is very competitive with the new graduates that already live there. So does anyone have any tips? Any specific hospitals that would be great to work at/ or better chances of getting a job at?
Well first do you have a BSN? The major Med Centers in BOS are beginning to require that.

The biggest and best are Partners Health Care, Beth Israel, New England Med ctr/Tufts, Boston Medical Center. Google them. Others include Caritas Christi (St Elizabeth), New England Baptist, Spaulding Rehab.

You'll want to live in Downtown Boston. See these pics FYI.
//www.city-data.com/forum/membe...ton-page8.html

You'll need 3 months rent just to get a place (1st month/last month/security deposit). Expect 1K per month min for a tiny studio.

You won't need a car, though you might want one. Plan for at least $2000 per year auto insurance, $150 month for a parking space at your apt, and $15/day to park at work if you drive in. Better idea - ditch the car, walk to work or take the T or free shuttles.

Most recommended hospitals - Mass General, Brigham. Harvard Med School is physically attached to the Brigham.

Old 02-24-2012, 04:50 AM

546 posts, read 1,376,550 times
I am agreeing with xsobe with the hospitals. You picked a great city for your proffesion. Congrats

Old 02-24-2012, 09:33 AM

2,463 posts, read 2,787,617 times
As long as you have an RN that should be plenty. The BSN program is identical, but requires more liberal arts type courses. It is the LPN that might have difficulty. Boston has an abundance of hospitals. Usually, the best way to be hired is to have done some clinical work at a particular hospital while a student, but not necessary. I would consider using an agency that works with travel nurses to help secure a job in this area. We already have an abundance in place, now, and we even have nurses from overseas. If you are determined, you shouldn't have any problem.

Old 02-24-2012, 11:41 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
To work at the major Harvard/Tufts/BU Med teaching hospitals, such as MGH, Brigham, BU Med, Tufst Med Center, you'll need a BSN; quite standard, actually..

Also, be prepared for a rise in the cost of living,a nd be prepared to pay 3-4 months of rent up front ( first, last, sec deposit, realtor's fee) just to get started. Perhaps you can avoid one of these paymenst, but you'll still need a good sum of money. One advantage--you do not necessarily need a car to live in/near the city, as the subway/bus/commuter rail system is quite extensive..

Old 02-24-2012, 11:50 AM

Thank you everyone for the great advice! Yes, I will have my BSN and I an taking the NCLEX right after I graduate. My GPA is not great..its only a 3.2, but I am not sure if that matters. I have applied to a couple jobs, but most of them require experience, which really makes it really difficult for a new graduate. How can I prove that I am a great nurse if they don't give me the chance to prove it?

Old 02-24-2012, 12:01 PM

Also, what are some great ways to meet new people in Boston? Im not looking for a boyfriend, but just some friends.

Old 02-24-2012, 12:46 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,912,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse nicole View Post
Also, what are some great ways to meet new people in Boston? Im not looking for a boyfriend, but just some friends.
If you can find a nursing spot in one of Boston's major teaching hospitals, then I can almost guarantee that you'll have a ready-made social life..

Old 02-24-2012, 03:29 PM

2,202 posts, read 5,356,175 times
Has anyone who answered that actually got a nursing job recently? I know of a number of young women who recently graduated from very good schools who relocated out of MA to find nursing jobs. All had done internships or worked in Boston hospitals during school breaks.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:52 PM

103 posts, read 301,346 times
Great city to be in the medical profession, for sure! While I was a psychology undergrad (graduated in 2010, worked as a CNA between 2007 and 2009), I worked as a CNA and there were quite a few nurses with BSNs from overseas.

It's not clear if you have hospital experience or not. Has your program had you do hospital rotations? If not, you may want to try nursing homes and rehabilitation clinics. Those can provide a good segue into hospital work if you don't have that experience. I do honestly think it would be very difficult to work at a major hospital here without that experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston