Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2023, 11:19 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,414,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartGotts View Post
Confederate gear is akin to Nazi gear... It's hard to justify being a fan of either. Not sure that is a good test of tolerance/acceptance etc.
It's an unproven assumption in each individual's case (and would be in mine.) Just like judging from the color of one's skin.

According to your line of thought their signs should read, "Some are Welcome Here." See what I'm saying?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 11:56 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
It's an unproven assumption in each individual's case (and would be in mine.) Just like judging from the color of one's skin.

According to your line of thought their signs should read, "Some are Welcome Here." See what I'm saying?
I am not going to agree with that but, you have the right to your opinion.

Old 12-19-2023, 12:32 PM

18,563 posts, read 7,368,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
for suuuuuure.

Things minorities actually want don't make it past the 85% white state house because white people say so. Which is often the answer given, if anything at all.

White (wo)man ultimately will always have the Final Call because that show you all designed the local government to operate.

If minorities called the shots, trust me, a lot of things would be very different right now.
Then white people need to make sure "minorities" never call the shots, correct?

Old 12-19-2023, 12:46 PM

35,060 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Then white people need to make sure "minorities" never call the shots, correct?
Why should anyone get to "call the shots" to the exclusion of others?

Old 12-19-2023, 01:13 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,011,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
for suuuuuure.

Things minorities actually want don't make it past the 85% white state house because white people say so. Which is often the answer given, if anything at all.

White (wo)man ultimately will always have the Final Call because that show you all designed the local government to operate.

If minorities called the shots, trust me, a lot of things would be very different right now.
I mean minorities just aren’t an interest group?

Arabs, African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics don’t care about the same things.

African Americans may care about Criminal Justice, Hispanics immigration, Arabs might care about Halal options in school cafeterias. Asians Americans might care about ESL services. (Not to mention non African American minorities are pretty far from a partisan monolith anyway)

The fact “minorities” aren’t a monolith is what makes it weird to exclude White people.

It’s negative exclusion. It would be way less weird if they had an Asian American Holiday party celebrating a existence of a community rather than excluding one in particular.

Old 12-19-2023, 02:11 PM

296 posts, read 528,380 times
The problem is that Wu is the Mayor of the City of Boston. The entire city. Not just chinatown or mattapan but every square inch. Boston has not always been the clear leader in the past with racial diversity. The mayor is the beginning and the absolute end as far as city politics are involved. She cannot exclude anyone in any way , shape or fashion when dealing with the people of Boston. Having the " Electeds of Color" party shown such divisiveness that does not reflect on her positively . My argument is what if there was a white mayor in office and they put out an email inviting "Whites only" or "Catholics only" , then the msm and every liberal would have a stroke condemning the party.

Old 12-19-2023, 02:50 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisal1902 View Post
If the white city council members had decided to identify as POCs in order to go to Wu's party ... would she have let them attend?
They should have been allowed to go anyway. It's fine to single out POCs to celebrate their achievement, and/or the fact they've made it to govt positions, but not to be exclusionary.

Old 12-19-2023, 03:18 PM

6,125 posts, read 5,095,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisal1902 View Post
I agree! My post was tongue-in-cheek.
...which is often not readily apparent on City-Data! Got it

Old 12-19-2023, 03:38 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
poor stupid Wu couldn't have sat down with a pencil and a pad of paper and dictated a way to destroy her time as Mayor as this stunt. She's the hood ornament for racism in Mass from now on.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:30 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,754,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I mean minorities just aren’t an interest group?

Arabs, African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics don’t care about the same things.

African Americans may care about Criminal Justice, Hispanics immigration, Arabs might care about Halal options in school cafeterias. Asians Americans might care about ESL services. (Not to mention non African American minorities are pretty far from a partisan monolith anyway)

The fact “minorities” aren’t a monolith is what makes it weird to exclude White people.

It’s negative exclusion. It would be way less weird if they had an Asian American Holiday party celebrating an existence of a community rather than excluding one in particular.
not white is the commonality, honestly: white people just aren’t really aware of the tensions they cause among Hispanics and Asians I guess. Particularly in Boston, where there no one major minority group and whites haven’t really willingly ceded power to anyone.

This isn’t to say it all kumbaya over here but the history is very different and less oppressive amongst all of us than it is between any group and white people. We all are generally blue (especially in Massachusetts) and generally way more urban than white people.

I mean I literally watched white kids ridicule one of two eat Asian kids in my class without hesitation. I do wonder how he felt internally. We were friend by virtue of being non whites playing lacrosse at high level in small white school but we didn’t discuss that. But yea lotta cringe accents and jokes about family honor…heard one kid from Walpole call him a “freaking kamikaze”

Now maybe this would all happen in a black school idk. But it def was happening at my schools.

Black people have to live with a bad brand righ? we have a bad some circles crime, or poverty. We know that to be the case we know where it comes from. We deal with it best we can

. White peoples brand isn’t as strong as you all think it is, but the perception is skewed, because people have to conform to what you all would like to see, in order to make money gain access to hall of power or do anything for productive reall. But in peoples freetime theydon’t always wanna y’know…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston