Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2023, 04:28 PM

6,288 posts, read 5,162,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Anyone under the age of 21 who isn't liberal has no heart. Anyone who isn't conservative after the age of 21 has no brain.
Even conservatives of today can no longer define the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2023, 04:39 PM

21,770 posts, read 12,915,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It's OK to have so-called "affinity groups". In large companies, this is common and encouraged as part of DEI initiatives. Back in GE we had a "Women's Network", "African American Forum", etc. which all held their own mixers and events. The key difference? Regardless of what the groups were called, membership and attendance were open to all, regardless of race or gender. That's where Mayor Wu fell down IMO.
It was open to all, not all were invited. White people will, again- be just fine. Watch Wedding Crashers and make believe you were there.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:47 PM

21,770 posts, read 12,915,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In 2023 Boston? Really???
for suuuuuure.

Things minorities actually want don't make it past the 85% white state house because white people say so. Which is often the answer given, if anything at all.

White (wo)man ultimately will always have the Final Call because that show you all designed the local government to operate.

If minorities called the shots, trust me, a lot of things would be very different right now.

Old 12-18-2023, 06:03 PM

1,063 posts, read 705,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
The older i get the more conservative i become
Who are you and what have you done with Masssachoicetts?

Old 12-18-2023, 06:09 PM

1,063 posts, read 705,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
It was open to all, not all were invited. White people will, again- be just fine. Watch Wedding Crashers and make believe you were there.
Nobody is saying white people won't be fine.

I think the issue is that a city government website was used to send out invites to a party that intentionally excluded one race of people.

I'm not sure if it's legal or illegal, but it's a bad look for a government that is supposed to represent all people in the city.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:53 PM

6,288 posts, read 5,162,666 times
Quote:
If all weren't invited, it wasn't proper to hold under the auspices of city govt.

Old 12-18-2023, 10:00 PM

3,774 posts, read 4,124,033 times
Quote:
It was not open to all; it was only open to people of color. Everyone received an invitation, but that was a mistake for which she apologized and then said that the only people invited were people of color.

I'm white, I'm not even in Boston, and it looks like I'll be just fine. However, I am extremely disappointed that people of color, who wanted so badly to be integrated into one society where everyone is treated equal, now want to be segregated from white people. This party is the perfect example, and is a stark reminder that integration has failed miserably.

Old 12-19-2023, 04:18 AM

5,155 posts, read 2,717,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
It was not open to all; it was only open to people of color. Everyone received an invitation, but that was a mistake for which she apologized and then said that the only people invited were people of color.

I'm white, I'm not even in Boston, and it looks like I'll be just fine. However, I am extremely disappointed that people of color, who wanted so badly to be integrated into one society where everyone is treated equal, now want to be segregated from white people. This party is the perfect example, and is a stark reminder that integration has failed miserably.
That's BS and it wasn't just black people who sought equality for all, it was most whites through our Constitution. What you see here is simply another form of prejudice, fueled by political interests for the purpose of dividing and conquering. All humans are susceptible to being prejudiced regardless of what demographic they fall into. There are many blacks who don't buy into all this. Where did you come from? Do you even know any blacks? You sound like a modern day George Wallace.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:42 AM

12,198 posts, read 8,103,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Who are you and what have you done with Masssachoicetts?
dw im still very liberal, just more or less anit-democrat atm

Old 12-19-2023, 05:50 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,350,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
dw im still very liberal, just more or less anit-democrat atm
I can relate to this. Wu just showed dems are not for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston