Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2023, 11:11 AM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

It wouldnt surprise if Harvard does have an alumni dinner just for POC, lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 11:15 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,345,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
they want to have a party for black elected officials. Are you mad at that? or that the invite got sent to the white elected officials?
When Harvard does an Alumni dinner are you triggered by that.
What about all girl gyms?
what about youth football ?
I'd like to respond if that's ok.

Harvard Alumni, not a trigger unless they exclude alumni based on skin color.

All Girl Gyms, I'm assuming private then not a trigger. If public then possibly a trigger if they do not have all men's workout time etc. Overall, I've only seen this for weight loss classes at private gyms where some women are very self-conscious about working out in front of men.

Youth Football, age based? Not a trigger. In fact, many football programs consider size and weight to prevent injuries. It's a contact sport and age/size/weight are almost like boxing weight classes. Plus, it is a parents choice to participate or not.

As far as the race based party. It is for elected public officials who are sworn in to represent EVERYONE. For those SAME elected officials to participate in an exclusionary event... worse than poor taste. Straight up racist.

If someone is apologizing for them, saying it's no big deal then please save your lame attempt at 'I'm not a racist' cred. We will never get past this bs if we make excuses for it.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:43 AM

959 posts, read 537,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
It's exclusionary for sure...which I'm not defending. I think the events could have been designated as they were, to recognize elected POCs specifically, but open to all to attend. But for it to qualify as racism requires a power dynamic. Which, last I checked, is still very much in favor of Whites.
It is a racism.

https://www.boston.gov/departments/c...ouncil-members

White folks is not a majority on this council.

Also ... just imagine reversed situation. White party and uninvited Blacks. Not just uninvited, but invitedand uninvited. And Mayor confirming they cannot attend sorry... There would be a HUGE outcry. Unless this is some sort of revenge for past injustices. City Council is not a place for that.

Old 12-14-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
they want to have a party for black elected officials. Are you mad at that? or that the invite got sent to the white elected officials?
I am fine with this.... but on this condition ... if it is normal for white elected officials to have party excluding black elected officials.

I am not OK with either as it is hugely regressive, but if we want this new strange kind of equity and justice then this is exactly how it should look like.

Otherwise how can it suit Diversity and Inclusion program? It is EXCLUSIVE. White people are publicly excluded based on race.

Old 12-14-2023, 12:26 PM

3,214 posts, read 2,120,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
It is a racism.

I see. You do have a very good point here.

Old 12-14-2023, 12:39 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,021,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruinsGirl View Post
It is a racism.

Also ... just imagine reversed situation. White party and uninvited Blacks. Not just uninvited, but invitedand uninvited. And Mayor confirming they cannot attend sorry... There would be a HUGE outcry. Unless this is some sort of revenge for past injustices. City Council is not a place for that.
The bold tips the scales for me. No matter what the racial makeup of the Council was, I still think it was handled extremely poorly (not just the email, but the follow-up as well). I'm not convinced it was unintentional either.

I do believe that power dynamics matter when we talk about the impact racism. If the council was majority white and a minority group of members (whether it was women, POC, etc.) decided they want to throw their own party - have at it. Affinity groups exist all over the public and private sector. There's a lot of value in minority groups supporting each other. But in this case, we're talking about a majority group excluding a minority group, and doing so in a way that seems petty at best. No, it's not even remotely on par with centuries of white on black racism (and other minority populations), but it goes beyond empowerment and celebrating diversity.

Old 12-14-2023, 12:56 PM

16,395 posts, read 8,187,139 times
In 2023 I see no reason as to why anyone should be having a POC party that excludes anyone based on skin color.

What a mess Boston has become

Old 12-14-2023, 01:02 PM

578 posts, read 303,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bo...01d51e92&ei=18

From the article:

"An invite concerning the Boston mayor’s holiday party, specifically for “Electeds of Color,” was mistakenly sent by an aide to all members of the Boston City Council.

Some 15 minutes later, that aide, Denise DosSantos, who serves as the mayor’s director of City Council relations, blasted up a follow-up email flagging the embarrassing error.

“I wanted to apologize for my previous email regarding a Holiday Party for tomorrow,” DosSantos wrote.

The white councilors were not supposed to receive an invite."

--------------------------------

Wow!
The party who claims it will unite us divides. Wow what a shocker….. not. They are the party of hate exclusion and anti free speach. What a disaster if a party.

Old 12-14-2023, 01:08 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,151,407 times
Quote:
What would bother me is if my tax dollars are helping to pay for this party.

Old 12-14-2023, 01:15 PM

I think my point is not the only reason.

Excluding a person based on race is excluding a person based on race whether it is minority or majority.

Same folks (white folks) is fighting for inclusion of minorities which are not minorities in Boston, but allows such treatment?

It is humiliating and will have consequences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston