Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 04:19 PM

3 posts, read 7,853 times

Advertisements

I dated a girl in Boston about three years ago for about 2 years (we broke up a year ago).

I lived in Jersey, and at the time, put my resume out online for boston people to read.

Someone found it a few weeks back and called me. The offer is so good, I may consider moving to Boston again. I love the city, go there about once a month with friends, and wouldn't mind experiencing something else OTHER than Jersey for once.

What do people like about Boston? Not like about Boston? I work out a lot: are the gyms decent?

Thanks!

-matt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 07:34 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,615 times
Boston and the surrounding area is a great I moved up from the South and find it so different than Southern cities. What I like is the proximity to nature so close to the city such as the Boston Harbor Islands, Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, etc. The city itself is so urban and vibrant with so many colleges, there are countless events and things to do.

On the negative side, people have a tendancy to be a little negative about the city, especially the media. They don't really appreciate what they have. Also, it is a problem if you don't like cold or if you are a conservative

Old 03-16-2007, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Boston and the surrounding area is a great I moved up from the South and find it so different than Southern cities. What I like is the proximity to nature so close to the city such as the Boston Harbor Islands, Blue Hills, Middlesex Fells, etc. The city itself is so urban and vibrant with so many colleges, there are countless events and things to do.

On the negative side, people have a tendancy to be a little negative about the city, especially the media. They don't really appreciate what they have. Also, it is a problem if you don't like cold or if you are a conservative
That's the thing. You moved up from the South I really have no desire to live on the West Coast. If anything, I think I would really enjoy living in Texas (like Austin) for a while. I've lived in New Jersey, so I've experienced New York.

I assume you find Boston much more "husstle busstle" than the Southern Cities. What are some of the things you like about Boston that you didn't like about the South, and vice versa? Also, I am liberal and I don't mind the cold And I would definitely live IN the city.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:00 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
I think Boston is very similar to Jersey (North). Only in a smaller scale. Less competitive; less things to do; less traffic; .... may be more time for you to find the things you like to do.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
I think Boston is very similar to Jersey (North). Only in a smaller scale. Less competitive; less things to do; less traffic; .... may be more time for you to find the things you like to do.
That's the thing. I don't really agree with you. I think there is MUCH more scenery outside the city vs. in Jersey.

Basically, here's the deal: I'm a 23 year old guy, just graduated College, and I don't like Jersey. I yearn to mean other people out there because, quite frankly, the people in Jersey are overall rude and I just can't handle it. Not the way I want to live my life. Most of my friends are from out of state, or VERY south jersey, and that's kind of for a reason

Some people have mentioned Boston as a nice place to go in meeting nice people, or also Austin, TX. Some mention San Fran, and some mention Iowa/Nebraska as finding very nice, simple people.

So many decisons.

Old 03-19-2007, 10:46 AM

124 posts, read 905,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjuszczak View Post
I yearn to mean other people out there because, quite frankly, the people in Jersey are overall rude and I just can't handle it. Not the way I want to live my life. Most of my friends are from out of state, or VERY south jersey, and that's kind.
I love the Boston area, and I love the people here -- BUT: if you are looking to get away from rude people and hope to find nice and friendly people, why Boston? We do not have an overall reputation of warmth. I hear on these boards a lot how rude we all are.

I do not feel we are, and I have had a different experience than those other people, but then, this is my home state and I just may be used to it. Out of staters have said it takes a while to get used to what they say is the rudeness here. Some people say they never get used to it, and they live.

I am not complaining personally about the attitudes of people here -- as I said, I love the city -- but I've heard often enough that we are not really friendly, and so if a primary reason to leave NJ is to escape rude and unfriendly people, perhaps this is not an ideal destination for you.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 25,203 times
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to this, but this seems a good place to write! Because my husband has a good job offer there, we probably are moving to Boston from Williamsburg, Virginia (a pretty nice place to live, good weather, decent schools, pretty good cultural life for its size), although I grew up in North Jersey near NYC and lived in some European cities so it can sometimes feel a bit quiet & conservative here, with a large retired population.

I have two kids in elementary school who love snow, and I'm also sad to have to uproot them from their school, friends, and nice neighborhood with good play & rec facilities.

We have heard that some places to look at would be Lexington, Arlington, Belmont, Cambridge, Newton, Milton and Brookline. We really can't spend a fortune, though, and are looking for excellent schools, quiet neighborhoods, good recreation facilities, nice people...also a friendly, active, liberal Catholic church in the area would be nice. I've also always enjoyed & appreciated having friends of diverse ethnic/religious/cultural backgrounds--makes life much more interesting & fun. (Don't get much of that in this part of VA--only at the university, although people are mostly quite friendly & nice, I will say.)

Any & all advice, tips, insider information will be most appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
Auntie Moon

Old 03-19-2007, 12:55 PM

639 posts, read 3,528,060 times
AuntieMoon, The first three towns you mentioned would be my picks. I really like Arlington a lot out of those three to tell you the truth, but it depends on what you're looking for of course!

There's an area that's right across from the Stop & Shop which is located at 905 Massachusetts Ave; up on the hill that is SO nice; all through there. It's definitely where I'd look first, as a matter of fact. It's convenient to live through there too from what a good friend of mine says about it that lives there. I've visited her and her family several times and I just love this whole area where she lives. You'd only be minutes from Medford or downtown Boston and Mass Ave. is right there for shopping. I really like the style of the homes in through there too! They have some newer, some older, but SO charming. Some victorians, and some new englanders & some nice big bricks. So when you're starting to look around? Don't forget to check that area out. Remember when you see the Stop & Shop on Mass. Ave. look up through the area across from it in that neighborhood of Arlington and believe me, when you drive all up through there? You'll see what I mean about it, it's so nice!

My cousin and her family moved to Belmont in the last few years, there sons are really young still, but they moved there because of the school system. It's supposed to be really really good. So that's another town to definitely consider. I know they have the Belmont Hill School for boys there, for grades 7 to 12:

www.belmont-hill.org

Good luck wherever you decide to live. You're doing the right thing with checking out these particular towns and I know once you and your family get settled, you'll really like your new neighborhood and town!

Old 03-19-2007, 01:34 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,487,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntieMoon View Post
We have heard that some places to look at would be Lexington, Arlington, Belmont, Cambridge, Newton, Milton and Brookline. We really can't spend a fortune, though, and are looking for excellent schools, quiet neighborhoods, good recreation facilities, nice people...also a friendly, active, liberal Catholic church in the area would be nice. I've also always enjoyed & appreciated having friends of diverse ethnic/religious/cultural backgrounds--makes life much more interesting & fun. (Don't get much of that in this part of VA--only at the university, although people are mostly quite friendly & nice, I will say.)
All those choices are good. I think you have to be more specific as to what you are looking for.

excellent schools
Lexington, Belmont, Newton, and Brookline

quiet neighborhoods
All have them. Depend of how quiet you want to be. some may be 1-2 streets away and others half a mile away. The further you are from Boston, the quieter it gets. Look at population density.

good recreation facilities
Again, What kind of recreation facilities? Swimming pool? I think of the towns you mention, Lexington probably has the most.

Diversity
I say Cambridge is the most diverse of the group mentioned. I would say Arlington and Brookline is next. However, these towns are has more of a city feel than suburbs.

Price. Your fortune could be very different than mine. The starting price may be similar. However, per sq ft price is very different when comparing Brookline to Lexington.

Old 03-19-2007, 08:11 PM

7 posts, read 25,203 times
Hello Smarty & CityGirl 52--

Thanks very much for the info--it is really very useful.

Rec facilities we'd be looking for would be parks, playgrounds, swimming pool, a community rec center with an indoor pool or a YMCA, safe places to ride bikes, soccer fields.

Any other tips, info, & suggestions you think of would also be most appreciated!

Have a good evening!
AuntieMoon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston