Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2010, 11:25 PM

433 posts, read 1,011,727 times

Advertisements

I'm from new England and instead of relocating to Boston from a smaller place I decided to check out a different region of the country and moved to Florida.

Im in the service industry and figured I'd easily find good work here in Florida. At first everything was fine but I picked a highly seasonal area and was forced to relocate when my roomates moved back to New york.

I like the weather in Florida but soon it will be too hot. The job market is horrendous and horrible and it feels like the only way I have any shot at making any money is to stay in the restaurant industry, there are no good paying entry level jobs outside of a busy restaurant.

I looked into going back to college and find that many colleges are not ranked all that well down here.

I liked the idea of all the trendy nightclubs and nightlife but often can't afford it and I can't live near it even with roomates because often the rent is just too expensive and without a stable good paying job I can't afford it. There is no public transportation except in south florida where white non-hispanics are 10 percent of the population and I hear nightmares about miami from the people most like me every single day.

The diversity is refreshing but the crime is high and english speaking is not always a priority. People also don't seem to co-exist as well down here.

I figured Boston would be much harder to meet people than Florida but I find Florida people to often lack any sort of grit or soul, it's all a show, they have no heart no true personality no values. You can find people here and there that are good people but it's hard.

So as much as I HATE HATE HATE the winters up there Im considering coming back and relocating to Boston.

What are the chances of me getting a good paying job, a room for less than 600 a month (with roomates), and a location close to some of the nightlife?

Anyone have a take on this? Just seems the economy up there is a bit more varied and stable. Florida's is one dimensional and collapsing. It's closer to home and close to other places like New York. Colleges seem to be better ranked. The people seem to be more down to earth. There is definately less crime which also makes people less obnoxious and difficult, and as bad as the traffic can be at least people drive somewhat normal and predictable most of the time.

Last edited by ^Eagle^; 04-26-2010 at 11:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 12:09 PM

12,820 posts, read 22,009,846 times
I think you could get a room for around $600/mo in a good location with room mates, but the job is hard to say. Places are starting to hire again (albeit slowly), but I have no idea what your qualifications are or how easy it would be specifically for you.

Furthermore, take "college rankings" with a grain of salt (unless it's one of those second rate degree factories you see advertised on daytime TV all the time). Any real state or private college/university will offer some programs of value. A terribly ranked college may have a decent program that suits you. Furthermore, your degree is what you make it. Unless you're going to REAL high end schools (Ivy-League or close to it), the only name on that diploma that matters is your own. There are plenty of perfectly fine colleges in Florida (some great ones too).

I have to say, I don't think I've ever heard anyone describe New England drivers as predictable and normal. I understand that in Florida you have a weird blend of elderly drivers cruising at 55 in a 75 and people going 95 on the same roads. It's chaotic, but I don't know many people who would consider Boston for better driving experiences. Furthermore, if you live in a part of Boston with nightlife and close to the activity, you're going to find that driving is miserable.

If you hate winters here so much an the only thing that would really bring you up here is hope for a job and potential colleges, why bother? You could probably do just as well for work and schools and BETTER in terms of cost of living in a place like Atlanta, Charlotte/Raleigh-Durham, Austin, etc. You'd also probably enjoy those places more than you would Boston.

Personally, I think you should look for jobs and go where you get one (try to lock it up before you move). With postings online, it's relatively to apply without being on location. Start looking close to where you are so you can make it to interviews. Most areas have some sort of college where you can take classes (most colleges now have distance learning online programs if you live too far to commute to campus). It doesn't need to be on Princeton Review's "Top 10 Liberal Arts Colleges with a student body between 2,573 and 2,714 located in the Mid Atlantic Region" list (or whatever other ridiculous way a college may quantify itself) in order to provide you with the education and diploma you're looking for.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,231,245 times
I moved from Boston (where I hate hate HATED the winters) to LA. I liked LA a lot but because I wanted to be able to afford to buy, I moved to Austin. And then I hate hate HATED the summers! Every day over 100 degrees.

So, I moved back home to Boston thinking I'd matured enough to be able to deal with the weather. In November. Big mistake. The winter just about killed me. And, now I'm moving back to LA where I'd rather live in a crappy tiny apartment and be happy.

Just my perspective. If you really hated the winters here, that's probably not going to change.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:42 PM

4,888 posts, read 13,828,412 times
Hmmm...I think the RTP (Research Triangle Park) region of North Carolina might be a happy fit. You'd have affordable housing, a more moderate climate (though part of summer would still be hot), lots of educational options, and plenty o' night life. Check out Raleigh, Chapel Hill, and Durham; those are the major cities thereabouts. And cast your net a bit wider to take in Greensboro and Winston-Salem too.
I agree with what's been said already: if you hate New England winters, they haven't changed, nor have M-sshole drivers or sky-high rents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston