Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 08:45 AM

151 posts, read 714,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I do not see how wanting some or all of the above makes one "afraid of people who are different" and conservative. Please explain.
That's a very good question, and I'd love to see a more thoughtful definition of conservatives. In another thread, I saw a question along the lines of -- is a conservative someone who is fiscally responsible or narrow-minded or just anyone who is a Republican -- I'm wondering if there isn't another more up-to-date and useable definition that isn't so judgmental. I'd like to see the same kind of definition of "liberals", reality-based and practical rather than an outdated label used to smear people as somehow un-Amercan.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,290,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittnurse70 View Post
I do not see how wanting some or all of the above makes one "afraid of people who are different" and conservative. Please explain.
yeah, this does seem like a stretch. i suppose that people do operate a bit out of somewhat primal needs and fears if you really think about it, and suburbia can be a bit "sheltered" with some people that like that in some ways, but, i'd say you're right pittnurse - some explanation could help with that one...

Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,854,411 times
That one hit me wrong. I'm no "flaming liberal" (could anyone guess?), but niether am I a right-wing conservative who is afraid of others.

I like a large yard because:

We like to grow some of our own food.

We have an above-ground pool in it which we enjoy w/o the hassle of going somewhere just to jump in the water. If one wants to really swim, there is the rec center.

We enjoy growing pretty flowers.

We like to play croquet.

When the kids were little, it was nice to have play equipment right here, so I didn't have to take them to a park. I could get stuff done in the house.

BTW, a "large" yard in Colorado isn't very big by the standards of the midwest or the east. Our croquet course is not regulation. To do that, we have to go to a park. Also, our neighborhood is diverse, at least for Louisville.

Old 09-24-2007, 09:33 AM

18,037 posts, read 27,488,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black View Post
There is a shirt for sale on druge.com. The best one yet.

"Are lives will be better off with out liberals" then there is a big happy face underneath it
Darwin freaks.
The best one yet, huh?

It would be a lot less STUPID if the shirt would learn to spell; "Are lives will be better..." could be replaced by "Our lives will be better..."

It would have much more impact that way. It would kind of be like having a shirt that says, "Eyem withe stoopid" and having the arrow pointing up.

Talk about Darwin freaks. Dog paddle on over to the shallow side of the gene pool, fanatic liberals, fanatic conservatives, etc.

To be true to the thread, I'd like to say that Boulder is an asset to the state of Colorado as well is Evergreen for different reasons. Boulder is a great place to work. Evergreen is a great place to get away from the "common folk" if you are extremely rich. Tell me that's not true?

To end the liberal vs conservative debate, let's say that each one gets to describe themselves without bashing the other. It might go like this; Conservative- I have faith in God and believe in helping others not out of necessity but because I can and I'm not a victim who leeches off the System. Hey, that's enough! Liberal- I believe in peace and nature and I believe You All should donate a lot of money. Hey, enough already!

I guess it's in their nature to fight, like cats and dogs.

Last edited by McGowdog; 09-24-2007 at 09:54 AM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-25-2007, 01:56 PM

638 posts, read 2,281,631 times
Quote:
Boulder is the most liberal town in Colorado. I would compare it too San Fran. Anways, just wanted too make sure that Evergreen wasn't full of liberals that think humans evolved as Darmin believes. We are wine drinkers and love our beers too. Love to ride bikes but enjoy our Range Rover on snowy days. We are Republicans and don't want too be overcome by faithless liberals.

Hopefully they are all terrified of art and science in general. GO BUSH!!!! I think there is a place for you in the South, but dont count on it anywhere except Colorado Springs in this state. Maybe you can take that on your ignoramous ship and move to Afganistan?

Old 09-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Boulder is the most liberal town in Colorado. I would compare it too San Fran. Anways, just wanted too make sure that Evergreen wasn't full of liberals that think humans evolved as Darmin believes. We are wine drinkers and love our beers too. Love to ride bikes but enjoy our Range Rover on snowy days. We are Republicans and don't want too be overcome by faithless liberals.
And they can read, write, and spell in Evergreen. You would hate it. Move to Alabama and do us all a favor.

Old 09-27-2007, 08:27 AM

49 posts, read 223,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
And they can read, write, and spell in Evergreen. You would hate it. Move to Alabama and do us all a favor.
LOL! Nice

Old 09-27-2007, 11:19 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,290,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningGlory View Post
Maybe CO shouldn't make so much fun...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ml#post1544332

Old 09-27-2007, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
Maybe CO shouldn't make so much fun...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/color...ml#post1544332

People in Evergreen tend to be very educated. I know CO isnt great when it comes to school funding, etc.

For population 25 years and over in Evergreen

High school or higher: 97.5%
Bachelor's degree or higher: 62.8%
Graduate or professional degree: 23.5%
Unemployed: 3.8%
Mean travel time to work: 35.4 minutes

And my Alabama suggestion was referring to the OPs general attitude of hatred for any one not like him, because in the south there are still so many ignorant people like that. How disgusting coming from a doctor of all people! Wouldnt want to be caught in his office with a peace sign on my shirt!

Old 09-27-2007, 01:36 PM

616 posts, read 3,006,241 times
Quite an interesting thread. I can't really say anything about the political climate of Evergreen, but I did graduate from CU Boulder, so I can say a bit about that.

I do feel that Boulder is very liberal. Maybe less so than when I went to college there (more of a yuppie liberalism now it would seem), but maybe not. Being more of a conservative, I was criticized for that view point. I was also in Navy ROTC and would get criticized for wanting to go into the military. I can only imagine what current students involved in Army/Navy/Marine/Air Force ROTC are going through in today's political climate.

So, where is the so-called liberal "open mindedness" and "tolerance". Shouldn't open mindedness and tolerance mean that you respect someone else's opinion and beliefs, even if they disagree with your own? I sure didn't feel that I was being accepted and respected. While my experiences were on campus, I do feel that CU is a reflection of Boulder and vice versa. I also feel that many liberals (not all of course) are very closed minded and intolerant of those with more conservative view points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area