Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM

151 posts, read 714,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
You decry those who would toss out "labels", but in our exchange and several of those you've had with others here ... you're the person who tosses out "labels". I never labeled anybody, I described their ACTUAL BEHAVIOR as personally witnessed in my experiences in years of living in Boulder, and in following years of close contact with friends and business associates. Your denial of the politics of Boulder re the city council and zoning/planning department does nothing except to further illustrate your ignorance of the realities about you.

You then further label my actual real life experiences as related here as "rants", and assert that I'm nothing but negative energy as opposed to the (tah-dah) magnificent example of humanity and goodness and kindness and openess and postive energy that you believe you are.

You even repeatedly assert that I'm living in a different universe than you, effectively labeling me a liar about what I've seen in the town.

You're simply nothing but a shining example of what liberal Boulder is all about. Your passive/aggressive non-acceptance of others when you go into denial about what is really happening about you and or your ignorance about the community you live in ... either others see what you see or we're not as good as you (even though you'll assert otherwise, but then attack us).
Wow! I obviously touched a very negative nerve here. So let me say it yet again. Different people see, experience and interpret what happens around and to them in very different ways. You see and interpret things in a very different way than I do -- that's not the same as calling you a liar. It's obvious that you truly believe that there are lots of rude people in Boulder. I don't. You interpret a zoning response to growth as a conspiracy. I don't. You see one rogue professor and condemn an entire university. I don't.

Different universes, indeed.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:20 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,290,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
"tout itself as some sort of 'liberal' bastion"? Not the Boulder I live and work in. It's got all sorts of people, some of us are even <gasp> not young-ish or beautiful, but we're still having a good time and don't feel unwelcome or in any sort of a minority. Speaking of minorities "of color", they're also in my Boulder.

I mentioned earlier that different people tend to see, experience and interpret the world around them differently. Boulder seems to exaggerate this tendency, and so is very different things to different people. I like it here and most of the people I live near and work with seem to be ordinary Americans just trying to get by. I feel welcome and comfortable here even though I'm past my prime and am certainly not wealthy.
it seems that i'm talking "the lay of the land" or the overall feel of the place or the "culture" of the place, and you're talking exceptions, specific corners of the experience, etc.. of course most anything is different things to different people, though i suspect if you were to take a poll of a variety of people, you'd see common threads in their responses and get an "overall" gist for the feel or culture of the place. you can also look up demographics to see trends (e.g., that boulder, OVERALL, is rather white, rather male, rather "well educated" meaning containing more people that have spent more time in college, and rather wealthy compared to many, maybe most, places in the US), though there will certainly be some exceptions to the trends. in my own little world, i think it's worth people seeing and thinking about what trends are fostered in a place and whether that's what they want.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:21 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,209,100 times
[QUOTE=. Different people see, experience and interpret what happens around and to them in very different ways. You see and interpret things in a very different way than I do -- that's not the same as calling you a liar.

MMama, you obviously don't understand that which you write.

If I relate an incident which has happened to me and my fellow horseback riders accurately, that's not open to your "see, experience, and INTERPRET ... " differently.

To assert in your reponse to my report that I must be riding in a different "universe" than you do and that this doesn't/can't/won't/didn't happen because it hasn't happened to you ... is to call me a liar. You're not putting a different interpretation on the events, you're disputing them.

Let me repeat that in simple language for you: You're saying that because those events haven't happened to you, that they didn't happen to me.

Again, you've attacked me personally by again asserting "negative" personal characteristics to me in this thread. I have no doubt that this attack has to be one of the strongest insults that you can place upon another person.

Since you don't know me except for the fact that I disagree with you on certain aspects of the place where you live and work, that's exceptionally presumptious on your part to label me in any fashion which you consider derrogatory. What you also fail to grasp is that I can sit here at my keyboard and carry a thread without getting angry or upset with you in the context of a discussion. Your opinion of yourself is highly overvalued if you think you're worth any of my energy. My point of following this thread is to be responsive to the OP.

You've again well demonstrated the liberal mindset and fallacy which you set out to deny. The OP's thread here was about a concern that Boulder might be liberal ... and you're proving it by the manner in which you respond.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:26 PM

11,557 posts, read 53,209,100 times
BTW, folks .... the only Horowitz I listen to is Vladimir.

Shaded dog vinyl on the Linn, with all tube'd Audio Research and a pair of KEF105's is the means to access him.

Old 09-09-2007, 04:47 PM

151 posts, read 714,664 times
[quote=sunsprit;1461557][quote=. If I relate an incident which has happened to me and my fellow horseback riders accurately, that's not open to your "see, experience, and INTERPRET ... " differently.

To assert in your reponse to my report that I must be riding in a different "universe" than you do and that this doesn't/can't/won't/didn't happen because it hasn't happened to you ... is to call me a liar. You're not putting a different interpretation on the events, you're disputing them.

Let me repeat that in simple language for you: You're saying that because those events haven't happened to you, that they didn't happen to me.

.[/QUOTE]

I never said those experiences didn't happen to you. In fact, I am absolutely convinced that you have had many negative experiences with people, and that your descriptions were, from your perspective, totally accurate.

Old 09-12-2007, 03:54 PM

41 posts, read 33,834 times
Hello all,

Mr.Black here. Me being the orginal threadster. I want too thank all of you for showing me how Boulder is the Berkley of Colorado. Market Mama is one of the reasons I do not want my family moving too Boulder. She is the typical p.c liberal you find in places like this. I have read everyones posts and find that Market Mama cannot handle a negative remark about Boulder. I do believe Boulder is a neat place too visit. Sorry Market Mamma but I can't stand by while you are telling false truths. My younger cousins went too CU, CSU and graduated in 2003, 2005. Now unless things have changed since then, they told me that CU and CSU are very liberal. So liberal that CSU has a workshop for transgender,gay,lesbian,etc. They have booths set up telling people too not too join the military. Also, CU pushes silimar booths and some students go class too class inviting them too join them for ACLU workshops and as of recently has banners throughout the libary for MoveON.org. I could go on about the things they put into kids minds. Many kids do not realize that this is called agenda pushing. I am a conservative but love my wine, riding my bike and enjoy the arts more than many. My wife and I laughed when one of the posters thought this was a liberal thing. Most liberals are anti-christian,anti-morals,feel the ACLU will solve all there problems and think the gov't should be in control of everything, (i.e healthcare and etc.).

Old 09-13-2007, 08:46 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,290,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black View Post
Hello all,

Mr.Black here. Me being the orginal threadster. I want too thank all of you for showing me how Boulder is the Berkley of Colorado. Market Mama is one of the reasons I do not want my family moving too Boulder. She is the typical p.c liberal you find in places like this. I have read everyones posts and find that Market Mama cannot handle a negative remark about Boulder. I do believe Boulder is a neat place too visit. Sorry Market Mamma but I can't stand by while you are telling false truths. My younger cousins went too CU, CSU and graduated in 2003, 2005. Now unless things have changed since then, they told me that CU and CSU are very liberal. So liberal that CSU has a workshop for transgender,gay,lesbian,etc. They have booths set up telling people too not too join the military. Also, CU pushes silimar booths and some students go class too class inviting them too join them for ACLU workshops and as of recently has banners throughout the libary for MoveON.org. I could go on about the things they put into kids minds. Many kids do not realize that this is called agenda pushing. I am a conservative but love my wine, riding my bike and enjoy the arts more than many. My wife and I laughed when one of the posters thought this was a liberal thing. Most liberals are anti-christian,anti-morals,feel the ACLU will solve all there problems and think the gov't should be in control of everything, (i.e healthcare and etc.).
i think you're giving boulder more credit than it deserves. it would like to THINK it is more "progressive" and more "liberal" than it can probably ever hope to be again. it's sort of "of and for" the elite at this point in boulder. a very far cry from berkeley in the 60s or many other "liberal" or "enlightened" places.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:13 AM

835 posts, read 2,857,546 times
anit-military? do those folks know what would happen tho Old Glory without brave men and women to back it up? bad idea NEVER diss American NEVER diss the military

Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,234 times
Default Aghast

I have been reading these posts because I'm thinking of moving to Boulder soon. The last two posts in particular have compelled me to actually contribute. I am shocked (well, ok, sadly, I'm not shocked at all- I wish I were) to discover that there are people who actually think that a university that promotes acceptance is poisoning their kids. I am not gay, but if I were, I would hope that in this day and age I would find resources like the ones people were complaining were corrupting their children on campus. As far as "putting things in kids' heads"- isn't that what college is for? Also, I have continued reading these posts because MMama's description of Boulder sounds quite welcoming, and she sounds like a pretty nice lady with some good points about attitude affecting the way interactions with other people play out.
I guess I just don't understand- what's wrong with tolerance?
Isn't that what our country was supposedly founded on?
Here's an idea: maybe if we stopped fighting for Old Glory so vehemently we'd have enough money to take care of our citizen's basic needs, such as healthcare, and become a stronger, happier nation.
I know what the next post is going to say...great, i belong in Boulder or Berkeley or some other "liberal" place but I would like to take this opportunity to denounce the use of stereotypes. I'm a thinking, breathing human who is trying to understand and make sense of the world as best I can, just like you. So please, none of that...

Last edited by Serenitybolt; 09-14-2007 at 08:42 PM..

Old 09-14-2007, 09:09 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,409,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenitybolt View Post
I have been reading these posts because I am thinking of moving to Boulder soon. The last two posts in particular have compelled me to actually contribute. I am shocked to discover that there are people who actually think that a university that promotes acceptance is poisoning their kids. I am not gay, but if I was, I would hope that in this day and age I would find resources like the ones people were complaining were corrupting their children on campus. Also, I have continued reading these posts thanks to MMama's description of Boulder. It sounds like a pretty nice place, and she sounds like a pretty nice lady with some good points about attitude affecting the way interactions with other people play out.
I guess I just don't understand- what's wrong with tolerance?
Isn't that what our country was supposedly founded on?
You have joined this forum today--you are too fast to form a judgment about why people are disturbed by MMama's Post, unless you are one in the same???

The point is not the last two post; I certainly do not agree with all these opinions and I am not gay. However I am a strong gay supporter. The point is how MMama's reacts to criticism, how she attack anybody who disagrees with her view of Boulder--name calling, sarcasm, etc.

I have said in previous post that I have agreed with many of what she had said and I said she, to me, appeared intelligent and had some practical experience--I still stand by that statement. But her attacks, and her trolling for any responses of people, who are on her hit list, and who happen to say something that she sees as wrong are inappropriate and need to be censured. But that is her well known, arrogant and public personality, whatever she calls herself and as long as she presents your views without vehement behavior then I am tolerant.

As far as my view of the tolerant university community--some people, who are so-called liberals are tolerant of any views that meet their opinions and narrow views that do not challenge their ideas. They believe they are the supreme arbiter of ideas--they are not. Many of these same people have the group-think mentality which is pervasive in Boulder and will go with the way the wind blows--today they are in Boulder, tomorrow they will be on Wall Street--their views will change--whatever is good for them---"me" 'me'' "me" is the liberal mantra.

That is my opinions on many people in Boulder, not all the people, but enough that makes Boulder not a choice for many of the people whose posts you do not like. It does not have be your choice, you can choice to live anywhere you want, nobody stopping you.

Your views have been noted; I have listened, you said them nicely, and therefore they are acceptable to be heard and pondered but I do not have to agree to it them all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area