Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 AM

151 posts, read 714,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello-world View Post
of course boulder isn't ALL any one thing. but it tends to be some ways, and tends to be becoming more some of those ways, especially relatively. overall. not patently "bad", and i for one find it a pleasant place in many ways. yet it, like many places, has it's idiosyncracies (maybe slightly more idiosyncratic in some ways) that may not be bad to keep in mind would be my point.
Those minor idiosyncracies (good word, btw) or trends, and even a small tilt to the left, are not pervasive. Anyone with any sort of extreme leanings will have to actively seek out like souls, because they are most certainly not found on every street corner. In fact, I hear and read that at most political gatherings the few passionately conservative AND liberal both bemoan the general population's lack of interest in politics -- like most of the rest of America.

In all fairness, I do have to admit that, like a fair number of other towns across America, the Boulder City Council did formally vote against Bush's Iraq war -- however, the general population was NOT in agreement with that statement and there was a lot of nattering about whether the Council should have even taken on that subject since it was not a local issue (although that part could be debated since Boulder has paid a price for that war just like most other towns in America).

In the meantime, it's a beautiful fall here in Boulder, it's finally cooled off a bit and the leaves are starting to turn.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:34 AM

41 posts, read 33,828 times
WoW, people are comparing Boulder to California hillsides. The only place in California that is similar to Boulder when it comes to weather is??? Yea, there isn't one. Palm springs maybe when you consider super dry air and hot temps. during the Summer time. Boulder air is similar to LA. Did you know the air in Boulder is worse than downtown Denver every single day of the year. This was another reason not to move there. Another is people like Marketmamma. They are very biased and generally smell bad. Not saying MarkeyMamma does, but all those natural liberals stink. Haven't meet a hippie that smelled good. Even hollywood stars such as Brad Pitt didn't shower for a week at a time. These people should move to the woods and stay out of the city. Sorry for the rant, but we were just in Boulder to do some hiking and went down to liberal street and could not believe all the hippies and bums hanging out. I was asked a total of 9times for money. Reminds me of downtown Portland. Damn losers!!!! This is why you should stay away from drugs and stay in school.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:28 AM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Black View Post
WoW, people are comparing Boulder to California hillsides. The only place in California that is similar to Boulder when it comes to weather is??? Yea, there isn't one. Palm springs maybe when you consider super dry air and hot temps. during the Summer time. Boulder air is similar to LA. Did you know the air in Boulder is worse than downtown Denver every single day of the year. This was another reason not to move there. Another is people like Marketmamma. They are very biased and generally smell bad. Not saying MarkeyMamma does, but all those natural liberals stink. Haven't meet a hippie that smelled good. Even hollywood stars such as Brad Pitt didn't shower for a week at a time. These people should move to the woods and stay out of the city. Sorry for the rant, but we were just in Boulder to do some hiking and went down to liberal street and could not believe all the hippies and bums hanging out. I was asked a total of 9times for money. Reminds me of downtown Portland. Damn losers!!!! This is why you should stay away from drugs and stay in school.

these are californians spending a good amount of time in boulder that are making these comparisons, so, seems like a reasonable comparison.

boulder: largely arid, largely mountainous, largely liberal (at least relative to much of CO and the midwest and mountain west - which are not terribly liberal places generally), largely caucasion, largely RELATIVELY affluent. folks, just the way it is. not a wholesale bad thing, but, why deny what can easily be looked up? and, why devolve into clearly, blatantly opinionated name calling and disinformation? just curious...

Old 09-20-2007, 09:30 AM

616 posts, read 3,005,610 times
Quote:
Sorry for the rant, but we were just in Boulder to do some hiking and went down to liberal street and could not believe all the hippies and bums hanging out. I was asked a total of 9times for money. Reminds me of downtown Portland. Damn losers!!!! This is why you should stay away from drugs and stay in school.
Ah, yes. The charm of Pearl Street Mall.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:09 AM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
This was another reason not to move there. Another is people like Marketmamma. They are very biased and generally smell bad.
Nice. I see you lost a rep point there. I can't figure out why. After all, you tried to redeem yourself with,
Quote:
Not saying MarkeyMamma does, but all those natural liberals stink.

Quote:
Even hollywood stars such as Brad Pitt didn't shower for a week at a time.
So what's your point? Boulder IS like California in that it has smog like LA, smelly hippies and liberals? Oh, and Boulder has a climate like Palm Springs?

Here's my take; there is much of the San Fernando Valley (Where I lived for 10 years) that looks very nice considering how much sprawl they have there that wouldn't look anything like that if people weren't there to plant palm trees and Eucalyptus trees. Boulder has a natural beauty (God planted those trees) despite your smelly liberals. I'm not even going to begin to talk about the beauty of Palm Springs (or Las Vegas for that matter!)

Lesson learned; you came too close to attacking an individual with a differing opinion. Don't feel too bad; been there, done that, learned my lesson.

Old 09-20-2007, 11:24 AM

18,024 posts, read 27,472,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthamove View Post
na man i am not nocking the rep ro dem party i am saying gore is like all other politians cashes in on some big "thing" his has been a great success and a big hit, i am not saying GW or Clinton didnt have theirs either but heck its obvious the guys a fake nothing worse than someone telling you how to live then doing the exact opposite, he might think it enviormentally good to live in a straw hut but he is as sure as H3ll isnt movin outta his mansion
Now that we're on the subject of AG, we've got to do something! Manbearpig HAS GOT TO BE STOPPED! I'm Serial!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,289,683 times
onthamove

i imagine it is a bit hard for a lot of people to take al gore seriously, being a preppy, rich, connected harvard boy from his very inception, now living in a mansion when not traveling the world living the life, hobknobbing with celebrities. it's a bit unfortunate that the message has to come from someone like him that many people have a hard time trusting. then again, many of the PhD's that look into the stuff that feeds al gore's presentations are also from backgrounds that most would consider rather priveleged and out of touch (and they might be very right). it is a good thing to question that, in my opinion. yet, at the same time, it seems that sometimes it takes that kind of privelege to not be distracted by "life" the way most of us are, and to be enabled to look into things that most of us don't find immediately relevant, but could find VERY relevant in the possibly near future. who knows, maybe there's even some "my life can feel a little fake sometimes, so what can i do to contribute?" and to these things, while i understand gore and others like him can come off as out of touch from most of our realities (like most politicians can and maybe even are), i lend some credence.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:25 PM

41 posts, read 33,828 times
There is a shirt for sale on druge.com. The best one yet.

"Are lives will be better off with out liberals" then there is a big happy face underneath it
Darwin freaks.

Old 09-22-2007, 07:15 AM

151 posts, read 714,603 times
Isn't it weird that conservatives, who claim the moral high ground, feel so free to be rude and (with so little cause) smug. So much for their so-called Family Values. Jesus must be ashamed of those who flaunt his name but do not follow his example or his teachings.

Maybe mr black is an example of de-evolution <chortle>

Old 09-22-2007, 09:32 AM

616 posts, read 3,005,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
Isn't it weird that conservatives, who claim the moral high ground, feel so free to be rude and (with so little cause) smug. So much for their so-called Family Values. Jesus must be ashamed of those who flaunt his name but do not follow his example or his teachings.
I sure hope you aren't trying to make a sweeping generalization. Some people on both the conservative and liberal side can get out of hand, that doesn't mean that we all do. Also, you can be a believer in God and Jesus and be tilted to the left. I think Jesus has plenty to be ashamed about with his believers on both sides of the political spectrum. Good thing he's a forgiving god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Mama View Post
Maybe mr black is an example of de-evolution <chortle>
Stooping to their level?

Too much flaming going on around here.

Last edited by gpraceman; 09-22-2007 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Boulder area