Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:57 AM

161 posts, read 141,566 times

Advertisements

Here's what I love about boxing, the heart. You have a guy that just took a clean shot to the chin, or has taken a beating for a few rounds, and just simply refuses to quit. It's amazing to see where a person would normally quit, just push through that and win.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 12:58 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,395,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Why do you people like boxing so much? I have absolutely no desire to see two people beat the hell of of each other! What is the attraction to this violence?
Violence is a part of our human nature and our history as a species. If you're a religious person (which I'm not), you will find that violence was condoned in the Bible's Old Testament. Through acts of violence, many societies expanded their influence beyond their immediate boundaries, and it's how they defended themselves against their enemies. But, aside from using violence as a means to expand or defend their societies, it was also used as a form of competative entertainment.

In the case of boxing, it's a controlled form of violence in which two competative athletes match their strengths, skills and wits, at close range.

I use to watch boxing matches regularly. But, several years ago, I lost interest in the sport. This is mostly as a result of sub-standard competition, and the endless number of "alphabet soup championship titles" which are now available. Too many available titles cheapens the merrits of being called a "champion."

However, I will admit that last night I did see a very competative match between middleweight Derrick Findley and the very promising Fernando Guerrero.

I have not seen a finer boxing stylist with the skillset of Fernando Guerrero since Wilfredo Benitez was on top of his game. Guerrero is one boxer to keep a close eye on. He's fast, very smart, and has a very diverse arsenal. He has quick lateral movements which allow him to dodge solid punches. This is one guy who definitely adheres to the theory which believes that boxing is about hitting, and making your opponent miss. He's really good at that, but will also go toe-to-toe on his terms; when the opportunity is there. Very entertaining boxer.

Last edited by chacho_keva; 02-19-2011 at 01:06 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 12:59 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,099,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Violence is a part of our human nature and our history as a species. If you're a religious person (which I'm not), you will find that violence was condoned in the Bible's Old Testament. Through acts of violence, many societies expanded their influence beyond their immediate boundaries, and it's how they defended themselves against their enemies. But, aside from using violence as a means to expand or defend their societies, it was also used as a form of competative entertainment.

In the case of boxing, it's a controlled form of violence in which two competative athletes match their strengths, skills and wits, at close range.

I use to watch boxing matches regularly. But, several years ago, I lost interest in the sport. This is mostly as a result of sub-standard competition, and the endless number of "alphabet soup championship titles" which are now available. Too many available titles cheapens the merrits of being called a "champion."

However, I will admit that last night I did see a very competative match between middleweight Derrick Findley and the very promising Fernando Guerrero.

I have not seen a finer boxing stylist with the skillset of Fernando Guerrero since Wilfredo Benitez was on top of his game. Guerrero is one boxer to keep a close eye on. He's fast, very smart, and has a very diverse arsenal. He has quick lateral movements which allow him to dodge solid punches. This is one guy who definitely adheres to the theory which believes that boxing is about hitting, and making your opponent miss. He's really good at that, but will also go toe-to-toe on his terms; when the opportunity is there. Very entertaining boxer.
Chacho! I feel ya brotha......my sentiments exactly! But I am going to start picking up on boxing again bcuz I do love the sport. Viva Wilfred Benitez,some of the best boxing skills ever seen in the ring
To the op........my suggestion would be go to a REAL boxing gym (if you can find one) and try it for yourself. They will put you in the ring with a moderately good boxer. Go in there and think all you have to do is swing your fists until you hit something. After you have been hit more times than you have ever been hit in your life, you will understand that boxing is not streetfighting. The guy will counter all your telegraphed and wide punches, he will feint you into dropping your hands, and he will beat on you unprotected face and chin until he either knocks you out or leaves you with snot hanging off your nose like a 5 year old child.
That's all I have to say

Old 03-07-2011, 06:38 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,585,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erewhon View Post
All that "highly-trained athletes, exciting sport" stuff notwithstanding, I still fail to understand the attraction of a "sport" where the goal is not to win points but is to inflict injury on another human being for the entertainment of others. The entire purpose of boxing is to render your opponent unconscious. You know, inflict a subdural hematoma. It, to me, is akin to hunting. Pointless, violent, barbaric.
I can understand an respect your point. Others have explained very well the skill etc. involved, but it is also an incredible form of man-on-man (excuse me for the generalization, to the female boxers) competition that requires skill, talent, training, physical strength and endurance, and will. People get excited, and reasonably so, when one guy wins a grueling 5-set tennis match. That pales in comparison to a twelve round batle of wills like boxing. Having said all of that, I can completely understand the objections because it is violent at its core.

Old 01-01-2012, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,209 times
Its a test of the human spirit. Currently, thats how our society wants to see the demonstration of heart, and the will to survive and endure. Most people have to fight and endure in their own way...thas probably part of the attraction to the sport. And thas the way life is for many if not all people right now. (They have to fight and endure through something) The sport is very similar in a spiritual sense to what most people would want to try and emulate or attain. The ability to endure, conquer fear and skillfully succeed at whatever opposition might be in front of them. And at the end of the day be able to embrace opposition. How often do you see two fighters hug, after trying to physically beat each other down for 12 rounds? Who wouldnt want to have that type of spirit?

So basically, I think we're naturally attracted to people who can demonstrate a lot of heart, spirit (or that fire within), and endurance. Boxing is the most popular event to demonstrate that (and probably the best). I dont think boxers need to even have skill in the sport for people to enjoy (or be attracted to a match), as long as they have those attributes I mentioned. You cant say with that with too many other sports.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:13 AM

2,860 posts, read 3,387,163 times
As a man myself the warrior culture is appealing.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:16 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
i dont like it. i've fought some and it's painful.
ice pack please.

Old 01-12-2012, 03:27 PM

3,010 posts, read 6,307,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
Why do you people like boxing so much? I have absolutely no desire to see two people beat the hell of of each other! What is the attraction to this violence?
Please..Boxing is SO much more than two people "beating the hell out of each other" . it's two well trained and skilled fighters simply trying to best each other. A human chess match. The knockout, well..that's part of the game.

It's a violent sport no doubt. We as humans have to be violent in order to survive and that's simply transferred to the ring in a controlled manner.

Why do I love it? For one, the historical signifigance and impact that the sport has on our country.

When I read about fighters like Dempsey, Johnson, Gans, Marciano, etc, it makes me work even harder in the gym.

I have fond memories sitting around with my uncles and watching boxing and hearing them talk about meeting Ali, Frazier, etc.

A boxing gym..no place like it when you throw in the sounds of the bags, jump ropes, timers, etc. And the smell..nothing like it.

the buildup to a big match, the trash talking..I love it.

I've wrestled, played football, done BJJ and LAX. However, none have given me the satisfaction that boxing has.

I love Marvin Hagler's quote:

"If they cut my bald head open,
they will find one big boxing glove
That's all I am. I live it."

Old 01-17-2012, 01:57 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
I will tell you why with one name Mohammed Ali!! Today is his 70th birthday. I grew up
watching him, he was a great fighter, and a good man. There are programmes on TV here
every night this week celebrating him. I watched a programme last night of ordinary English
people showing their photos and home movies taken with him over the last 40 years. Photos
taken in the homes of very ordinary English people he made friends with over the years. No
publicity, he would just turn up while visiting here. Only 2 years ago, when he was last here,
he rode the back of a truck with his friend boxer Henry Cooper, who has sadly since died.
They drove for miles waving to fans who turned out to see them. Happy birthday
Muhammed.

Old 02-25-2014, 07:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,339 times
its not violence, i want to box and i havent been in one fight in my life i just like the aspect of it , it takes skills , only a person who knows nothing about it would say it just to guys fighting, how is it ?, how is floyd 45-0 you cant be 45-0 in a sport that is street brawling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Boxing