Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,523 times

Advertisements

If you don't like snow and want the most internationally appealing town the only choice is Lewiston. Lewiston averages approximately 50 inches of snow per year compared to 90+ anywhere in Erie County. It is a quick half hour from downtown Buffalo and slightly over an hour from Downtown Toronto (bridge crossing time excluded) It has a very cute walkable upscale downtown area as well as the cultural aspects of Artpark - the summer home of the Buffalo Philharmonic as well as the site of free weekly rock concerts by national acts.

If I knew then what I know now about WNY when I moved here a few years ago I would have chosen Lewiston. I live in Eastern Niagara County and the kids love their school so here we will stay. Eastern Niagara would also be a good choice for you if you like a slower pace, less snow and rain than Erie County offset by a longer commute to the Buffalo metro - 15-20 minutes to Amherst 35-40 minutes toi downtown. Lewiston would have been my number one choice Eastern Niagara would have been my second.

You will find that Niagara County in general has not suffered from the population decline that has so ravaged parts of Erie County. The Niagara County's total population is down about 17,000 from 1970 while Erie County (4 times larger ) has lost 12 times as many people, well over 205,000. Over the past three years the official US Census population estimates have shown Niagara to be adding population while Erie is still losing. Such a large decline puts a larger strain on Erie County (tax and resource wise) to offer their residents basic services such as road repair and Libraries. Of course it all depends upon your personal taste but I like the mix of the older City areas of Lockport with the very new more upscale Town surrounding the City. The staedy growth also provides a much younger housing stock than in the areas of population decline.

In fact the Towns in the Eastern half of Niagara County, including the City of Lockport have grown steadily throught out this era with the following population stats:

1950 - 51,591

1960 - 63,769

1970 - 68,935

1980 - 73,300

1990 - 76,253

2000 - 80,266

Source US Census Bureau combined for the following communities: Lockport, Town, Lockport, City, Somerset, Cambria, Pendleton, Royalton, Hartland, Middleport, Barker, and Newfane.

Last edited by donbuy; 06-22-2011 at 06:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 04:45 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
Donbuy. I agree Niagara County (minus the toxic dump of NF) has a better all around way of life. I agree Lewiston is a hidden gem I never knew much about when I first moved here. They have strict housing codes and standards(keeps out scumbags) and has a classy downtown area. Plus the escarpment with views of Toronto on a nice day.

Getting to Downtown Toronto in just over an hour is a bit of a stretch. Yes, it's good timing on the QEW till just past the Burlington Bridge. However, it is usually pretty slow for the final 30 miles on the QEW and Gardiner. 90 minutes on weekends and way longer during the week through personal experience.

I am not that impressed with Lockport with all due respect. Just a Bland ANYTOWN USA type environment on Transit. Applebee's is the one chain restaurant along with Walmart and Tops. Plus overtaxed homes in Lockport mixed with trailer parks and welfare housing on Dysinger.

I go up to Olcott quite a bit so I've seen what Lockport is about. Why the heck did that Mexican Restaurant La Galera go under ? I ate there once and thought it was very similar to that El Palenque in Amherst. Meaning good for WNY Mexican food standards. The East end of Lockport is the nicest area but certainly nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 06-22-2011, 05:16 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,734 times
I prefer the Northtowns areas over Southtowns. All of the towns you mentioned are fine - for what you are looking for, I really think that Williamsville would be a good fit for you - especially if you are new to the area. It will be the most convenient Northtown area to go to many other towns for your daily living (in addition to getting to work). Clarence and Lewiston are really nice, but farther out. East Amherst would be my second choice ...

Old 06-22-2011, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post

I go up to Olcott quite a bit so I've seen what Lockport is about.
No offense but anyone that would think Olcott is an entertainment destination is from a different world than I. From what I have seen Olcott is the most seedy area of the county, outside of the Falls. It seems to be inhabited by a bunch of aging bikers with sparse hair pulled into what would be greasy ponytails, if there was enough haor left to get greasy. They are accompanied by sagging middle aged alcoholic women whose breast tatoos are now safely hidden in their armpits when they recline.
The fact that the rest of eastern Niagara County camnot match Olcott for class is a plus in my book

Old 06-22-2011, 09:39 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,716,722 times
Olcott Beach specifically. Visit the lake and do the usual fruit picking along Ontario.You must be referring to The Burt Inn on Rte 78. That's the big biker hangout up that way. Newfane I've noticed has some low income housing on the main drag too. Plus, those rural areas are getting a little darker too in the rundown homes in Newfane that are being rented out.

The Davison area is decent in Lockport. A lot of apartments with cheaper rent but nothing like the Transit and Dysinger areas.Never seen anything goofy when going by there and a couple of nice golf courses (one public and one private). I'd say the East side of Lockport is superior to most spots in WNY. Not great amenities but safer and good scenery with the escarpment.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:34 PM

21 posts, read 61,880 times
What more can you tell me about Williamsville? We're planning a house hunting trip up in a few weeks. Looks like husband is heading to Buffalo, still a little open ended.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlags View Post
What more can you tell me about Williamsville? We're planning a house hunting trip up in a few weeks. Looks like husband is heading to Buffalo, still a little open ended.
Very vibrant, very congested. In the dead center of WNY's population.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:37 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlags View Post
I lived in the Village of Williamsville for approx 20 yrs.
I attended Williamsville schools grade k-12. It's consistently one of the top school districts in WNY.
It is a wonderful place to live.
It is a wonderful place to raise a family.
It is the safest community I've ever lived in.
It is the friendliest community I've ever lived in.
Many of the houses are very old and historic (in the villiage), some were even part of the Underground Railroad!
It's convenient to 290 and 33 (5 minutes to either)

If you have specific questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:25 AM

196 posts, read 443,082 times
Recent transplant myself. We looked in clarence, but thought it was a bit more than we can afford. Lemme change that, we could afford but why.

Williamsville is nice, but a little to close and congested for me. We decided on east amherst, right by the Transit Valley Golf Club. Nice area, great williamsville schools and the commute isnt bad (though transit road can get on my nerves). I used to take the bus (66 express) right downtown to the HSBC center from the Eastern Hills mall. Got some parking arranged, so now drive.

I like to fish out of Olcott and mix it up at the local establishment. Decent beer and food, and great people watching spot.

If you need more info, drop a line.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:54 PM

185 posts, read 418,514 times
some would say, none of the above
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area