Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:13 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,719,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown216 View Post
I'm not native to the area, but I am well-versed with urban demographics and urban policy as that is my field of work. Looking at historical data (I would link, but it is through a subscription to Telestrian GIS system in combination with BLS statistics my workplace uses) the income levels in 14216 have held in line with steady with similar zip codes in the Buffalo MSA. The portion of Kenmore west of Delaware and especially Elmwood looks like it never was extremely wealthy - always working class - hence the bungalows and doubles. I'm not sure where you got your data from, especially considering you claim not to have stepped foot in the village in over 10 years. Do you have a source?

With regards to the section 8 - I talked to the neighbors immediately in the area east of Delaware, near the Ken-Dev studio tower. No real complaints from the neighbors outside the usual. It seems to be well-manage. The bad section 8 tenants come with poorly managed property - which is where a lot of people get their perception from since it's the troublemakers who get the attention called to them. There is section 8 all over Amherst, and I think people would be surprised if they could even tell it was there - it all comes down to the what tenants you accept.

In terms of crime, there has been no noticeable deviation from regional averages - holding steady with minor fluctuations from year to year. Once again, your data sounds empirical rather than something based in fact.

Lastly, why would you go under ANY amount of influence and drive? Even if you think you were fine, that's not your call to make. Alcohol affects everyone differently, and why put the rest of the world at risk just because you think "One beer, I'll be fine"?
Am I speaking with Sheriff Joe out in Maricopa County or something ? One beer in NY State WILL NOT legally get one above the .04 BAC for a DWAI. It takes an hour to get out one 12 ounce beer, one shot or one glass of wine. If you nurse one beer for an hour, you are fine to drive.

However, I am aware that good ole' Sheriff Joe near Phoenix encourages any amount of influence to be charged with DUI and likely a few days in Tent City. Out there, one can be arrested for taking a prescription that causes drowsiness and be charged with DUI. I'll just have to drink at home and have soda or water when I'm out.It's a law like that that's very far right and why I've explained I'm not as Conservative as many out there.

Back to Kenmore. 20 years ago while a UB student, I delivered pizza on weekends over in the SW portion of Kenmore. White trash then. Sure its worse now. Can't remember the side street name but there was a biker bar right on Military blasting loud music all hours of the night. Residents grumbled then and likely still do. You got that dive recently where the stabbing took place. You know, that small trashy looking brick building. You are seperated from scumbag Riverside by a railroad and connected by Ontario Street. I'm told by residents more and more of the Westsiders and getting in there and renting.

14216 is a Buffalo zipcode. I believe 14217 is what you need to look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 08:20 AM

The only reason 14217 zip appears to have a respectable demographics is because of the Upper Middle to Upper Class families in the Delaware Road and Colvin areas north of the Kenmore West HS which is on I believe Crosby. If 14217 was strictly between Delaware Ave and Military, I promise you the demographics would be way different. As stated, they are largely rented two storied homes built likely in the early 1900's. Old,decaying and trashy area.

Old 09-10-2011, 10:18 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,546,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
Back to Kenmore. 20 years ago while a UB student, I delivered pizza on weekends over in the SW portion of Kenmore. White trash then. Sure its worse now.

So let me get this straight, you're judging Kenmore of today based on what you saw as a pizza delivery boy 20 years ago? Never mind that it's regularly voted as one of the most walkable areas in urban American, Magnum0417/Canerican/whatever name your using this week said it was white trash 20 years ago when he delivered pizza there a few times so that trumps all the experts & those that live in the village. Please go to Arizona/New Mexico or whatever southwestern meth haven you choose already, your act is getting old.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
So let me get this straight, you're judging Kenmore of today based on what you saw as a pizza delivery boy 20 years ago? Never mind that it's regularly voted as one of the most walkable areas in urban American, Magnum0417/Canerican/whatever name your using this week said it was white trash 20 years ago when he delivered pizza there a few times so that trumps all the experts & those that live in the village. Please go to Arizona/New Mexico or whatever southwestern meth haven you choose already, your act is getting old.

Tell me a first ring suburb (within 2 miles of Buffalo city limits) that is better off and less crime ridden than 20 years ago. Kenmore. Nope. Tonawanda.Nope.SW Amherst. Hell No ! Eggertsville. Nope. Cleveland Hill. Nope. Sloan. Nope. Blasdell.Nope.

You weren't here in the 90's so don't act like you know what it was like back then.

Tons of Meth near Colorado Springs as well JBlake. What's your point ? Never taken Meth or any hard stuff so it's of no concern. Tried pot a few times as a kid and that was it. Pot is a loser drug. Makes your mouth dry and makes you hungry for munchies. I'll take a 6 pack instead.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Tons of Meth near Colorado Springs as well JBlake. What's your point ?
I'm very aware of that, use to live right down the street from a "cook house", its a very distinct smell & once you know it you'll never forget it. You want to see white trash just wait until you get into those meth infested cities of the southwest ........ that was the point. I have a distant relative that lives in Camp Verde, AZ ..... nothing but white, brown & red trash in that town, either you're an alcoholic or a meth head.

I don't know or care what Kenmore's crime rates were 20 years ago, all that really matters is that its a very safe village today.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I'm very aware of that, use to live right down the street from a "cook house", its a very distinct smell & once you know it you'll never forget it. You want to see white trash just wait until you get into those meth infested cities of the southwest ........ that was the point. I have a distant relative that lives in Camp Verde, AZ ..... nothing but white, brown & red trash in that town, either you're an alcoholic or a meth head.

I don't know or care what Kenmore's crime rates were 20 years ago, all that really matters is that its a very safe village today.
I am aware of the I 17 corridor heading up towards Flagstaff JBlake. Unfortunately, Camp Verde and Cottonwood are Trailer Parks galore amongst beautiful scenery. Certainly not making AZ out to be perfect. Personally, I prefer dysfunctional Red and Brown Trash to Eastside trash.LOL. Lesser of 2 evils I suppose. Red and Brown Trash tend to atleast work for a living even if it's off the books. Eastside Trash here collects from the state and drug deals on the side.

Tell me if I am wrong JBlake. Meth dealers tend to keep their business on the lowdown. Basically, avoid abandoned trailers in rural areas.LOL. Pretty ballsy to run a meth lab where there are no basements in urban areas out west. I pictured meth being more on the outskirts of CO Spgs than in what I assume was a decent area you lived in. You don't find yourself dealing with those people unless you go looking it. However, the coke and whatever new stuff that sells around Buffalo and other NE cities results far more in innocent people being caught in the crossfires IMO.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
You don't find yourself dealing with those people unless you go looking it. However, the coke and whatever new stuff that sells around Buffalo and other NE cities results far more in innocent people being caught in the crossfires IMO.
I think you're gonna be in for a big surprise. In Texas & the SW states you have the added problems of La Eme. Plenty of innocent people are robbed, raped, killed &/or kidnapped in Phoenix, Tucson, ABQ & El Paso by La Eme & their American allies. BTW Coke is drug mainly used by the rich/elite, there is nowhere near the random violence surrounding its sale/use as there is crack or meth. The east side of Buffalo doesn't scare me (but I also don't subscribe to racists stereotypes). No one is getting randomly kidnapped by gangs for ransom money in East Buffalo (but they are in Phoenix).

Old 09-10-2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I think you're gonna be in for a big surprise. In Texas & the SW states you have the added problems of La Eme. Plenty of innocent people are robbed, raped, killed &/or kidnapped in Phoenix, Tucson, ABQ & El Paso by La Eme & their American allies. BTW Coke is drug mainly used by the rich/elite, there is nowhere near the random violence surrounding its sale/use as there is crack or meth. The east side of Buffalo doesn't scare me (but I also don't subscribe to racists stereotypes). No one is getting randomly kidnapped by gangs for ransom money in East Buffalo (but they are in Phoenix).
Certainly not naive to the potential crime out west JBlake. I certainly do not underestimate the potential for home invasions that the news reports out that way by the Mexican Mafia. I have many people I know that live in nice areas like Scottsdale and not so nice areas of West Mesa and Tempe. Some Anglo and some Chicano. None of them have been shot at or home invaded in the 10 to 20 years they have lived there.

I still feel you are marked far more if you put yourself in bad situations. Don't go to shady places, dive bars or threaten others at all. I'll be packing heat but hope to never use it.

As far as your Eastside conclusions. I feel innocent UB females who have been robbed on South Campus beg to differ. Buffalo gangs have been known to target anyone when it comes to "Initiation." You hear about random shootings at people they don't know on WIVB TV fairly often. In the past, gangs tended to stay away from targeting the elderly here. That has changed. You hear about 70 year old men shot on their porch by young gangbangers. That happened near Canisius not too long ago.

I went to the worst neighborhoods on the Eastside as a college kid delivering pizza. Langfield, Grider, Fillmore. You name it. There were times I smelled a "set up." Unfortunately, cells weren't around so I went to the nearest payphone. Never got rolled and did it for 2 years on weekends as a student.

It's mainly common sense. Keep a low profile outside of your job. The enemy is less likely to target the unknown.

Old 09-10-2011, 04:14 PM

Said it before and said it again. Mark Anacone who ran Anacone's on Bailey and Stockbridge not far from UB South Campus. Place got robbed at 4AM be Eastside gangbangers. I knew two victims personally and were forced at gunpoint to hand them their wallets. Place closed down 6 months later due to the increasingly volatile environment of the Eastside. A crying shame. Best Beef on Weck in Buffalo hands down !

You may not hear about home invasions here. However, they have no qualms about robbing public places after dark.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
I am aware of the I 17 corridor heading up towards Flagstaff JBlake. Unfortunately, Camp Verde and Cottonwood are Trailer Parks galore amongst beautiful scenery. Certainly not making AZ out to be perfect. Personally, I prefer dysfunctional Red and Brown Trash to Eastside trash.LOL. Lesser of 2 evils I suppose. Red and Brown Trash tend to atleast work for a living even if it's off the books. Eastside Trash here collects from the state and drug deals on the side.

Tell me if I am wrong JBlake. Meth dealers tend to keep their business on the lowdown. Basically, avoid abandoned trailers in rural areas.LOL. Pretty ballsy to run a meth lab where there are no basements in urban areas out west. I pictured meth being more on the outskirts of CO Spgs than in what I assume was a decent area you lived in. You don't find yourself dealing with those people unless you go looking it. However, the coke and whatever new stuff that sells around Buffalo and other NE cities results far more in innocent people being caught in the crossfires IMO.
That last part is not true: State Rankings--Statistical Abstract of the United States--Violent Crime Rate

Sentencing Law and Policy: Interesting Brookings report on US crime rates in various regions

Regional Estimates - Crime in the United States 2009
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area