Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 03:46 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
80-100k? hahaha..welcome to crack central...
I purchased my house in '05 for 100K. There is nobody smoking crack in this area. You seem to want to categorize and slam the city as being an unhospitable place to live. Surely the city its share of problems. I have lived in Buffalo since 2001 and I love it. Anecdotally, I've been walking to work for years now and have never had a problem. Nobody has sneezed on me. Is that to say there aren't problems? No, I am not naive. However, if I were to send my kid to Hamburg high school, or some other suburban schools, I would certainly want to inform them of the dangers of heroin, or other prescription drugs. The hazing incidents all seem to happen with greater frequency in suburban schools. With information being as freely available as it presently is, provided you are educated, it really is less important than ever where you live.

I stated before, this is my opinion, and everyone is clearly entitled to their own. I suggest you back up your statement with a fact rather than broad generalizations that lack support. I'm sure you must have a map of where "crack central" is and the corresponding house prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 05:29 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
80-100k? hahaha..welcome to crack central...
A friend of mine just bought a duplex in Hamburg (Frontier SD) for $75K ..... while they are obviously not going to be glamorous there are plenty of homes available for $100K (or slightly under) that aren't in bad neighborhoods (in the city & the suburbs).

Old 11-02-2011, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genoobie View Post
I purchased my house in '05 for 100K. There is nobody smoking crack in this area. You seem to want to categorize and slam the city as being an unhospitable place to live. Surely the city its share of problems. I have lived in Buffalo since 2001 and I love it. Anecdotally, I've been walking to work for years now and have never had a problem. Nobody has sneezed on me. Is that to say there aren't problems? No, I am not naive. However, if I were to send my kid to Hamburg high school, or some other suburban schools, I would certainly want to inform them of the dangers of heroin, or other prescription drugs. The hazing incidents all seem to happen with greater frequency in suburban schools. With information being as freely available as it presently is, provided you are educated, it really is less important than ever where you live.

I stated before, this is my opinion, and everyone is clearly entitled to their own. I suggest you back up your statement with a fact rather than broad generalizations that lack support. I'm sure you must have a map of where "crack central" is and the corresponding house prices.
You would do well to ignore 12, typical East Amherst/Williamsville soccer mom who thinks everything within the city is a warzone & all the other suburbs are ghettos.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:53 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:

Hi there. I grew up on the westside of Buffalo. I know the city probably better than most. And I can tell ya, houses selling for 100k today? Not my "cup of tea"...but to each his own...glad it works for ya. I love Buffalo and it needs all the love it can get. It is painful for me to see what were once beautiful areas turned into war zones. I can't even go visit the old neighborhoods anymore. Sad really.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:06 AM

Turned into war zones??? really

Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblake78728 View Post
Turned into war zones??? really
LOL I had to laugh when I read that war zone comment too.

Interesting article in last Sunday's Buffalo News about how dramatically home prices are increasing in parts of the West Side due to expats and suburbanites moving in and restoring those magnificant older homes into the jewels they once were.
Link to Buffalo News article:

West Side stories - Business - The Buffalo News (http://www.buffalonews.com/business/article621506.ece - broken link)

Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 AM

The funny thing is I own two houses in Buffalo and both have appreciated significantly. One by about 50% (10 years of investment) the other by about 25% (5 years of investment). If I were to sell I'd get a pretty decent return on my investment. But I like living here. The biggest drawback is schools, but I can afford to send my kids to private schools because I'm not paying a ton for mortgage interest and taxes. This appears to be a little known economic strategy. And to boot, I get to walk places and don't depend on my car for anything. In fact, we are probably going down to one car this year which further decreases cost of living and increases savings. I feel bad for the "house poor" crowd who sink all their money into housing.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:54 AM

744 posts, read 1,768,677 times
Quote:
I feel bad for the "house poor" crowd who sink all their money into housing.
So true there is really no more frustrating way to go through life than to be house rich and cash poor. People that take out the maximum mortgage amount a bank will lend them are setting themselves up for a life of stress and frustration over all the things they will not be able to do because every cent is going to their house.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:01 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,339 times
Quote:
The funny thing is I own two houses in Buffalo and both have appreciated significantly. One by about 50% (10 years of investment) the other by about 25% (5 years of investment). If I were to sell I'd get a pretty decent return on my investment. But I like living here. The biggest drawback is schools, but I can afford to send my kids to private schools because I'm not paying a ton for mortgage interest and taxes. This appears to be a little known economic strategy. And to boot, I get to walk places and don't depend on my car for anything. In fact, we are probably going down to one car this year which further decreases cost of living and increases savings. I feel bad for the "house poor" crowd who sink all their money into housing.
some might feel sorry for you for getting 50% roe after ten years...I bought in getzville and sold for a 35% profit after two years... sold at the market peak. Bought the house with a zero down mortgage so I got to keep my cash - taxes amortized...it can be done even in metro Buffalo in the "demand areas" with great schools..and it does not necessarily translate to house poor...and who pays PMI anymore anyway?

Old 11-30-2011, 03:41 AM

You were lucky, what can I say. I bet averages are far lower than what you experienced. And I believe it is 50% ROI I think. Considering the time frames involved I would challenge you to find many during the same period who got 5%/yr. Considering housing meltdown, etc. When I said mortgage interest I was referring to the interest on the bank loan. Not mortgage insurance (PMI). In fact, signing up for PMI and then paying down your principal (in about 5yrs) will save you money (versus putting 20% down).

Anyhow, the house poor crowds have two incomes and run themselves ragged just so that they think their kids are getting a better education. It's a nice marketing tactic, but nothing more than a push by greedy tax hungry towns and developers to move product. 20 years ago realtors were probably saying "buy amherst, good schools". Now they are probably saying "buy clarence good schools", 20 years from now they'll be saying, buy "newstead good schools" It's a big friggin' wash. Teach your kids to read and think and they won't need school to learn, they'll be able to teach themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area