Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 06:43 AM

986 posts, read 2,334,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
It is definitely the christian thing to do. With no disrespect to Christians, most of the cities that appear to assist and tolerate the homeless are cities where relatively few people go to church.

However, there are churches in each of those cities that play a major role in helping them.

Burlington being one of them.
The churches that tend to play a major role in helping the homeless also tend to be the more liberal accepting/welcoming churches as opposed to the conservative churches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 AM

331 posts, read 990,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I don't know, if I were homeless with nothing to fall back on...I'd be in the woods in the NEK with my best basic camping gear and a couple of my best guns (.22 long barrel revolver of mine, shotgun and a good big game rifle) and their ammo...I wouldn't head for a crowded, crime ridden city to beg for food...
LMAO @ crime-ridden.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunawayJim View Post
The churches that tend to play a major role in helping the homeless also tend to be the more liberal accepting/welcoming churches as opposed to the conservative churches.
Doubtful. It's been said the Catholic Church feeds more poor than any other single organization or religious group.

The thing is the more orthodox Christian churches tend to focus on voluntary actions by individuals rather than government doing it through taxation.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
LMAO @ crime-ridden.
By VT standards it is.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:05 AM

325 posts, read 706,167 times
There is far more crime in Burlington these days then in Portland(where I now am)for a city it's size.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 PM

331 posts, read 990,177 times
Can you give examples of the crime? I just moved from there about 2 months ago, and would have to say the old north end of Burlington (I lived on Clark & Grant, so really not 'deep' into the north end, only a block from Pearl) and Williston have been the safest places I've ever lived. I did have my bike stolen off of my front porch, but that was because I forgot to lock it up.

In my 5 years there, I saw someone yell out of their car at another person that they wanted to fight, and nothing came of it. A girl was abducted when she was walking home alone drunk late at night, and she was found later in a gorge, but that was one of the more shocking / frightening events to happen in those 5 years.

Are these violent crimes you're talking about? Or is it more of some college kid getting busted for starting a flash mob pillow fight on Church St? (The pillow fight was wicked fun, by the way...)

Old 08-18-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyrotech View Post
Can you give examples of the crime? I just moved from there about 2 months ago, and would have to say the old north end of Burlington (I lived on Clark & Grant, so really not 'deep' into the north end, only a block from Pearl) and Williston have been the safest places I've ever lived. I did have my bike stolen off of my front porch, but that was because I forgot to lock it up.

In my 5 years there, I saw someone yell out of their car at another person that they wanted to fight, and nothing came of it. A girl was abducted when she was walking home alone drunk late at night, and she was found later in a gorge, but that was one of the more shocking / frightening events to happen in those 5 years.

Are these violent crimes you're talking about? Or is it more of some college kid getting busted for starting a flash mob pillow fight on Church St? (The pillow fight was wicked fun, by the way...)
Well, here's the difference btwn. Burlington and the "real" Vermont I'm from: where I grew up and lived for quite a bit of my life, if you didn't lock something up, you still had it the next day. There wasn't hardly any reason to even worry about locking the doors where I'm from...

The stats on Burlington crime speak for themselves. It's getting worse too from what I understand.

Old 08-18-2010, 07:39 PM

166 posts, read 441,640 times
Most of Burlington's homeless live in a huge outdoor camp in South Burlington in the median between I-189 and route 7. They have been camping there for years and I have heard there is quite a large population of them living there right through the winter. It was on the news today that a homeless women died there today.

On a related note the Somalia refugees targeted Burlington for its generous welfare just like the homeless do. They seem much better off though then the homeless on the streets. Take a ride by the Burlington Housing Authority's units on Riverside Dr and you would think your in Somalia. Google the great Somalia Welfare Hunt for more info.

Old 08-19-2010, 06:03 AM

143 posts, read 374,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well, here's the difference btwn. Burlington and the "real" Vermont I'm from: where I grew up and lived for quite a bit of my life, if you didn't lock something up, you still had it the next day. There wasn't hardly any reason to even worry about locking the doors where I'm from...

The stats on Burlington crime speak for themselves. It's getting worse too from what I understand.
I lived several hours from Burlington, in "real" Vermont ... I also had a bike stolen, a couple weeks after it was vandalized (and it was locked). A friend of mine was also attacked once by high school students.

People suck everywhere. Some places just have fewer sucky people. Again, a numbers game: where there is more people, there will be more sucky people. But what are the differences in percentages? That is what I'm always more curious to know.

Old 08-19-2010, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfriedkasei View Post
I lived several hours from Burlington, in "real" Vermont ... I also had a bike stolen, a couple weeks after it was vandalized (and it was locked). A friend of mine was also attacked once by high school students.

People suck everywhere. Some places just have fewer sucky people. Again, a numbers game: where there is more people, there will be more sucky people. But what are the differences in percentages? That is what I'm always more curious to know.
How far away is "several hours" and in what direction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT