Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 01:03 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,081,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looking4home View Post
Some have serious, long-term addictions, many are mentally ill. "Homeless" is an erroneous appellation, coined in '80's when the left was trying to demonize Reagan's economic policies as cold and heartless that left people out in the streets. This was eventually exposed when Clinton came into office, and the homeless were still around in greater numbers than ever, only suddenly the media stopped talking about it. The reality is that the status and fate of the mentally ill changed in the 60's and 70's, when the federal govt. and then individual states closed down the public mental hospitals, and the courts tightened the criteria for families and caregivers to compel the mentally ill to get help, medication,etc. The ACLU sued the state of California on behalf of the mentally and won. The court ruled that they had a right not to receive treatment, so that started the tidal wave of homeless on the streets. Another example on how liberal views and actions have changed society for the worse.
People having the right to refuse medical/psychiatric treatment pending that they do not pose a serious threat to self/others is an American right, and has zero to do with politics. There are many people with co-occurring disorders who are homeless, but there are also many people who are fleeing abusive relationships, runaways, or simply do not have the ability to afford a home. This affects everyone, human nature does not depend on if you are liberal or conservative, nor should compassion and empathy, so don't make it into a political issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 01:18 PM

3 posts, read 7,003 times
It is funny that you mention being homeless in a warmer cliamate. I lived in Burlington for a year, and my job had me in contact and working with many of the people you probably saw on church st. I can tell you for a fact, that there is a certain migration that happens among groups of people who are not really 'homeless' but more panhandlers - as in they do have a place to stay at night. Some people will actually go to the hottest parts of florida in the summer, and cold vermont in the winter. The extreme climates makes people not only more willing to give, because they feel sorry for you - but also can grant more govt aid. I believe while I was still living there the state says a person can not be evicted, or lose power, heat , etc during the winter because of the cold. Pretty good gig.

I also want to say though that many teens from VT go to burlington for shelter from abusive, poor families. They are taken care of in Burlington. When you are a runaway from a poor rural town in vt, and you are 16, Burlington is the best option for safety and support.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:32 PM

1,792 posts, read 4,660,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachtj View Post
It is funny that you mention being homeless in a warmer cliamate. I lived in Burlington for a year, and my job had me in contact and working with many of the people you probably saw on church st. I can tell you for a fact, that there is a certain migration that happens among groups of people who are not really 'homeless' but more panhandlers - as in they do have a place to stay at night. Some people will actually go to the hottest parts of florida in the summer, and cold vermont in the winter. The extreme climates makes people not only more willing to give, because they feel sorry for you - but also can grant more govt aid. I believe while I was still living there the state says a person can not be evicted, or lose power, heat , etc during the winter because of the cold. Pretty good gig.

I also want to say though that many teens from VT go to burlington for shelter from abusive, poor families. They are taken care of in Burlington. When you are a runaway from a poor rural town in vt, and you are 16, Burlington is the best option for safety and support.
At the exit 16 ramp in Colchester, there are always people sitting at the end of the ramp looking for food or money. Many or most look like they are deserving individuals, but I could have spit nails when I watched a gentleman (and I use the term loosely) park his Jeep Grand Cherokee on the side of the road near the Maplefield station. He then walked to the ramp with a cardboard sign and set up shop. My motto is - give to a charitable organization and not to an individual. Dirtbags like this person know how to take advantage of a situation.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:15 PM

914 posts, read 2,917,850 times
Not only are there lazy scammers out there, but when you give directly to a homeless beggar, you don't know what they will do with the money. Will they buy food with it, like you envisioned when you gave it to them? Or will they buy alcohol (most likely scenario) or even drugs. Sorry, but I'm not going to support someone's destructive habit with my hard-earned money just so I can have the warm fuzzies about myself for a few mintues.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:55 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,591,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My son and I recently visited Colleges in Burlington and spent some time in the downtown area. We both really loved the area and I would be happy if he goes to college there. One thing that we both noticed that seemed out of place was the number of obviously homeless people we saw. For a city/town the size of Burlington it was strange. I'm used to seeing homeless people in Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, but was not expecting them in Burlington. Is there a reason for it? Exceptionally nice and generous people??
I guess there is always going to be a "but" wherever one moves. No place is perfect.

Old 09-09-2010, 04:14 PM

459 posts, read 1,036,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjj View Post
I guess there is always going to be a "but" wherever one moves. No place is perfect.
Burlington is a draw for homeless from all over the country. Church St. is a hilarious mix of the very rich and the very poor, much like the rest of the state. Lots and lots of young runaways in Burlington. Walk by Spectrum (or anywhere near it) if you don't believe it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT