Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 PM

12,964 posts, read 13,686,951 times

Advertisements

SLO fo sho
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 07:45 PM

121 posts, read 520,109 times
Sunset strip LA proper where the action is....you can buy sand and have the beach at your house if you cant be close enough to it.

.....and with money all things are possible

Old 12-22-2011, 08:56 PM

103 posts, read 274,340 times
I would have to say San Francisco, I would love to live in one of the those "painted ladies".

Old 12-26-2011, 03:51 PM

121 posts, read 520,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
Easy one for me - mansion in any of the hillside and canyon communities north of sunset in west Los Angeles - the best of LA within minutes and none of the downsides.

Second choices would be Laguna Beach, Malibu, Palos Verdes, the hillside neighborhoods over Palo Alto like Atherton, and southern Marin towns like Belvedere or Mill Valley.

Beach communities are too crowded / public for my tastes, hills of Los Angeles offer exclusivity and privacy without having to be an hour away from the city - a very unique place if you can afford it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
the right mix of amenities, action, and relative in a unique space.
These are great answers by the way

Old 12-26-2011, 06:47 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Scotties Castle.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:51 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
... in my van ... and on my boat ... all over the state.
Oh wait, I already do ...
Nevermind.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:02 PM

1,543 posts, read 2,959,347 times
Ojai (with a pool) - I like inland.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:34 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,950,409 times
Mariposa or Midpines, or Oakhurst around Bass lake (after all teabaggers have been thrown out)
I'd be content with just a shack and outhouse, as soon as there's acreage. Would make bear pastures there and feed local hunters to the bears to fatten them up. Would be sneaking into Yosemite all the time and **** the rangers off in all possible ways.
2nd home would be a cabin around Beldentown.

Today, I went to Walmart in West Sacramento... what a refreshing mix of normal, nice and friendly people--not everything is lost for CA. What a pleasant place compared to any location in Bay area or San Diego, overrun by either yuppies and wannabe-hipsters or, like in the foothills, by racist conservatives.

Last edited by alexxiz; 12-26-2011 at 08:00 PM..

Old 12-26-2011, 08:04 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Quote:
Would be sneaking into Yosemite all the time and **** the rangers off in all possible ways.
An apropo story, a couple of years ago my wife and I were leaving the park by the south entrance, hiway 41, we saw a dozen or so men in military clothing with assault rifles standing in a rough semi circle about 200 feet north of the entrance station.

I asked the cute rangerette at the kiosk what was up. She said there was a report of some motorcyclists that were going to attempt to sneak into the park. She said there were lots more men in the woods.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:19 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,950,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
An apropo story, a couple of years ago my wife and I were leaving the park by the south entrance, hiway 41, we saw a dozen or so men in military clothing with assault rifles standing in a rough semi circle about 200 feet north of the entrance station.

I asked the cute rangerette at the kiosk what was up. She said there was a report of some motorcyclists that were going to attempt to sneak into the park. She said there were lots more men in the woods.
Half of the time one can drive in for free....often there're no rangers collecting money. I guess this was a ranger army trying to ward off hippie riot taking over the park, like they did in the 70s.
They're very busy protecting the Park from American citizens, while wealthy European tourists get disproportionally large chunk of access, in fact they're probably half of the Valley visitors. I guess this is United Nations' property now?
If they're going to do anything about Merced watershed... how about blocking all access by foreign citizens since park is overburdened beyond anything acceptable? It's good to protect against roaring motorcycles--but the same should be done against polluting trailers that use generators. Mariposa county is developing Yosemite West, which is accessed via Yosemite inner road--Wawona road, in fact--what the hell they're not protecting against this outrage?

Last edited by alexxiz; 12-26-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California