Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 10:09 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Come on tax payers, don't you want to keep paying those high taxes? I mean we need to make sure the big Unions and Illegal immigrants can maintain their way of living.

No credible authority states that illegals are a negative on the economy, but, rather, that they are a wash, or a positive.

And, you complain of the high taxes in California, yet they are only 3% higher than the "low tax state" of Texas.

Sure wish you boys operated on facts instead of emotion.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
100% of voters who pay no taxes or very little, support raising taxes on the 100% that pay taxes.

Its very interesting that those, usually Democrats, that always spout crap about not letting the majority trample the rights, freedoms and existence of the minority groups in our society are so quick to allow a circumvention of our representative government when they are exercising their majority power. Very interesting. Sure glad they did not put the Civil Rights Act of 1964 to a popular vote. I bet Homosexuals wish prop 8 was never allowed to go to a popular vote. I guarantee the disabled of our society are over joyed that the Americans with Disability Act of 1990 was not dependant on a popular vote.

Sorry I believe Brown needs to nut up and work on a COMPROMISE with Republicans. Oh wait isn't COMPROMISE what the Democrats are always about. Lets work together in peace and harmony singing Kumbaya. Unless of course your minority Republicans, then you just deserve to shut up and get to the back of the bus or risk being politically lynched on the tree of populism.
+1 rep point

Old 04-25-2011, 10:22 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Times/USC Dornsife Poll: California voters want public employees to shoulder more of the state's financial troubles, according to the Times/USC Dornsife poll - latimes.com

The populous is all over the place in CA .....
I just want it over with so I can execute my post resolution plans...
This is just getting annoying

Old 04-25-2011, 10:30 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Brown hasn't cut anything yet. Why not make some cuts before raising taxes. What he has done is look at the budget and cut the extras that were wanted by "pick a department". Kind of like saying that I am going to buy a new car this year and it will cost me $400 a month. Then I decide I need to make a cut in my expenses and I can save $400 a month by driving my current car. I could then tell my wife that I have saved us $400 a month from our expenses. The real deal is that I never made a cut anywhere. Still my wife is happy.

You want to make me happy? Make some real cuts. don't say we won't fill positions that are empty now and call that a cut. Send pink slips to 25% of the states staff and that would make me happy. That would be a cut.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
No credible authority states that illegals are a negative on the economy, but, rather, that they are a wash, or a positive.

And, you complain of the high taxes in California, yet they are only 3% higher than the "low tax state" of Texas.

No credible authority states that illegals are a net positive on the economy! It's painfully obvious they are a net negative considering all the social cost that are included with them, the medical bills they don't pay, the welfare/food stamps the collect, the kids flooded in the public schools, the unemployment money given to residents given the that can't find jobs because illegals have taken them and most importantly the number of them that are incarcerated in jails and prisons.

Sacramento Bee -- Capitol Alert

There is a fact for you. BTW, bleeding heart liberals like yourself are the ones that tend to let emotions and feelings interfere with fact and rationale.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:41 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Well not an increase, but a tax extension.
I thought I would support such an extension, but now I'm not sure I do after hearing how Brown has gone so easy on the prison guard's union. Even the fairly liberal KCBS radio station was talking about how Brown wasn't truthful about the savings in the pension reforms for prison guards. It just goes to show Brown was never serious about reforming pensions. If the tax is extended, it will be more business as usual.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabbitMage View Post
Maybe this is just me, but I don't typically equate taxes with civil rights. It's wrong to use a majority vote to remove someone's rights, but...isn't taxes one of those things it's generally agreed we SHOULD vote on?
In theory, I agree with you....but we now have a situation where are few people are paying most of the taxes. However, since the sales tax is pretty broad based, I can go along with letting people pay more of they want. As I previously noted, I was going to support the tax extension if put to a popular vote.

But Brown has now proven himself not serious about reforming pensions or doing anything difficult. Instead, he's essentially eliminating the redevelopment agencies of the cities that have them and taking that money that would have gone to them and keeping it for the state. This is what the state of CA always does when it's in a financial bind....put off the hard decisions, raise taxes, and raid the local governments instead.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Times/USC Dornsife Poll: California voters want public employees to shoulder more of the state's financial troubles, according to the Times/USC Dornsife poll - latimes.com

The populace is all over the place in CA .....
I just want it over with so I can execute my post resolution plans...
This is just getting annoying
The populace doesn't understand that if the tax extension goes through, Brown won't do anything to reform the pensions. Of course, even if it doesn't go through, he still might not.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:51 AM

880 posts, read 1,800,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post

CA state income tax up to 10.3 and Texas has no income tax.

Old 04-25-2011, 10:56 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
CA state income tax up to 10.3 and Texas has no income tax.
Texas does have property and sales tax but I find the use of "only 3%" to be highly cavalier, as is the use of the term "boys." For us that would be several thousand dollars a year we can think of better uses for. But I guess if you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth it's easy to be dimissive and disdainful of the peasant classes.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 04-25-2011 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California