Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 07:02 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Yeah, I've heard all that before.

What's one of the first things that the vast bulk American companies do when they get the chance? Send jobs overseas. Will the Tea Party prohibit private enterprise and free commerce from maximizing their profits by sending jobs overseas? Will they tell those companies that they need to keep their dollars in the States to support the American people?

Is keeping a company obligated to the people of the nation it's based in a violation of that entity's independence and liberty? Or is it necessary protectionism to keep Amerricans employed?

Wouldn't your sector (aerospace) continue to decline under the Tea Party as expenditures were cut and we transitioned from a non-interventionalist/defense-oriented military?

Please show me something that will clearly indicate that the Tea Party would keep Californians working rather than sending more of our jobs overseas.
I think you seem to forget the crap tons of companies present in the valley who got the wonderful 'outsourcing' party started... Last I checked, California isn't full of tea party people... Why then did it get kicked off from here? hmmm, all those asian/indian people w/ connection back home ... Hey boss, I know a way to save the company millions .... *jobs go overseas ... mr.outsourcer gets a fat bonus ..

Maybe given the fact that so many tech companies are located in one of the most expensive places in the U.S, they had to ship a good portion of jobs overseas to compensate for the high cost of locating here... Much to the detriment of broader America... but hey, people here have their jobs. The majority are employed still .. I got a job.. the weather is great. Life is good
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 07:25 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,866,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I think you seem to forget the crap tons of companies present in the valley who got the wonderful 'outsourcing' party started... Last I checked, California isn't full of tea party people... Why then did it get kicked off from here? hmmm, all those asian/indian people w/ connection back home ... Hey boss, I know a way to save the company millions .... *jobs go overseas ... mr.outsourcer gets a fat bonus ..
Yup, blame the Asians instead of the people who own the companies and chose to outsource. No doubt it was some guy named Raj who was getting paid $50k/year to write lines of code who put it in the heads of the CEO's... s'all his fault. Do you have a chart for this one, too?

What would the Tea Party do to keep outsourcing and job relocation from happening in California? I am still waiting to hear this. Let's say the Tea Party did manage to convince enough people into voting them into office in California; how could we expect this to improve when we are talking about a party founded on libertarian ideals that dictate that all regulation (which would prevent companies from moving jobs overseas and giving them to citizens of other nations) is akin to slavery and thus must be abolished?

Quote:
Maybe given the fact that so many tech companies are located in one of the most expensive places in the U.S, they had to ship a good portion of jobs overseas to compensate for the high cost of locating here... Much to the detriment of broader America... but hey, people here have their jobs. The majority are employed still .. I got a job.. the weather is great. Life is good
You wanna talk about anecdotal?

How about the fact that part of the reason Silicon Valley is one of the most expensive areas in the US is because it's the epicenter of technology? Wouldn't it have been nice if someone had said, "you can't ship those jobs overseas; you'll just have to build another campus somewhere between Stockton and Fresno... sorry you won't be able to buy an extra yacht this year?"

Old 05-28-2011, 08:10 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Yup, blame the Asians instead of the people who own the companies and chose to outsource. No doubt it was some guy named Raj who was getting paid $50k/year to write lines of code who put it in the heads of the CEO's... s'all his fault. Do you have a chart for this one, too?
I think i might ...lol .. I don't recall i blamed anyone btw.... Saying that connections back at 'home' help grease the wheels. Anecdotally, most people don't speak mandarin/Cantonese/hindi nor have connections in these countries. Outsourcing of tech is quite clear and known in the valley.. and most notable you will have an indian manager coordinating w/ the indian team. a chinese coordinating w/ the china team and so on and so forth .. Just anecdotes ...

Quote:
What would the Tea Party do to keep outsourcing and job relocation from happening in California?
Who says it has to be a person from the tea party .. It could be Barney for all i care .. http://pbskids.kids.us/images/sub-square-barney.gif (broken link) .. how do you prevent job relocation outside the U.S? Simple.. Tariffs on imports that balance the trade. Brazil has very strict import laws .... as does china for that matter.

Quote:
I am still waiting to hear this. Let's say the Tea Party did manage to convince enough people into voting them into office in California; how could we expect this to improve when we are talking about a party founded on libertarian ideals that dictate that all regulation (which would prevent companies from moving jobs overseas and giving them to citizens of other nations) is akin to slavery and thus must be abolished?
*sigh ... you misrepresent the views.. and I ma not suggesting you vote for some quack who says they represent the tea party just as I am not suggesting you vote for some quack who says they are a democrat .. a quack is a quack.. vote for someone w/ some dam sense .. but that's not what people do .. CA's government and the U.S govt. reflect this.

Quote:
You wanna talk about anecdotal?

How about the fact that part of the reason Silicon Valley is one of the most expensive areas in the US is because it's the epicenter of technology? Wouldn't it have been nice if someone had said, "you can't ship those jobs overseas; you'll just have to build another campus somewhere between Stockton and Fresno... sorry you won't be able to buy an extra yacht this year?"
Yep... and look what the idiots in this country do when you try to save money by locating in more tax friendly states :
Boeing S.C. plant at heart of labor lawsuit | The Post and Courier, Charleston SC - News, Sports, Entertainment
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...versus-boeing/
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...266016016.html

This comes under the good ol' watch of obama. So, lets talk sense.. I am no more interested in idiots who proclaim we should ban regulation than I am idiots who over regulate. In general, people are morons and they support morons from their respective parties .. republican/democrats/tea party/libertarian .. You don't stop becoming a moron just because you associate yourself w/ particular political party...

Old 05-28-2011, 08:51 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,973,187 times
Quote:
I intend to

And you keep being convinced we're headed for a cataclysmic downfall.

YouTube - ‪Truth about government bailouts Video‬‏

Old 05-28-2011, 08:52 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We don't believe we need government to rule and regulate our lives and tell us how to act right down to the most intimate of details.

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...thousands.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...-enormous.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...ic-camera.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...where-cut.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...roduction.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/misso...ace-water.html

Old 05-29-2011, 03:58 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Yawn! I could list hundreds for California just from a year or two and thousands if I went much further back. Waste of time, especially when casting pearls before swine.

You are now free to resume gulping the kool-aid!

Old 05-29-2011, 11:34 AM

The first two segments (interviews) of the video are of interest, especially the 2nd interview which is after a commercial.

The Risks Are Enormous”: Why Morgenson and Rosner Are So Worried

Old 05-29-2011, 05:16 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post

Who says it has to be a person from the tea party .. It could be Barney for all i care .. .. how do you prevent job relocation outside the U.S? Simple.. Tariffs on imports that balance the trade. Brazil has very strict import laws .... as does china for that matter.

*sigh ... you misrepresent the views.. and I ma not suggesting you vote for some quack who says they represent the tea party just as I am not suggesting you vote for some quack who says they are a democrat .. a quack is a quack.. vote for someone w/ some dam sense .. but that's not what people do .. CA's government and the U.S govt. reflect this.

This comes under the good ol' watch of obama. So, lets talk sense.. I am no more interested in idiots who proclaim we should ban regulation than I am idiots who over regulate. In general, people are morons and they support morons from their respective parties .. republican/democrats/tea party/libertarian .. You don't stop becoming a moron just because you associate yourself w/ particular political party...
Unfortunately we ca't do much about outsourcing, that would go against our semi-capitalistic economic policy. We could put tariffs on it but when people in China and India make 10 dollars a month I don't think the tariffs will do much. It is unfortunate but maybe some greedy ceo will decide to benefit America and move back to the US.

Yes, stupid people vote. That is why Jerry Brown is in office. Now to be fair to the voters of Brown, Meg Whitman also sucks.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:44 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,524,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
I'm still trying to hang onto my job with all the government cuts in aerospace. I'm just preparing for the future!
Sounds like you just need more government spending in aerospace so you can keep your job in CA. Who says government spending is bad?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndfmnlf View Post
Sounds like you just need more government spending in aerospace so you can keep your job in CA. Who says government spending is bad?
Defending the United States is the responsibility of the federal government which includes funding and managing the Armed Forces and associated agencies.

Bailing out investment banks, auto companies, insurance companies, private and commercial mortgages, bad loans used for mortgage backed securities, general stimulus handouts, (could go on and on …) is not the responsibility of the federal government.

They spend all this money, tens of trillions of dollars, put us in unsustainable debt and still the economy did not improve ... just propped up temporarily. We are still going to crash and burn. But now we are in deep debt which will make any kind of real recovery extremely difficult and lengthy. We can't even afford the interest on the debt we owe other nations.

Last edited by Vascodagama; 05-29-2011 at 07:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California