Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2012, 11:10 AM

943 posts, read 1,321,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
I will agree there is no place like California. I love California. I always will. It is home to me. It is where I was born and where I grew up. California is me and I am it. I wish I could move back today. Not that I hate Las Vegas, it has its own things but I have to live in the real world. And in the real world when you have a family and you need something bigger than a studio apartment to raise 3 kids in and decent schools for them to go to, you just cannot afford California. If you are single or dinks, California might work for you. But if you want a family, the housing, multiple cars and school expenses in California will break you.
The key is buy a house while you are single or dinks, pay off the mortgage with the stock options you get from working in high tech, and THEN have a family. That's what worked for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2012, 11:29 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
I will agree there is no place like California. I love California. I always will. It is home to me. It is where I was born and where I grew up. California is me and I am it. I wish I could move back today. Not that I hate Las Vegas, it has its own things but I have to live in the real world. And in the real world when you have a family and you need something bigger than a studio apartment to raise 3 kids in and decent schools for them to go to, you just cannot afford California. If you are single or dinks, California might work for you. But if you want a family, the housing, multiple cars and school expenses in California will break you.
There are an awful lot of families succeeding well without high incomes in California. Millions and millions of them. It's just the simple truth.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:31 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insightofitall View Post
God forgive me for saying this, but I'm human and sometimes there are things which I just can't hold inside...

Poor pitiful you. It must be really tough up there on the hill, barely scraping by on only 200k-300k a year.

Excuse me, but I don't feel sorry for you. If you can't make it on that kind of salary, you have serious issues. Move somewhere else. There are people in this country who can only wish they made as much as you will be bringing in. I refuse to believe you have THAT hard of a time trying to make it in California, or even NYC, on such a high salary.

Sorry, mods. I know I'm not supposed to personally attack people, but this kind of stuff gets on my nerves.
Yeah but your forgot one thing, this is the internet, talk is cheap. Magically with a press of the keyboard you too can make $200K or even $500K+ a year! Or why not just go for the mountain and claim $1M/year?

Seriously I doubt people who truthfully earn a salary in excess of $200-300K in personal income are on City Data looking for answers. All the Wealth Management Firms would be spinning mad if so.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:02 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,851,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
Yeah but your forgot one thing, this is the internet, talk is cheap. Magically with a press of the keyboard you too can make $200K or even $500K+ a year! Or why not just go for the mountain and claim $1M/year?

Seriously I doubt people who truthfully earn a salary in excess of $200-300K in personal income are on City Data looking for answers. All the Wealth Management Firms would be spinning mad if so.
But then again, why would an anonymous poster (who's not even a regular forum member and who doesn't partake in the ego battles) have any need to speak about his wealth?
It's about as unlikely as wealth management firms perusing internet forums for clients. (if that's what you meant by "spinning mad").

Old 01-06-2012, 04:34 PM

19,214 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:

What??? You mean people on the "net" lie to us??? Oh woe is me ... life will never be the same.

Old 01-06-2012, 11:18 PM

8 posts, read 13,449 times
People born in CA adjust...people out of state think it is expensive here...we are used to it.

Old 01-07-2012, 12:09 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Well... there always seems to be a lot of Californians in Las Vegas...

A few years ago... knew quite a few that liquidated and moved to Las Vegas... even a family with 5 households that I had previously mentioned...

Housing dollars go much farther and by the same token... dollars seem to be hard to get... at least the wages for the same work were substantially less compared to the Bay Area...

In hindsight, my luck was buying a house that nobody wanted when I was in college... it was so run down... I mean you had to watch where you stepped so you didn't fall through the floor and mice and rats scampered when I opened the door... I bought it for $11,500 cash... my life savings from working as many as three jobs and paying into social security starting at age 12 with a work permit...

The 700+ square foot shack was listed for 30k for over 9 months... I told the Real Estate Agent the executor was dreaming... about 10 days later she called and said the family wants to settle the estate and I should make an offer... we talked and I said a person would be crazy to pay more than the lot value of 11 to 12k for the place and she said I will write an offer for $11,500 and the next day reality set in... I had bought my first Bay Area home at age 21...

Learned a lot going through every inch of it and neighbors all thought it would be a tear down... they were sure surprised when I told them I was going to live there and fixed it up...

Still have it today... it has been rented for $775 for the last 10 years and $575 for the 15 years prior.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-07-2012 at 01:51 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 12:18 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:

You never know... I work with Doctors and some amaze me... don't get me wrong... they are excellent at what they do... they are often so focused that they learn about money through the school of hard knocks...

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/small-business-doctors-going-broke-101200127.html (broken link)

Can't tell you how many invested in ventures that went belly up...

On the other hand... a single hard working Nurse in the Bay Area can start at $50 an hour (SF General new Grad RN's) and I know Nurses earning close to the $200k... they are the type that have two jobs... one with three 12-hour shifts and then weekends at another hospital...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 01-07-2012 at 01:50 AM..

Old 01-07-2012, 06:30 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
There are an awful lot of families succeeding well without high incomes in California. Millions and millions of them. It's just the simple truth.
Null, now come on, don't you remember, half of us are supposed to be "Pretenders"?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:49 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,898,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Null, now come on, don't you remember, half of us are supposed to be "Pretenders"?
There is only one real Pretenders

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California