Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,948,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If any of you want to make Mt Lion jerky you need to follow these instructions.

http://www.uwyo.edu/foods/_files/jerky%20article.pdf
This recipe works for "dog jerky" too...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 03:32 PM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
This recipe works for "dog jerky" too...
There was this dude selling Coyote jerky at a fair. Needless to say there was no line.
HURL

Old 03-14-2012, 10:56 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Guess your father never taught you to shoot or took you out hunting, huh? Pity! It was great for bonding.
Nope. My father was killed, in 1969 in Vietnam. Hunting men.

I learned to shoot in the Marine Corps, which taught me to hunt men. It also taught me to bond with men.

Hunting animals is easy. There is absolutely NO SPORT in that.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:20 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

I learned to shoot in the Marine Corps, which taught me to hunt men. It also taught me to bond with men.

A salute to your father. And by the way, I mostly agree with your last line which is why I haven't hunted since combat during your father's time. Where I disagree is that in elements of society in which hunting is a "tradition" it's like a rite of passage for young men, usually taught by their fathers. Thinning the herd isn't always a bad thing, nor is the bonding aspect.

Old 03-15-2012, 07:58 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Quote:

Yep, just like going to the grocery store. You pull up, stick the gun out the winder and blam. Sometimes they even have a guy on site to help load bambi. Don't forget to tip 20%.

Old 03-15-2012, 08:47 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,680,593 times
Quote:

So your a vegetarian then.

Old 03-16-2012, 12:43 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
So your a vegetarian then.
Absolutely not. I admit the fact my points are difficult to justify. Never denied it. I eat meat, like no tomorrow. Nothing better then a hunk of dead cow, grilled over an open flame.

HOWEVER, I don't hunt bambi or anything else. To ME, there is a difference between dumb animals brought up to be killed and put in the supermarkets, and someone going out and killing them.

NOW, if you live in some backwater state/area, where you have to hunt to survive, then fine. I am all good with it. However, the facts are, most do not. Most people hunt, as an ego booster to themselves. To make themselves feel good and strong. I am man, I am hunter. I killed Bambi.

No. You are coward and a sissy. Bambi can't hunt you and/or shoot back. That is my point and always will be.

If you truly want to "hunt" a true thing, hunt man. He can hunt you back, shoot back, and kill you. That will truly test your outdoor skills. Animals cannot. And you don't need to hunt animals to feed your fat face. You can buy any type of meat you want, at your local supermarket and/or online.

Its a simple cowards way out of saying you are a rough, tough, man.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:00 AM

In my state there's a program called Share the Harvest in which deer hunters donate over 300,000 pounds of venison each year to feed the needy and processors in each county donate their labors to make it available. Without the annual hunting season we'd be overrun with deer to the detriment of agriculture which would also result in a lot of diseased deer and more damage and loss of human life due to car-meets-deer incidents over time - something we narrowly avoid several times a year in our "backwater" hill country. Thinning the herd is necessary and the numbers of permits and tags are carefully regulated by the Dept. of Conservation.

Frozen venison, elk, buffalo, etc. sold in grocery stores, while better than nothing, are just that, frozen, overly processed and a far cry in flavor and texture than fresh meet off the hoof. By the way, those animals are likely no "smarter" than the dumb animals you eat, just craftier, harder to find and stand a better chance at survival than those penned and driven into killing shoots. They likely enjoy their lives far more as well.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:38 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
300,000 pounds of venison each year
Generally a deer provides no more than 100 lbs of meat, Are you saying that 3,000 deer are supplied to charity? How many deer are harvested each year in Missouri?

Personally, I don't care much for venison, I much prefer slow elk.

Old 03-16-2012, 08:50 AM

Tens of thousands. Here are the latest figures:

Deer Harvest Summary: 2011-2012 | MDC

Without the hunts we'd be overrun.

Elk have just recently been reintroduced to the state so it will be awhile before hunting is permitted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California