Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 09:16 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Absolutely not. I admit the fact my points are difficult to justify. Never denied it. I eat meat, like no tomorrow. Nothing better then a hunk of dead cow, grilled over an open flame.

HOWEVER, I don't hunt bambi or anything else. To ME, there is a difference between dumb animals brought up to be killed and put in the supermarkets, and someone going out and killing them.

NOW, if you live in some backwater state/area, where you have to hunt to survive, then fine. I am all good with it. However, the facts are, most do not. Most people hunt, as an ego booster to themselves. To make themselves feel good and strong. I am man, I am hunter. I killed Bambi.

No. You are coward and a sissy. Bambi can't hunt you and/or shoot back. That is my point and always will be.

If you truly want to "hunt" a true thing, hunt man. He can hunt you back, shoot back, and kill you. That will truly test your outdoor skills. Animals cannot. And you don't need to hunt animals to feed your fat face. You can buy any type of meat you want, at your local supermarket and/or online.

Its a simple cowards way out of saying you are a rough, tough, man.
Interesting psychological dichotomies going on in there. Have fun with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Tens of thousands. Here are the latest figures:

Deer Harvest Summary: 2011-2012 | MDC

Without the hunts we'd be overrun.

Elk have just recently been reintroduced to the state so it will be awhile before hunting is permitted.
Pennsylvania killed 336,000+ deer this past year. Now that's a whole lotta venison.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:39 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Pennsylvania killed 336,000+ deer this past year. Now that's a whole lotta venison.
Our firearms total was just shy of 240,000 with archers bagging about 53,000 so we came just shy of 300,000.

Like you said, that's a whole lot of venison. In a depressed economy with mostly low-paying jobs and a lot of seasonal occupations in rural areas which comprise most of the state, the hunt sustains a lot of families.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Our firearms total was just shy of 240,000 with archers bagging about 53,000 so we came just shy of 300,000.

Like you said, that's a whole lot of venison. In a depressed economy with mostly low-paying jobs and a lot of seasonal occupations in rural areas which comprise most of the state, the hunt sustains a lot of families.
Wow almost three quarters of a million slaughtered Bambi's in one year in just two states.

Those white tails are thick and prolific. Sounds like a Rap song line.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:34 AM

50,268 posts, read 47,023,439 times
Quote:
Absolutely not. I admit the fact my points are difficult to justify. Never denied it. I eat meat, like no tomorrow. Nothing better then a hunk of dead cow, grilled over an open flame.

HOWEVER, I don't hunt bambi or anything else. To ME, there is a difference between dumb animals brought up to be killed and put in the supermarkets, and someone going out and killing them.

NOW, if you live in some backwater state/area, where you have to hunt to survive, then fine. I am all good with it. However, the facts are, most do not. Most people hunt, as an ego booster to themselves. To make themselves feel good and strong. I am man, I am hunter. I killed Bambi.

No. You are coward and a sissy. Bambi can't hunt you and/or shoot back. That is my point and always will be.

If you truly want to "hunt" a true thing, hunt man. He can hunt you back, shoot back, and kill you. That will truly test your outdoor skills. Animals cannot. And you don't need to hunt animals to feed your fat face. You can buy any type of meat you want, at your local supermarket and/or online.

Its a simple cowards way out of saying you are a rough, tough, man.

Wow, dude, you are all over the road there. I read where there were 45 million hunters in the US. Out of that number probably 2% can afford to go on trophy hunts for imported or trophy animals. I'm talking about a fenced hunt for mostly pretty tame animals. It's expensive and I do not agree with it (to kill just to kill). But, it's not against the law. It's against the law to waste meat. Most hunters either eat their kill or make sure it doesn't go to waste. I know a LOT of hunters and they don't waste game.
Now, if you have an issue with people taking pictures of their kill? Well, I suggest you block those channels on your TV as it too is not against the law.

There are a lot of animals that can kill you when you are hunting. It's not likely but if you head out into the woods thinking you are immortal then you are an idiot.

Do you realize in 2012 one of the largest growths in hunting and fishing is by women?

I'd rather see someone shoot and eat a rabbit than watch someone take a bite of a burger then leave it to be tossed out at some greasy spoon.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:13 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,896,236 times
Quote:
... ALL hunters should be hunted. If they are such rough, tough, outdoorsmen, then hunt MAN. You know, the ONLY animal on this planet which can think and, moreover, SHOOT BACK. They won't of course, because most are cowards.

... There is no reason for it, except to bolster your own fragile ego.

... Save me the BS: Its enjoyable, and bonding, etc. Its just that: BS.
Quote:
Nope. My father was killed, in 1969 in Vietnam. Hunting men.

I learned to shoot in the Marine Corps, which taught me to hunt men. It also taught me to bond with men...
Quote:
... Most people hunt, as an ego booster to themselves. To make themselves feel good and strong. I am man, I am hunter. I killed Bambi.

If you truly want to "hunt" a true thing, hunt man. He can hunt you back, shoot back, and kill you. That will truly test your outdoor skills. ... Its a simple cowards way out of saying you are a rough, tough, man.
Phil, imo you make statements that contain partial truths, but wrapped in incomplete thought process. Men and women sometimes hunt for shallow reasons, as you say. But it, hunting, truly is part of our deepest nature -- just as domestic cats and dogs have no need to hunt but continue to live and breathe the behavior in their every awareness.

If you are interested, a famous Spanish philosopher, Jose Ortega y Gasset, a Jesuit trained thinker, wrote one of the most definitive books on the philosophy behind the nature of humans' hunting instinct and pleasure: "Meditations on Hunting".

I took multiple instances of combat damage in Vietnam, where I served from '66 - '68. I witnessed, and participated, in that kind of 'bonding' and hunting -- including having men turn on their own 'brothers in arms' and kill their own under cover of combat -- as well as Charlie. The bonding of 'brothers in arms' is partial myth. While it does certainly occur, it is often extremely as shallow as it can be deep. In any case, the hunting of men and the hunting of animals are two very different things, indeed. Your bitterness in your posts reflects the devastating effects of your job as a police officer.

I would also point out that the challenge of negotiating the wilderness in the hunt, or any other activity, is as filled with essential vitality as hunting men, however different.

All said, however, I do agree that hunting with modern weapons and technology diminishes the degree of the purity of the experience. The challenge of even getting close enough to harvest an animal with relatively primitive, simple bow and arrow to me is vastly more intense. Actually running a deer to death, as was done by small teams of men in ancient times, is a level I wonder if I could ever have attained. But man is a natural user of tools -- which includes hunting tools: slings, spears, knives, bow and arrow, joint-venture with dogs, etc. Firearms? Yeah, not so much.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
If you are interested, a famous Spanish philosopher, Jose Ortega y Gasset, a Jesuit trained thinker, wrote one of the most definitive books on the philosophy behind the nature of humans' hunting instinct and pleasure: "Meditations on Hunting".
Loved Ortega y Gasset's "Revolt of the Masses". Surprised to see you refer to him favorably.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Loved Ortega y Gasset's "Revolt of the Masses". Surprised to see you refer to him favorably.
There are more things in heaven and earth, [Pilgrim], Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
That you can not grasp the nature of such a 'moron' as I doth not surprise me.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:14 PM

4,254 posts, read 5,605,527 times
Quote:
There are more things in heaven and earth, [Pilgrim], Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
Undoubtedly. I do my best.

Quote:
That you can not grasp the nature of such a 'moron' as I doth not surprise me.
Can a finite mind grasp the nature of the infinite Nullgeo?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesternPilgrim View Post
Undoubtedly. I do my best.

Can a finite mind grasp the nature of the infinite Nullgeo?
A topic for a different thread. But, to lend a simple response: finite segments of Mind cannot know AllMind any more than a photon knows light despite being light, itself. However, even finite segments of [some] minds can grasp the meaning of infinity, yes. Just not the experience.

And now I believe I will grasp the meaning of lunch, including a portion of meat with my raw salad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California