Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 06:20 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlywhite View Post
I have pointed this out elsewhere too. But the crime rate in Oroville is misleading..Oroville population is about 16000. Oroville area has about 60,000. So you have a town of 16000 people rated by the crimes of 60,000 people. That is a major factor in the rates.
Sounds a bit like the "Oakland is a warzone!" hype. People need to dig a little deeper to appreciate the true nature of a place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2013, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,029 times
most of orovilles crimes stems from poverty but there are more than one active gangs here and the district attorney michael ramsey has his hands in everything in this area and the reason you dont see the weekly and i mean weekly shootings and stabing is because federal involvement here means his illegal work would be found out, theres nowhere in oroville i would consider safe at night and the reason the drugs and violence isnt being given the attention it needs stems from ramsey's corruption. and to those of u who dont see the crime live sheltered lives the majority of oroville southside palermo thermalito downtown are not safe

Old 12-15-2013, 03:00 PM

1,017 posts, read 2,498,517 times
Wow Oroville looks like a rough city...

Oroville violent crime rate - 681.2
USA violent crime rate - 386.9

Oroville property crime rate - 6,309.3
USA property crime rate - 2,859.2

Old 12-15-2013, 06:55 PM

412 posts, read 1,153,425 times
The housing is cheap there, that explains why it's high crime rate. I used to go there often when I was a teenager to visit my friend who lived there with his parents. They still live there not far from the 7-11 store in south part of Oroville.

Funny thing, there was a tornado that did damage the church there, anyone remember that?

Old 12-15-2013, 07:43 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by black bart View Post
most of orovilles crimes stems from poverty but there are more than one active gangs here and the district attorney michael ramsey has his hands in everything in this area and the reason you dont see the weekly and i mean weekly shootings and stabing is because federal involvement here means his illegal work would be found out, theres nowhere in oroville i would consider safe at night and the reason the drugs and violence isnt being given the attention it needs stems from ramsey's corruption. and to those of u who dont see the crime live sheltered lives the majority of oroville southside palermo thermalito downtown are not safe
Ramsey is scum of the earth in my book and I agree completely with the corruption claims you make about him. As far as the majority of Oroville not being safe - you must not get out of town much. I've lived in Fresno, Salinas and Sacramento over the years and they're way, way more crime-ridden and unsafe. As someone pointed out the crime statistics are based on the population in Oroville city limits (which is 16,000). Add in Thermalito, South Oroville, Kelly Ridge and the East Foothills and the population of the immediate area is closer to 35,000-40,000. Take that crime total and spread it out over that many people and you get a far more accurate, lower figure.

The worst part about Oroville at the moment is the huge homeless population hanging around Oro Dam Blvd (mostly vagrant men). I guess we can thank the Oroville Rescue Mission and Salvation Army for being magnets for them. Chico has a similar problem - guess its just the area for some reason. Never saw this many in Salinas and Monterey where I lived previously.

Last edited by BeauCharles; 12-15-2013 at 07:51 PM..

Old 08-11-2014, 03:42 PM

330 posts, read 429,167 times
Default is Oroville unsafe?

I sure would like to see an update from locals: I have been offered a job in Oroville and if I have to drive to/from Chico every day just to feel safe that makes it a lot less appealing.

I get that stats can make it look worse than it is - but if your Mom/Aunt/Older Sister was thinking of moving there and living alone, what would you tell her?

thanks!
Jackie

Old 08-13-2014, 01:37 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,848,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post
I sure would like to see an update from locals: I have been offered a job in Oroville and if I have to drive to/from Chico every day just to feel safe that makes it a lot less appealing.

I get that stats can make it look worse than it is - but if your Mom/Aunt/Older Sister was thinking of moving there and living alone, what would you tell her?

thanks!
Jackie
You have to drive to/from Chico just to feel safe? Isn't all that driving the greatest risk to your well-being?

Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 PM

191 posts, read 311,802 times
Don't believe the hype.

Old 08-15-2014, 10:31 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,514,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieLovesSun View Post

thanks!
Jackie
My mom, aunt and older sister (and a cadre of nieces and nephews) live here right now. IT'S SAFE! You would be much more likely to be exposed to violent crime in a larger city like Chico. I wouldn't have bought a home here (in the city limits) if it was a war zone. Biggest issue I have is getting bored.

Old 08-17-2014, 12:26 AM

762 posts, read 2,031,815 times
tweakers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California