Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:16 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,092,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialdriller View Post
I would be ok with that. I just don't understand why people make babies they can't afford to feed or care for.
So you're okay with babies dying because you don't understand why the parents had them? Heck, let's assume the parents are all irresponsible...you're okay with letting babies die because they happen to be brought into the world by irresponsible parents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2012, 12:58 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
So you're okay with babies dying because you don't understand why the parents had them? Heck, let's assume the parents are all irresponsible...you're okay with letting babies die because they happen to be brought into the world by irresponsible parents?
Seems you have forgotten that thousands outside of America do everyday for this very reason. Something in the way of not having enough perceived prosperity and a blank check to write off the laws of nature. Dare I say many innocent 'children' are killed in the name of war everyday so that many in America may live not on the cusp of life/death but in the lap of luxury.. Something in the way of global food price inflation caused by America's reckless federal reserve.

Would you give your last penny to save the world's children or just for America's? Does this not establish that one has limits? Limits which cannot save the world's babies? So, a question to you.. :
> What makes America's babies so important vs. the worlds?
> Given that you can't save the world's babies .. By this logic, are you o.k w/ the world's babies dying because irresponsible parents have them?

Seems many have become disillusioned in the castle of false prosperity that they get beside themselves in thinking that the harsh rules of nature are not at work all around us.

You're on no higher ground....

First world problems

Old 05-22-2012, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Seems you have forgotten that thousands outside of America do everyday for this very reason.
Umm......and? Are you suggesting that because people starve to death in other nations...its okay for it to happen here? The idea that the US doesn't have enough prosperity to feed its population is just...laughable.

Quote:
Something in the way of global food price inflation caused by America's reckless federal reserve.
Umm...no. The federal reserve can only inflate a single currency, namely the US dollar. Fed action has nothing to do with the price of food in other currencies.

Quote:
> What makes America's babies so important vs. the worlds?
> Given that you can't save the world's babies .. By this logic, are you o.k w/ the world's babies dying because irresponsible parents have them?
American babies aren't more important than those in other nations, but we are talking about the US and Americans have little say in what happens in other countries.

There is no reason babies in other countries need to starve either. Poverty is a symptom of bad economic policy.

Old 05-22-2012, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Umm......and? Are you suggesting that because people starve to death in other nations...its okay for it to happen here? The idea that the US doesn't have enough prosperity to feed its population is just...laughable.
No, what is laughable is questioning someone's compassion and morals only w.r.t the myopic view of the United State's babies as if there are no others in the world. Sorry, your compassion/morals/values/beliefs mean nothing and you are on no higher ground if it ends after you step foot outside of the U.S. Your small scale compassion can be applied in the case where one cares only for their immediate children and no one else's. You extend it out a bit to the U.S but miss the rest of the world.. You're no better.

Quote:
Umm...no. The federal reserve can only inflate a single currency, namely the US dollar. Fed action has nothing to do with the price of food in other currencies.
Umm. Yes. Given the fact the the U.S dollar is the reserve currency and trade is denominated in U.S dollars, the price of food in other currencies is very well impacted by what the fed does.

Get real. One of my most successful trades over the past couple of years has been betting on commodity inflation... in the years to come it will be the place to be again. why? because every country in the world has adopted the U.S's approach to resolving their financial issues : printing .. and that causes inflation... How's that gas approaching $5/gal?

Quote:
American babies aren't more important than those in other nations, but we are talking about the US and Americans have little say in what happens in other countries.

There is no reason babies in other countries need to starve either. Poverty is a symptom of bad economic policy.
No reason? It's called nature. Seems since you live in the lap of luxury in the U.S that you've forgotten about it... So yes, thousands of babies die everyday for various reasons.. One is irresponsible parents....
Man who fathered 30 kids with 11 women seeks child support help - latimes.com

No problems here ..

#firstworldproblems

.. Dying babies in the U.S .. Seems a well-to-do liberal has never lived in poverty.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun...sinos-20100624

My EBT .. EBT .. I just swiped my EBT

Get this hot track on itunes... It's gone platinum

Thank god for bleeding heart liberals like you... Ensuring ignorant poverty since the beginning of time.
I guess it feels good to the uppity folks who are disconnected from reality... Feeling that someone is dependent on their handouts for survival.. Bet it makes you feel all warm inside.

*cheers mate.. You're changing the world .. Dying babies need your gracious tax donation to see another day..

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 05-22-2012 at 02:03 AM..

Old 05-22-2012, 06:42 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serialdriller View Post
I would be ok with that. I just don't understand why people make babies they can't afford to feed or care for.
Why not, we can't blame everyone for stealing, err I mean using what is freely given right? Just think what would happen if we limited social services to citizens who were Americans(as in must have one US Parent). Or in this case a US Citizen and valid CA ID holder.

Old 05-22-2012, 06:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,722,740 times
Quote:

Maybe instead of spending hundreds of dollars at Disneyland, liberals should buy food for the starving parents who choose to conceive children they cannot afford to feed.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:21 AM

Quote:
No, what is laughable is questioning someone's compassion and morals only w.r.t the myopic view of the United State's babies as if there are no others in the world.
You are just trying to divert attention from the real issue, namely, whether we should allow children to starve to death within the United States. We don't have control over what happens in other nations, just this nation.

Cost the to feed and provide medical care to poor children in this nation is far less then what we spend on the military. We have the money, so its only a question of whether we want to help those in need or not.

Quote:
Umm. Yes. Given the fact the the U.S dollar is the reserve currency and trade is denominated in U.S dollars, the price of food in other currencies is very well impacted by what the fed does.
Still....no. With the exception of oil, the commodities trade is not denominated in US dollars. Furthermore, being denominated in US dollars isn't all that meaningful in the first place. Its just a common measuring stick, it doesn't mean you have to buy the commodity with US dollars. Oil is traded in all sorts of currencies every day.

The reserve status of the US dollar doesn't allow the fed to control other currencies which would be required for the fed to cause inflation in other currencies....

Regardless, back to California. Cutting funding for colleges, cutting funding for children in need, etc isn't going to improve the future of the state. This is like saving money by not getting an oil change for your car, it may save in the short-term but long-term it will be far more costly.

Old 05-22-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe instead of spending hundreds of dollars at Disneyland, liberals should buy food for the starving parents who choose to conceive children they cannot afford to feed.
Instead? So suggesting that the government should provide social services to the poor means that I should forgo all discretionary spending?

I already "buy food for the starving..." via my taxes and charities. And I pay more in taxes than most of you probably make...

Old 05-22-2012, 05:12 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
And I pay more in taxes than most of you probably make...
WOW! I'm sooo impressed.

Here's some good advice for ya:

Old 05-22-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Instead? So suggesting that the government should provide social services to the poor means that I should forgo all discretionary spending?

I already "buy food for the starving..." via my taxes and charities. And I pay more in taxes than most of you probably make...
Pay more.. i mean, unless you don't care about the dying babies and all and don't have any compassion (your logic .. not mine).

Obviously what you establish is that there is a 'limit' on 'help' that can be given.
Your establishment of where to draw the line is your 'opinion' .... However, at the end of the day, no matter how small.. it is still 'help'.. and should be up to an individual if and how much they want to give.. not some idiots in govt.
No matter how much you give.. there are thousands of babies that will die in the world due to unfit parents... The root problem centers on two unfit individuals getting together and procreating .. Throwing money at the result of this problem is a 2ndary attempt to 'paper over' the real issue. It's costly and a danger is : Promoting and rewarding reckless behavior.. Thus, the problem grows bigger as do the cost. Very hard for someone to learn absent feedback that they've made a mistake...
Man who fathered 30 kids with 11 women seeks child support help - latimes.com

Intelligent well-to-do Liberals have this issue w/ thinking that if you just give more money and help, people will 'get right'. The problem lies in the fact that they have generally never lived in poverty .. Are for removed from the many examples in which people 'act up' no matter how much help/$$ you give them.. In a good number of cases, act up even more..

But whatever, this is how to nuckleheads in california have decided to address issues.. Which is why :
> California's budget is still sucking wind
> I will no longer be a resident of this state beyond 2012.

As I approach becoming a responsible parent who takes care of his family (wife/children), the last place I want to be is in an irresponsible state that will punish my attempts at providing a decent QOL for my wife/children.. After-all, I maintain it's my responsibility to take care of my family.. Not the govt... And, as a responsible individual, I take widely avail. steps to ensure I don't have any kids before I can provide for them adequately..

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 05-22-2012 at 05:41 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California