Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 09:42 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,456,246 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I care, and that is sufficient for me, why would anyone choose to live in a state with nearly zero public land, nearly zero wilderness, a couple of hills out west that rise to less than 9,000 feet, the rest of the state is flat to rolling. I would die of boredom.
The mountainous terrain is one issue that prevents me from assimilating out West, especially California. I could only imagine being in rush hour traffic on a downslope of the Sepulveda Pass and the brakes on my car suddenly go out.

Quote:
Bashing Texas is an old and honored tradition in the real West of the United States. It has to do with, for instance, the tendency of Texans to tuck their pants into their boots, and the wear those silly Taco hats, Western hats with uptilted brims, how the heck do you protect your head from the sun if you bend your brims up? An example of a Texas joke, If Bull Doodoo were painted white, more Texans would ski.
Careful! Bashing America is also an old and honored tradition in Texas.

I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the textbook/education controversy. First that dentist on the school board churns the evolution controversy with disclaimers behind the front cover and now David Barton is Christianizing history and somewhat placing Jefferson in disdain. I had a good education in Texas but I doubt my children will, so I'm looking to move to California one day where this s--t doesn't happen.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:37 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Your entire response is a joke! I have never seen anyone in the cities that I lived in tuck their jeans into their boots much less wear boots! I grew up in a world class city and never observed a cowboy unless the rodeo was in town. Sure you can size up TX just by a drive through Your post proves that you know absoutley knothing about Houston, Dallas or Austin. Absoutley nothing and you come across as a fool for what you have said so far. Save it since I know what is up in those cities having lived in each of them. You don't have a single clue as to what you are talking about.

You continue to claim that I am off on the tax thing...show me. You have no clue what you are talking about since you have never lived in the state of TX. I gave you a link and you still failed to grasp the tax differences between states. No taxes come out of any form of retirement in TX but CA fully taxes all forms of retirement...what is so difficult to understand about that? I also recommend that you get a calculator and crunch the numbers and hopefully you can understand basic math and the light will come on for you. Good Luck with that. You are flat out wrong with your misinformation and lack of understanding. It is very easy to look up...so be my guest. I know the tax differences as I have lived in both states.

If you have no issues with CA then you apparently don't have a grasp on the problems of the state. But seriously you can bash TX all you want based on your drive through but you only sound like a fool when you do it.

Have fun living in LaLa land as the states economy crawls along.
I am pleased to have attracted such pleasant comments as "you are a fool" Regarding taxes, the source I gave already crunched the numbers, apparently you did not review their data.

Incidentally, we moved from a so called low tax state to retire here in California, and we see very little difference, in fact, no difference that can be noticed between the taxes there and here.

Quote:
absoutley knothing about Houston, Dallas or Austin. Absoutley nothing and you come across as a fool
Not only am I familiar with heat, bugs and humidity, I can spell too.

Why would the state of the states economy affect one, unless one were affected by it? The condition of the state's economy has no effect on my life. As far as la la land, what are you thinking about? 49% of the land area of California is by law, uninhabited and aside from the military bases open for your recreation, camping, fishing, day dreaming, mountain climbing, skiing (how is the skiing in Texas?).

Remember this, half of the state of California is open, public recreational land. With big rivers, trout, high mountains, deep canyons, giant trees, giant forests, Nothing quite beats the smell of hot granite and Jeffery Pines on a warm summer day. You could take a walk in California for say, two to three weeks, and 2-300 miles and not cross a road.

Texas on the other hand has virtually no public lands other than two National Parks in the western end (the only civilized part of the state). It does however have, heat, bugs and humidity.

Course if you live in the part of Texas where no boots are to be seen, you could be in any other eastern city, as they are all about the same, excellent places to steer clear of.

Old 08-09-2012, 12:47 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,686,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
The mountainous terrain is one issue that prevents me from assimilating out West, especially California. I could only imagine being in rush hour traffic on a downslope of the Sepulveda Pass and the brakes on my car suddenly go out.

I had not considered Sepulveda Pass a mountainous area. Then again, I don't think of Los Angeles much.

Careful! Bashing America is also an old and honored tradition in Texas.

I imagine it is, Lincoln was wrong, he should have let the south go (not that Texas is actually Southern, or Western, it is after all, Texas. Did you know that the reason the Americans in Texas revolted against the Mexican government was because the Mexicans outlawed slavery, and the Americans wanted to keep their slaves. Another factoid. the state song: The Yellow Rose of Texas. concerned a mulatto lady of the night, high yeller, was the term of a light skinned mulatto. Texans don't like to talk about that

I'm surprised that you didn't bring up the textbook/education controversy. First that dentist on the school board churns the evolution controversy with disclaimers behind the front cover and now David Barton is Christianizing history and somewhat placing Jefferson in disdain. I had a good education in Texas but I doubt my children will, so I'm looking to move to California one day where this s--t doesn't happen.

Another anecdote on Texas education, I ran into a fellow last summer, who had recently moved to the Central Coast from an "Exclusive" subdivision of Dallas with what he said were some of the best schools in Texas. He was very concerned about the public schools in our little town and the quality of the education their children would get in a California public school with all those hispanic farm worker kids etc. I saw him again late in the fall and he confessed to me that his children, both the girl and boy were in danger of flunking the first quarter as they were so far behind the local kids.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:27 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What's so difficult to understand is that you're incorrect. CA does NOT tax Social Security income or VA disability benefits.

Here's a breakdown:

Retirement Income Taxes: Social Security and Railroad Retirement benefits are exempt. There is a 2.5% tax on early distributions and qualified pensions. All private, local, state and federal pensions are fully taxed.
Retired Military Pay: Follows federal tax rules.
Military Disability Retired Pay: Retirees who entered the military before Sept. 24, 1975, and members receiving disability retirements based on combat injuries or who could receive disability payments from the VA are covered by laws giving disability broad exemption from federal income tax. Most military retired pay based on service-related disabilities also is free from federal income tax, but there is no guarantee of total protection.
VA Disability Dependency and Indemnity Compensation: VA benefits are not taxable because they generally are for disabilities and are not subject to federal or state taxes.
Military SBP/SSBP/RCSBP/RSFPP: Generally subject to state taxes for those states with income tax. Check with state department of revenue office.

Now from the 'great' state of Texas:

Military Disability Retired Pay: Disability Portion – Length of Service Pay: Member on September 24, 1975 – No tax; Not Member on September 24, 1975 – Taxed, unless combat incurred. Retired Pay – Based solely on disability. Member on September 24, 1975 – No tax. Not Member on September 24, 1975 – Taxed, unless all pay based on disability, and disability resulted from armed conflict, extra-hazardous service, simulated war, or an instrumentality of war.

If I read that correctly, TX picks on some soldiers with disability retirements. That's curious!

Source for tax info: Taxes by State
Thanks but I was not referring to SS or Military retirement. I was referring to this part of that link: All private, local, state and federal pensions are fully taxed.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I am pleased to have attracted such pleasant comments as "you are a fool" Regarding taxes, the source I gave already crunched the numbers, apparently you did not review their data.

Incidentally, we moved from a so called low tax state to retire here in California, and we see very little difference, in fact, no difference that can be noticed between the taxes there and here.

Not only am I familiar with heat, bugs and humidity, I can spell too.

Why would the state of the states economy affect one, unless one were affected by it? The condition of the state's economy has no effect on my life. As far as la la land, what are you thinking about? 49% of the land area of California is by law, uninhabited and aside from the military bases open for your recreation, camping, fishing, day dreaming, mountain climbing, skiing (how is the skiing in Texas?).

Remember this, half of the state of California is open, public recreational land. With big rivers, trout, high mountains, deep canyons, giant trees, giant forests, Nothing quite beats the smell of hot granite and Jeffery Pines on a warm summer day. You could take a walk in California for say, two to three weeks, and 2-300 miles and not cross a road.

Texas on the other hand has virtually no public lands other than two National Parks in the western end (the only civilized part of the state). It does however have, heat, bugs and humidity.

Course if you live in the part of Texas where no boots are to be seen, you could be in any other eastern city, as they are all about the same, excellent places to steer clear of.
Sound like a fool is not the same as saying you are a fool.

Now on with the rest. Texas does not have the geography that CA has and so what. BTW the water skiing in Texas is a blast!

I am not sure why you feel you need to give me the break down on CA geography. I am well aware of it. It is the main reason I moved here However I would never retire in a state where my retirement would not go as far as other states. And if I win the lottery I am moving to the South of France

Now you are trying to claim that the western end of Texas is the only civilized part of the state? You're sounding like a fool again.

Anyway this is not a thread to compare CA geography with TX. This thread is about people leaving due to the increasing tax situation in CA.

TX hosts lower taxes which is why not only people but big businesses are leaving CA to start over in TX.

No one cares how much you hate TX. It would be nice if you would stay on topic and stop trying to turn this into a TX vs. CA hate thread.

And about the spelling...yes I admit I often times don't proof read after posting....especially when it is last and I am tired. Pretty petty but I'm sure it makes you feel bigger to point it out

Last edited by TVC15; 08-09-2012 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 01:54 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
A. They have exemptions in France, too
B. The U.S. prospered like crazy under high taxation prior to the Kennedy administration but the rate had gone up to 87% under Eisenhower and rose as high as 91% by the time Kennedy took office.
C. Kennedy's tax cuts dropped the top bracket back down to 70% ... only 5% less than what France is now proposing.
D. U.S. top bracket rate is now pushing only upper 30's%

So, if Kennedy was right, then we should have top tax rates nearly double what we have now.
Case closed.

interesting analysis of effects of tax cuts during those administrations here:
A Reaganite In Camelot?: The Partisan Battle Over JFK’s Tax-Cut Legacy | WBUR
Effect of the Reagan, Kennedy, and Bush Tax Cuts
No, unless the French Tax structure has at least the same deductions/exemptions that were in place when the tax rate was 70% or better yet the ones in effect when it was at 91%. When the rates went up bigger breaks went right with it, when they went down the breaks went down with it. AND we need the exact same services with the same % of money coming in and going out of the treasury as France. If the Gov't spend more and takes in less, the tax rate would still not be sufficient. Just making the taxes higher does not mean better services.

Uniquely, when Kennedy, and before him Eisenhower, was President, far more people were able to live on one income not two which is now the norm. Many factors apply and simply charging higher taxes to force some to give more and not stopping excessive spending will never fix the problem for anyone.

Remember the Rich Capitalists get their money from somewhere else, usually goods or services. When their costs go up, including personal taxes as well as business taxes, they pass the cost along to their customers, who are generally the middle class. This ends up in the middle class actually paying the tax increase for the Rich. Taxing the "Rich" sounds good to those who aren't "Rich", but it doesn't really work that way in the long run.

The middle class have most of the money and the Gov't knows that and wants it.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Thanks but I was not referring to SS or Military retirement. I was referring to this part of that link: All private, local, state and federal pensions are fully taxed.
I gotcha. Military retirement pay isn't tantamount to a federal pension. How COULD I have been so wrong? Why, whoever though that the U. S. military was an agency of the federal government anyway? And Social Security 'awards' aren't considered a form of pension. Who knew?

Do all Texans parse when not dealing from a position of strength?

Old 08-09-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
I had a good education in Texas but I doubt my children will, so I'm looking to move to California one day where this s--t doesn't happen.
If this is the reason you are moving here then you did not do your homework. TX and CA are almost neck in neck on the National Scores. Actually TX scores higher.

The Nation's Report Card: Reading 2011 report PDF

You can find more stats from this website http://nces.ed.gov/nationsreportcard...11/2012457.asp

Old 08-09-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I gotcha. Military retirement pay isn't tantamount to a federal pension. How COULD I have been so wrong? Why, whoever though that the U. S. military was an agency of the federal government anyway? And Social Security 'awards' aren't considered a form of pension. Who knew?

Do all Texans parse when not dealing from a position of strength?
Hey now back off The average person retiring is not a military disability retiree or a military retiree period. Anything in the form of income such as investments or rental property etc. will be fully taxed in CA after retirement.

I have made the statement that your money as a retiree will go a lot further in TX then in CA due to a much lower tax structure as many other states also offer. That is a fact. Get out your calculator and figure it out. I thought this was one of the reasons that you left CA as a retiree?

Last edited by TVC15; 08-09-2012 at 02:38 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 02:35 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,489,025 times
Quote:
Hey now back off

I have made the statement that your money as a retiree will go a lot further in TX then in CA due to a much lower tax structure as many other states also offer. That is a fact. Get out your calculator and figure it out. I thought this was one of the reasons that you left CA as a retiree?
Calculator? I don' need no stinkin' calculator. I still got my abacus and slip stick!

It was a part of it but by no means all of it. There was much more involved, principally our disdain for the state's governance, or lack thereof.

You will no doubt notice we did NOT move to Texas. Compliments of Uncle Sam we've both lived there more than once and once was more than enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California