Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 01:18 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,315,772 times

Advertisements

LOL I have a client who is a very successful rancher. He raises Wagyu cattle. We are on the opposite sides of the political spectrum. It doesn't stop us from being friends and having spirited (sometimes) debates. Today he told me that he "Would rather lose money than pay taxes".

I loved it.

So, we come in all sizes and shapes and all sorts of political leanings. One can see the government as a source of evil and be on the far ends of the political dialog and agree on at least that.

But I did pause to ask him about the great "I did it myself and nobody helped me" controversy. Is paying taxes such an anathema that a very smart business person would actually lose money rather than be taxed on his profitable business? There are some pretty large tax breaks when it comes to farm income. Is his business profitable because of those? Is he able to write off enough where he doesn't actually pay taxes even though his cash flow is positive?

I really don't know and I actually don't care, but I find it fascinating on so many levels; The first being we are pretty good friends; The second being he has downed so much "taxes" koolaid that he would (or could) make a statement like he did and then spend a fair amount of energy defending it, and how earnest he was doing so. That in the end, it really doesn't matter, the political system is so corrupt, that the idea of fairness probably left the building in the 1950's.

He still owes me a couple of Wagyu steaks from the ranch I sold him a few years ago too!

Old 08-08-2012, 06:31 AM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Immigrants with money. Come on down! It will be a nice change from the norm.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:22 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,687,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Really when anyone says hey raising taxes IS NOT THE SOLUTON then you yell LEAVE! Now you are denigrating those who are leaving for the very same thing that those whom are staying who see hope but with much needed change...but you yell LEAVE to them since all if just fine and dandy...NICE

I will say it again loud and clear. INCREASING TAXES IS THE WRONG WAY TO GO! AUSTERIETY IS THE WAY FOR CA TO GO!
Quote:
I am writing very clearly but you fail to understand since it does not fit your mould.

That poster did not back off one bit but added a more clear insight. You just tweaked it to your liking as usual.
Actually, your first sentences are indeed incomprehensible, it may be that you are smarter than I with a better command of the english language, but perhaps for my benefit you could explain that statement? Austerity not Austeriety.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:39 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
Quote:
Figure it out...I wrote clearly.

About the welfare poster. She did not back off. She reiterated in a much kinder manner...which did not take away from the fact that the welfare system is corrupt and needs an overhaul. The things you focused on from her post were not my focus. The real issues were my focus and they should be yours as well unless you are a taker yourself.
She did back off. Go back and read.

You are "hijacking" the topic of this thread by switching to one of your favorite topics to bash: welfare.
You are also making declarations without substantiating them ... please substantiate:
Quote:
...the welfare system is corrupt and needs an overhaul...
... give us some actual facts, figures, studies that demonstrate the depth of the problem as a threat and then please correlate to the topic by explaining the relationship of welfare fraud and high-taxation to people desiring -- or not -- to move to California because of them. It is a stretch but I think it can be tied together. What is your take on that relationship?

Since my issues do not jibe with yours, then I am one of the "taker" cheerleaders you refer to?
Please explain how I have been a "taker" in my life. Identify my traits and history that classify me as a taker. In what ways have I lived off your money [for doing nothing]?

Thanks ...

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Holy hell, can you guys (TVC15 and nullgeo) take that argument to PM?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:15 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
LOL I have a client who is a very successful rancher. He raises Wagyu cattle. We are on the opposite sides of the political spectrum. It doesn't stop us from being friends and having spirited (sometimes) debates. Today he told me that he "Would rather lose money than pay taxes".

I loved it.

So, we come in all sizes and shapes and all sorts of political leanings. One can see the government as a source of evil and be on the far ends of the political dialog and agree on at least that.

But I did pause to ask him about the great "I did it myself and nobody helped me" controversy. Is paying taxes such an anathema that a very smart business person would actually lose money rather than be taxed on his profitable business? There are some pretty large tax breaks when it comes to farm income. Is his business profitable because of those? Is he able to write off enough where he doesn't actually pay taxes even though his cash flow is positive?

I really don't know and I actually don't care, but I find it fascinating on so many levels; The first being we are pretty good friends; The second being he has downed so much "taxes" koolaid that he would (or could) make a statement like he did and then spend a fair amount of energy defending it, and how earnest he was doing so. That in the end, it really doesn't matter, the political system is so corrupt, that the idea of fairness probably left the building in the 1950's.

He still owes me a couple of Wagyu steaks from the ranch I sold him a few years ago too!
You need to collect on that before he moves to Texas. LOL

Old 08-08-2012, 11:20 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,901,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Somebody twisting your arm to read ?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:32 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Somebody twisting your arm to read ?
Nope, just makes me laugh how obnoxious you came off trying to spin my posts into "off topic" and "unrelated to your original post", when you spent the last two pages debating about something completely unrelated.

Its okay though, the internet (especially forums) cannot be taken too seriously, and those that do need to reevaluate their priorities. I will take a second to thank you though, your attempts to insult and talk down to me have provided excellent entertainment, while I worry increasing my own worth and do my best to better society on my own (yes, something that can be done without the aide of our all knowing government).

Old 08-08-2012, 12:32 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Actually, your first sentences are indeed incomprehensible, it may be that you are smarter than I with a better command of the english language, but perhaps for my benefit you could explain that statement? Austerity not Austeriety.
Thanks!

Yes Austerity is the direction CA needs to go. So they won't have to continue to use gimmicks to try and sway us to agree to increased taxes.

Or to pay for the out of control pensions! California Dreaming > Publications > State Budget Solutions

Old 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,450,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
I just quit reading and responding to it when the foaming at the mouth rant kicks in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California