Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 02:44 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,444,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Calculator? I don' need no stinkin' calculator. I still got my abacus and slip stick!

It was a part of it but by no means all of it. There was much more involved, principally our disdain for the state's governance, or lack thereof.

You will no doubt notice we did NOT move to Texas. Compliments of Uncle Sam we've both lived there more than once and once was more than enough.
I know that you lived in TX but you lived in the most remote and ugly area on a military base...if my memory serves me. I am thankful that I grew up in Houston which at the time was the 4th largest city in the US (now it is the 3rd). I am certain that our experiences were as opposite as they can get. If my only experience was what you experienced than I would not be a fan of Texas either.

BTW upon retirement in CA you are also taxed on all investments such as your 401K and anything considered income.

CA is the most unfriendly state tax wise towards retirees.

Last edited by TVC15; 08-09-2012 at 03:00 PM..

Old 08-09-2012, 03:03 PM

1,664 posts, read 3,955,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Keep in mind too, that on an income of $100,000 per year, your total tax burden in CA will be $10,600, and in the lowest tax states it will be around $7-7500. Not much a difference, and if someone told me it would cost me an extra $4,000 bucks a year not to have to live in Texas, or Florida, or Missouri etc, I would consider that money well spent.
I believe the $4000/year could be thought of as a sunshine/weather tax. I have lived in many locales around these United States. California is pretty darn perfect. People are, by and large decent and easy to get along with. I do think our State gummint stinks. But, we can keep the locals pols in line to suit our needs.

Yes, it is pretty cheap to live in say, North Las Vegas, but yesterday a friend told me it was 109 F outside and soon to go to 111 F. I was glad she was inside as i believe phones begin to melt at 110F.

I hate to be labled as California Pollyanna but so be it. I do love the offerings in this State!

Old 08-09-2012, 03:06 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
I know that you lived in TX but you lived in the most remote and ugly area on a military base...if my memory serves me. I am thankful that I grew up in Houston which at the time was the 4th largest city in the US (now it is the 3rd). I am certain that our experiences were as opposite as they can get. If my only experience was what you experienced than I would not be a fan of Texas either.

BTW upon retirement in CA you are also taxed on all investments such as your 401K and anything considered income.

CA is the most unfriendly state tax wise towards retirees.
But of course. Yur a Texan!

CA ain't real friendly and issues like SB 249 and other inanities make us real glad we moved elsewhere.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:07 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
The folks I still keep in contact with moved to Oregon, Nevada and Arizona with one couple each to Idaho and Washington.

Each mentioned lower cost of living as the deciding factor...

Those that planned to move and were actively home shopping stayed because they want to be near family.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:09 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
So you will move to a low tax state? That is fine, will you live in a city? Well then it matters not where you live, all cities are about the same. But, if the countryside, or rural lands interest you, remember the heat and humidity east of the 100th meridian can take the starch right out of your shirts.

Keep in mind too, that on an income of $100,000 per year, your total tax burden in CA will be $10,600, and in the lowest tax states it will be around $7-7500. Not much a difference, and if someone told me it would cost me an extra $4,000 bucks a year not to have to live in Texas, or Florida, or Missouri etc, I would consider that money well spent.
Your total tax burden depends on several factors. You can't just make a blanket statement and say if you make 100K then you pay this in taxes. Many variables need to be considered.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:18 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,679,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Sound like a fool is not the same as saying you are a fool.

Now on with the rest. Texas does not have the geography that CA has and so what. BTW the water skiing in Texas is a blast!

Water skiing in Texas is about the same as water skiing anywhere else, and who water skis anymore? The cool people wake board. If one could water ski behind a jet boat going up the Colorado or the Snake I might be interested. Flat water gets boring in about 2.5 seconds.

I am not sure why you feel you need to give me the break down on CA geography. I am well aware of it. It is the main reason I moved here However I would never retire in a state where my retirement would not go as far as other states. And if I win the lottery I am moving to the South of France

Geography is why we are what we are, you cannot separate geography from society.

Now you are trying to claim that the western end of Texas is the only civilized part of the state? You're sounding like a fool again.

As Reagan said, "there you go again". Apparently to you civilization requires humans mashed together like rats in a Maze. I guess if I wanted to be snarky I could say you sound like a city boy. Daniel Boone had it about right, 'if you can see the smoke from your neighbors chimney the neighborhood is too crowded" West Texas has Big Bend, and the Guadalupe Mountains, and the Llano Estacado. The only decent real estate in the state lies west of the 100th Meridian.

Anyway this is not a thread to compare CA geography with TX. This thread is about people leaving due to the increasing tax situation in CA.

Total Tax Burden in Texas 7.9% Total Tax Burden in CA is 10.6%. A 2.7% difference in Total Tax Burden is not much of a reason to leave good geography for bad geography. Think about this, Texas has about 367 miles of coastline. How many natural harbors?

TX hosts lower taxes which is why not only people but big businesses are leaving CA to start over in TX.

I have no problem with encouraging people to leave California, I encourage all who even think about it to do so. There are 62 paved roads that leave the state, setting up a lawn chair, drinking a few beers and watching cars and trucks with mattresses tied on top, heading east, or south, or north, is a hobby I would like to acquire, but lets be honest, these departures are not based on actual tax structures.

No one cares how much you hate TX. It would be nice if you would stay on topic and stop trying to turn this into a TX vs. CA hate thread.

I don't hate Texas, I don't even think about Texas except when people try to pass it off as a place worth living. I don't even rank California #1 on my favorite states to live in, but, to deny that it is a far far better place than Texas would be dishonest, unless of course, one is indeed a city boy or girl, then it makes no difference where one lives.

And about the spelling...yes I admit I often times don't proof read after posting....especially when it is last and I am tired. Pretty petty but I'm sure it makes you feel bigger to point it out

Looking at the little red underlines is not a difficult task, You have made a number of statements regarding, say, taxes, in which you want us to accept that you have a high level of knowledge on taxes, or medical care etc. Which is fun, but, anyone who wants their information accepted as accurate should at least spell the darned stuff right. If I wrote a text on cadastral surveying and it was full of spelling errors, how hopeful should I be that it will sell lots of copies?

Old 08-09-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:
It's OK calm down. Yep sounds like you have never slalom skied.

Tax burdens vary depending on a number of factors including income level, jurisdiction, and current tax rates. Income tax burdens are typically satisfied by deductions from an individual’s paycheck each time he or she is paid. Depending on the amount of allowances claimed by the individual, a tax burden may exceed the total amount of money deducted during the taxable period.

Your blanket tax burden statement is not accurate or correct.

Old 08-09-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Currently those cities are conservative San Bernardino, Stockton, and Mammoth Lakes; all in reliable Red counties for California. It's ironic conservatives are bashing California for this since these are conservative cities in conservative counties! It will only be bankrupt when Los Angeles and San Francisco, the economic engines of the Western United States (and California's liberal coastal areas where the majority live in), go bankrupt.

San Bernardino and Stockton are usually last chances for people to live in California or a place for people to start, so I'm not surprised that they took the economic brunt. The aftermath of the housing crisis might well turn the traditionally red inland areas into blue--a death knell for the CA Republican Party.
If you are referring to me as the conservative that is bashing CA:

1. I am not a conservative and have never voted for a Republican in my entire 30 years of voting I grew up in a very liberal city...but not the type of liberal beliefs that ruin a city economically.

2. Pointing out CA's economic woes is not bashing the state.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:55 PM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
A lot of chatter here about how the wealthy and businesses are "leaving California in droves" due to taxes. "Vote HELL NO!" etc etc etc ... "only the low income will be left behind" ... etc etc etc.

Think so?

Wealthy French entrepreneurs are preparing to leave France if the new proposed rate there takes effect. Read the article. Any whining sound familiar? Point being: there are a LOT of folks who would love opportunity to move to California. Chinese wealthy by the boatload, too.

Go ahead and get out, whiners. Unfortunately, there will always be many to take your places. Look at the international tax rates on the sidebar chart. Read a bit about the financial / tax attorneys who work advising Europe's rich.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/08/bu...pagewanted=all
What is the point of your statement? Are you saying people who decide to leave California will leave some sort of opening for "others" to take our place? How ludicrous. These "other" people will come to California no matter what we do and they are ... especially people illegal aliens who have a oppratunity to come to California and live off the tax payers for food, shelter, medical and education ... including free college with the dream act which is all paid by hard working tax payers who can't even affort to send their own kids to college. California is becoming a crime ridden cesspool under the control of extreme corrupt politicians who are selling out the true Californian citizens.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:56 AM

510 posts, read 430,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Funny. Most of the greatest sustainable, real growth and development of this country occurred during periods when the highest tax bracket here was higher than what France is proposing now.

Just sayin'
What's funny is that you believe people actually paid a 90% rate back in the day. That may have been the technical rate but there were a TON more legal loopholes and shelters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California