Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:26 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Wait a minute New. You're kidding, right? Vendors and retailers can charge, discount, and do any kind of promotions they want. They can give the bags to customers for free or charge $25.00 a bag if they so desire. They can promote themselves by advertising "free bags with purchase of corn dog" or "our customers a worth a free bag" or or or or ... If they want to pay a customer's bag fee they can.
No, I wasn't kidding, and they can't do what you propose unless they want to pay fines.

On Monday, the city’s checkout ordinance ban signed into law in February takes effect, banning plastic bags at all retail stores and imposing a 10-cent charge for all other bags handed out by the store. Next October, the ban will extend to restaurants too.

A 2007 law prohibits large grocery stores and chain pharmacies from using plastic bags, but did not require them to charge a fee for giving away other bags.

Expanded plastic bag ban takes effect Monday | City Insider | an SFGate.com blog

Anonymously report stores that are not compliant and not charging for checkout bags with our San Francisco Bag Ordinance Non-Compliance Report Form. SF Environment will follow-up with the business.

http://www.sfenvironment.org/article...-bag-ordinance

(a) Any person who violates this Ordinance shall be guilty of an infraction. If charged as an infraction, upon conviction thereof, said person shall be punished by

(1) a fine not exceeding $100.00 for a first violation,

(2) a fine not exceeding $200.00 for a second violation within the same year, and

(3) a fine not exceeding $500.00 for each additional violation within the same year.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.d...anfrancisco_ca

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-19-2013 at 07:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
No, I wasn't kidding, and they can't do what you propose unless they want to pay fines.

On Monday, the city’s checkout ordinance ban signed into law in February takes effect, banning plastic bags at all retail stores and imposing a 10-cent charge for all other bags handed out by the store. Next October, the ban will extend to restaurants too.

A 2007 law prohibits large grocery stores and chain pharmacies from using plastic bags, but did not require them to charge a fee for giving away other bags.

Expanded plastic bag ban takes effect Monday | City Insider | an SFGate.com blog

Anonymously report stores that are not compliant and not charging for checkout bags with our San Francisco Bag Ordinance Non-Compliance Report Form. SF Environment will follow-up with the business.

Checkout Bag Ordinance | sfenvironment.org - Our Home. Our City. Our Planet

(a) Any person who violates this Ordinance shall be guilty of an infraction. If charged as an infraction, upon conviction thereof, said person shall be punished by

(1) a fine not exceeding $100.00 for a first violation,

(2) a fine not exceeding $200.00 for a second violation within the same year, and

(3) a fine not exceeding $500.00 for each additional violation within the same year.

American Legal Publishing - Online Library
I repeat: retailers can run any kind of campaign they want to offset this fee ... i.e.: "for every bag of groceries you buy at Ralph's, we'll pay you $0.10 off your total purchase."

There are any number of ways retailers can compensate the charge. Never been in retail business? I have.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:11 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Wait a minute New. You're kidding, right? Vendors and retailers can charge, discount, and do any kind of promotions they want. They can give the bags to customers for free or charge $25.00 a bag if they so desire. They can promote themselves by advertising "free bags with purchase of corn dog" or "our customers a worth a free bag" or or or or ... If they want to pay a customer's bag fee they can.
Actually the charge for the bags is mandatory, it's like a tax.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I repeat: retailers can run any kind of campaign they want to offset this fee ... i.e.: "for every bag of groceries you buy at Ralph's, we'll pay you $0.10 off your total purchase."

There are any number of ways retailers can compensate the charge. Never been in retail business? I have.
Good point.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Actually the charge for the bags is mandatory, it's like a tax.
Did you ever see a sales event / campaign / pitch that says: "No sales tax!" or "We pay the tax!"?

Is there no sales tax? Nope. The retailer is paying it. The tax is calculated, printed on the receipt, and refunded as a promotional discount. $0.10 on a $50 or $60 dollar bag of groceries .... Phbbbbt ... If a retailer thinks there's an advertising / P.R. / customer relations benefit to paying the charge, they'll give up $0.10 in a half a heartbeat.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:39 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
But they shouldn't, that is just another government decision. Instead, they should allow the vendors or retailers decide if they want to charge for paper bags and if so, how much.
Why shouldn't they? To not charge totally defeates the purpose.
I find it fitting. What is the point of putting a ban on single use plastic bags and then offering free bags of some other material? The whole purpose of the ban is not only to get rid of these bags from our lives but also to reduce our consumption of things we do not need to consume at the rate we are consuming them.
.10 is a small incentive to get people to remember to bring their own bags.
This ban will actually save everyone money in the long run. People think we got out bags for free, but that's not true. The cost is dispersed across the price of other goods. Small businesses will for sure save by not having to purchase a small number of bags at a higher price.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:11 PM

3,247 posts, read 6,305,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Small businesses will for sure save by not having to purchase a small number of bags at a higher price.
They will lose money and sales! I drive out of SF to Pacifica, Daly City, San Bruno or SSF for shopping instead of shopping in SF.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
They will lose money and sales! I drive out of SF to Pacifica, Daly City, San Bruno or SSF for shopping instead of shopping in SF.
They're only losing your money. I work in SF and sometimes do stuff for a few retail stores rarely. They're business is fine. Most people pay the few extra cents for the bags rather than the few extra dollars for the gas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California