Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Well stay away from those bags if you want to stay good ... just saying ...
I also do not get sick ... then again I don't use "those bags" ...
Can't imagine why a study a continent away knew about it when those of us HERE didn't. What's more amazing is how those with questionable motives (among other things) believe they can convince someone that they somehow are completely unaware of their surroundings. Unbelievable I tell ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 12:25 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post

Large numbers of bacteria were found in almost all bags and coliform bacteria in half. Escherichia coli were identified in 12% of the bags and a wide range of enteric bacteria, including several opportunistic pathogens. When meat juices were added to bags and stored in the trunks of cars for two hours the number of bacteria increased 10-fold indicating the potential for bacterial growth in the bags.

http://www.llu.edu/assets/publicheal...s-bacteria.pdf
So whaddaya do? Wash yer danged bags!

Old 02-16-2013, 12:55 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Leland Yee is already drafting a bill to ban e. coli.
I'm a little late to the party, but this is absolutely hilarious! lol

Old 02-16-2013, 12:57 AM

1,548 posts, read 3,035,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I wonder what percentage of environuts pushing the bag bans are also vegetarians.
Not always a direct correlation. I'm proof of that.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
All right ... except you still haven't explained how people are being "dismissive". Respondents here are, well, responding. Some responded that your study seems mysteriously unsupported. Maybe it is maybe it ain't I dunno I ain't studied it one way or the other. You are of the opinion it is legitimate, yet it stands rather alone so far ... you haven't provided any additional coverage (of the same study) to verify its sourcing. But good you are citing a different study (from Loma Linda) that has similar viewpoint to share.

Nonetheless, there isn't anything overly "dismissive" in what I read from posters making suggestions as to how to safely use alternates to throw-away plastic bags.

Also, with regard to the Loma Linda study: news flash, huh ... there's bacteria everywhere ... especially quickly multiplying around dead meats. That's sort of an obvious reason why one should always extra wrap meats and wash up wherever they contact. Humanity has existed with carrying food stuffs around for how many ten's of thousands of years before plastic bags? Now I suppose you will suggest that food borne illnesses were devastatingly rampant in days of old, but actually that's not true of ancient times ... among other reasons, people didn't live with careless expectations with regard to food storage. Also, our guts used to harbor a lot more tolerance than today -- before we became obsessively anti-"germs"!

Our bodies are a mass of bacteria mostly peacefully co-existing, symbiotically ... modern phobias have vilified that symbiotic wonder and the result is we have dangerously low tolerances today
Bingo!!!

Old 02-16-2013, 09:34 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,677,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar42 View Post
MYTH: "Over 100 thousand marine animals die from becoming tangled in discarded plastic bags each year."

TRUTH: The report that this myth was based on (a Canadian study from 1987) didn't mention plastic bags at all. In 2002 the Australian Government commissioned a study on plastic bags, and the authors misquoted the 1987 study. What the original study found was that between 1981 and 1984 over 100 thousand marine mammals and birds were killed by being caught in discarded fishing nets and lines.

Furthermore, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) has stated that it is unable to find studies to support many of the statements that assert plastic bags cause harm to marine wildlife and that many quotes about plastic marine debris are false, unproven or exaggerated.

Plastic Bag Myths | American Plastic Manufacturing
What I said was that thousands of animals die from eating plastic. I said nothing about deaths from entanglement. What I stated is not a myth. Birds and other wildlife are dying becaue of plastic.

HowStuffWorks "The Problem with Plastic"

Old 02-16-2013, 12:49 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,016,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
What I said was that thousands of animals die from eating plastic. I said nothing about deaths from entanglement. What I stated is not a myth. Birds and other wildlife are dying becaue of plastic.
This is a thread about plastic bags and the link I provided states there is very little evidence that supports plastic bags are killing wildlife....

Old 02-16-2013, 01:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
This is a thread about plastic bags and the link I provided states there is very little evidence that supports plastic bags are killing wildlife....
And the poster OwlKaMyst just linked a report on how "PLASTIC" breaks down into pieces, which are then ingested by myriad creatures to their detriment -- including death. Now, I all caps'd PLASTIC for a reason ... guess why ... think: PLASTIC bags, and it'll come to you ... I hope.

Old 02-16-2013, 01:01 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
As I have said to others before, volunteer at a wildlife rescue center then come back and be honest with us.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:08 PM

880 posts, read 1,416,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
As I have said to others before, volunteer at a wildlife rescue center then come back and be honest with us.
I suspects that banning bags is an easy push as it seems to be an idea no one is going to get all upset about. Makes the advocates feel good too.

However far more animals are killed by cars, so lets ban all cars. Nuts just walk, it is good for your health, non polluting and we get to talk to each other. Oh and cats kill millions of birds, so ... lets ban cats.

Wait think what concrete does to natural habitats so lets .... Get the idea?

Some will say lets start somewhere. OK, what kills more animals and people than anything else? Hint, it ain't plastic bags.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California