Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:09 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,319,080 times

Advertisements

A new study has found that life results in death 100% of the time.

Darned if I can find the link to the study though. You'll have to take this one on faith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 06:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
A new study has found that life results in death 100% of the time.

Darned if I can find the link to the study though. You'll have to take this one on faith.
Yes I've heard that. I am trying to find a link to the study that says night follows the day LOL

Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 PM

880 posts, read 1,416,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
I will give you that... Sorry..
No problem.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:05 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,693,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Yes I've heard that. I am trying to find a link to the study that says night follows the day LOL
Recycler here, but one of my favorites ( "correlation does not imply causation") is that 100% of the people who ate tomatoes in 1700 are now dead.

Sidenote: Or, so we assume.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:07 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,153,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Humans are fouling the natural environment far faster than trees can be grown to replace the felled ones used for paper bags. Carbons emitted exceed the capacity of the carbon sink if we continue to accelerate deforestation, worldwide, which results in pollution and climate change.

Your own bag > paper bag > plastic bag.
Look at forest service data.... It is the contrary... Volume of forest stock is increasing.. Species grown for low grade paper are fast growing weed trees... High grade glossy paper a whole different story.

Educate yourself on it a bit... Very interesting when you dig in... Separate in your mind preserving old growth forests and the ecological diversity they hold from growing fast growing species like a crop of corn... The crop cycle is 40 to 70 years... Very sustainable and likely to grow faster as levels CO2 increase in the air...

We as humans do little unless we get something in return.... Yes it is important to preserve old growth forest with the biological diversity they contain... But we have millions and millions of acres of marginal land on which we can farm trees....

Look at it... In past warming periods in earths history the planet saw huge amounts of plant and tree growth.... This vast amount of vegetation locked up massive amounts of carbon and cooled the planet. (THose are today's hydrocarbons we pump up and burn putting them back in the atmosphere, hence warming the atmosphere again..)

I am 100% in favor of renewable forestry products.... I personally consider them one of the most green environmentally sound directions we can go... Get proactive promote wood based products...

Problem is many are stuck in the mindset of destroying ecologically diverse rain forest and so forth... That is a totally different subject and not related to farming trees....

The key here is to not let trees die fall and rot, that just released the carbon.(ie active carbon cycle).. The idea is to harvest and make a lasting durable product to lock the carbon up, no rotting or burning=no carbon release) .. Bio char is a good one, it improves soil nutrient retention and locks carbon at the same time...

With that said I take my own cloth bags to the grocery store... It would be nice to be able to buy a paper bag in case I forget to bring my own... Which happens a lot for me...

Ban plastic bags, get going on the carbon credit program like the ROW and lets get this party started....

Wood the high tec. GREEN product of the 21st century

Old 02-13-2013, 01:34 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,016,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
This should be a no brainer for anyone with the most rudimentary understanding of basic science.
Except that you're ignoring the energy inputs to manufacture the bags which ignores the "carbon footprint" involved in making them. Plastic bags take very little energy to make. I'm willing to bet paper bags take a lot more energy. And recycling paper requires an incredible amount of energy input. So to feel better about not throwing out plastic bags you're actually dumping a lot more CO2 into the atmosphere. BTW, garbage buried in landfills decomposes very slowly so I'm afraid you can't even claim that one for paper bags. Washing/drying reusable bags also uses energy so I'm afraid there's no easy solution to this "problem."

In theory corn ethanol in our fuel is great for our environment. In reality it's pretty terrible for it.

The Clean Energy Scam - TIME

Old 02-13-2013, 04:07 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,699,359 times
Portlandia _ No Grocery Bag - Video Dailymotion

Old 02-13-2013, 05:41 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Now, with my wonder memory I have managed to remember to take my bags into the supermarket about 4 times since the law went into effect.

The clerk and I put the groceries back into the cart, I wheel it to the truck, put the groceries in the truck, where the bags are, drive home, put the groceries into the bags take them into the house, put the bags back in the truck and forget to take them to the store next time, and...... the system works fine.

Everytime I express chagrin to the clerk about forgetting my bags I get told that lots of people don't use bags anymore.

I think folks are blowing the issue out of proportion.

Old 02-13-2013, 11:52 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,850,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Now, with my wonder memory I have managed to remember to take my bags into the supermarket about 4 times since the law went into effect.

The clerk and I put the groceries back into the cart, I wheel it to the truck, put the groceries in the truck, where the bags are, drive home, put the groceries into the bags take them into the house, put the bags back in the truck and forget to take them to the store next time, and...... the system works fine.

Everytime I express chagrin to the clerk about forgetting my bags I get told that lots of people don't use bags anymore.

I think folks are blowing the issue out of proportion.
Old habits are hard to break.

New habits are orders of magnitude harder to start.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:30 AM

26,748 posts, read 26,841,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
I... drive home, put the groceries into the bags take them into the house, put the bags back in the truck and forget to take them to the store next time, and..
They're in the back of your truck, aren't they? How do you forget them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California