Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 11:51 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times

Advertisements

MOD CUT

Quote:
I wonder what percentage of environuts pushing the bag bans are also vegetarians.
I personally am no vegetarian. I don't see why that would matter. Why does one have to be a vegetarian to support such a thing? What kind of a question is that?

Last edited by NewToCA; 02-11-2013 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Knock off the mod comments
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 11:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
MOD CUT

I personally am no vegetarian. I don't see why that would matter. Why does one have to be a vegetarian to support such a thing? What kind of a question is that?
Because they're usually the same group of people.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:31 AM

253 posts, read 349,152 times
Ok, ok...

Now that I'm able to control my fits of laughter about this "environmental conundrum"...

I have just a little experience in this arena, and... ...I must give some credit to "Gentoo"...

...this "published" paper appears to be an internal "U of Penn. Inst for Law & Econ Research Paper", actually No. 13-2.

These types of internal papers, in this case "published" at University of Pennsylvania Law School, where Johnathan Klick is a Professor of Law, do not face near the scrutiny of a paper say published in Nature, Science, Lancet, BJM, or a "standard journal" in a particular field of science. I this case, hopefully a few other Professors of Law reviewed the paper, but I wouldn't count on it. It is possible no epidemiologist, microbiologist, physician, basic scientist, or statistician even reviewed the data and conclusions. Often this type of "published" paper will be one bound copy hidden somewhere in the stacks of U. of Penn, and an electronic copy strewn across the infinite reaches of EM waves...

Regardless, I like the hypothesis, but I am not impressed with the sampling or statistical modeling. Hopefully, this pub will cultivate further research in this concern.

Here's the link to the .PDF if anyone wants to peruse...

Grocery Bag Bans and Foodborne Illness by Jonathan Klick, Joshua Wright :: SSRN

Old 02-11-2013, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reason42 View Post
Ok, ok...

Now that I'm able to control my fits of laughter about this "environmental conundrum"...

I have just a little experience in this arena, and... ...I must give some credit to "Gentoo"...

...this "published" paper appears to be an internal "U of Penn. Inst for Law & Econ Research Paper", actually No. 13-2.

These types of internal papers, in this case "published" at University of Pennsylvania Law School, where Johnathan Klick is a Professor of Law, do not face near the scrutiny of a paper say published in Nature, Science, Lancet, BJM, or a "standard journal" in a particular field of science. I this case, hopefully a few other Professors of Law reviewed the paper, but I wouldn't count on it. It is possible no epidemiologist, microbiologist, physician, basic scientist, or statistician even reviewed the data and conclusions. Often this type of "published" paper will be one bound copy hidden somewhere in the stacks of U. of Penn, and an electronic copy strewn across the infinite reaches of EM waves...

Regardless, I like the hypothesis, but I am not impressed with the sampling or statistical modeling. Hopefully, this pub will cultivate further research in this concern.

Here's the link to the .PDF if anyone wants to peruse...

Grocery Bag Bans and Foodborne Illness by Jonathan Klick, Joshua Wright :: SSRN
Thank you sir

Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 AM

1,981 posts, read 3,151,872 times
Don't even know where to start with the stupidity of this study...

This has been done in Europe for decades. NO problems without big thick bags for groceries.... (Duh, we are not talking wrapping meat here folks....)
OR
Possibly it is the greedy money hungry growers and processors who willingly throw the environment out the window to line their pockets with dirty money? These very same factory farmers who pump livestock full of antibiotics and raise them in intense packed feed lots.... The meat is sick and contaminated to begin with...! The stuff is shipped around the world and sits and should be rotten if they did not add preservatives, radiate it and so forth....

Our industrial food is crap. That is part of the problem..

Old 02-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTimbers View Post
Don't even know where to start with the stupidity of this study...

This has been done in Europe for decades. NO problems without big thick bags for groceries.... (Duh, we are not talking wrapping meat here folks....)
OR
Possibly it is the greedy money hungry growers and processors who willingly throw the environment out the window to line their pockets with dirty money? These very same factory farmers who pump livestock full of antibiotics and raise them in intense packed feed lots.... The meat is sick and contaminated to begin with...! The stuff is shipped around the world and sits and should be rotten if they did not add preservatives, radiate it and so forth....

Our industrial food is crap. That is part of the problem..
Others can do it with no problems but we can't. Think we can see why right here in this thread.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:13 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Maybe if the environuts weren't so fanatical, they'd be open to the idea of disposable bags for things like meat or produce.
Huh, I just bought some chicken, and put it in the handy disposable plastic bag hanging at the meat counter., then I bought some grapes, in a handy disposable plastic bag.

For those who support plastic bags, remember they are with us forever.

There are folks in the midwest that outfit themselves with poles and grippers etc to pull plastic bags out of trees after floods, by the thousands.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Huh, I just bought some chicken, and put it in the handy disposable plastic bag hanging at the meat counter., then I bought some grapes, in a handy disposable plastic bag.

For those who support plastic bags, remember they are with us forever.

There are folks in the midwest that outfit themselves with poles and grippers etc to pull plastic bags out of trees after floods, by the thousands.
So did I and about to go pick up some sirloins. Funny how some stereotypes are. I know plenty of vegan raw foodist who could care less about protecting the environment too.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:58 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200RT View Post
Double wrap meat with what? More plastic?

Wash your bags with what? Water and detergent? Seems wasteful.

What problem solved?
Wash your bags in the regular laundry. You do wash your cloths, right?

smaller, lighter bags. less plastic.
Yes I am aware of some contradictions

The big issue with a lot of you people is that you see it as another layer of government intrusion.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:00 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Leland Yee is already drafting a bill to ban e. coli.
Ahhh these Cali legislators are just wonderful aren't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California