Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2013, 11:23 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,905,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Oh yeah, used to keep my boat in Anacortes and go ''gunkholing'' all over up there (also great place for crabbing, right)?! And yes, ''banana belt'' is strictly a relative term, though it was always pretty cool to drive up from Seattle on a rainy overcast day and right around mid-Whidbey, it would literally be like suddenly passing thru a ''curtain'' into clear skies! Sure there are micro-climates here, but nuthin' like that! Although I always pitied those poor SOB's in Bellingham where all that rain got diverted to. But that's the one thing I do miss in CA, is lotsa easily-accessible islands to explore!!
Ha! You exhibit a classic NW condition: northwesterners are so immersed in gray -- damp, wet gray -- that the slightest sliver of blue qualifies for taking the afternoon off, rolling all available mobile tee-vee news units to a suitable location for a video shot, writing an article for the chamber of commerce touting the amazing days of sunshine in "the hole", etc. Mid-Whidbey is right in the hole at Coupeville, all right, but those blue glimpses don't amount to much relative to any idea of blue and sun people from normal climates have ... especially in the notably colder temps of Coupeville and the persistent high winds whipping the chill off the Sound waters.

The Sequim Chamber of Commerce are the biggest liars of all, of course. Bellingham, btw, isn't so bad for rain, though it gets hit with the worst winter weather including snows and freezes. The worst hit for the rain is a toss up between south Sound and the Snohomish convergence zone just north of Seattle. Well, the Cascade foothills east of Bellingham is worse yet. That's probably what you are thinking when you say Bellingham. Mt. Baker, just to the east there, of course gets the lower 48's highest snowfalls for that reason.

But re: the islands and gunkholing -- right you are! There is nothing to compare in California. If there was a similar Sound with Puget's ambiance, combined with California coastal weather -- it would likely be the most expensive real estate in the world ... you couldn't even afford a one night dream of living there. It's the weather that keeps the San Juan's semi-saved and sane. Catalina just doesn't even rate. Although I give honorable mention to the Delta waterways where Tulemutt lurks. But nah, not in the same league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 11:25 PM

12 posts, read 23,926 times
Gorgeous day today. No, I do not get sick of this awesome weather.

Old 03-10-2013, 11:47 PM

19,223 posts, read 16,723,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
No no no ... Hiding out in Hawaii at the moment. Been here since mid-November. Watching the weather shift favorably for my soon return to Moss Landing and kayaking in the estuary. When the Central Coast is firmly in the mid-60's and low 70's, I'm there! Until the NW catches up. Fickle basta*d, ain't I?
I'd say you're livin' the good life, mister! Picking up and leave when the weather doesn't suit you? Can it get any better than that???? I like Spring and Fall weather here (on Mars) and winter isn't horrible but stifling summer heat and poor air quality? Pfffft

Old 03-11-2013, 05:56 PM

541 posts, read 913,609 times
My brother lives in Kaimuki.

Its been a ****ty March he said. Raining a lot, and the vog too.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:58 PM

6,802 posts, read 6,720,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
My brother lives in Kaimuki.

Its been a ****ty March he said. Raining a lot, and the vog too.
Well, the only thing worse than vog is sandy vog...

Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,404,948 times
I lived in Cali for 4 years.

The weather annoyed me.
Little variation, never really hot enough to enjoy the pool (always had to acclimate to the cold water) or ocean, no real thunderstorms...as someone who grew up on the equator and now lives somewhere we actually get cold/snow in the winter, I have to say that southern Cali weather cheezed me off.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I lived in Cali for 4 years.

The weather annoyed me.
Little variation, never really hot enough to enjoy the pool (always had to acclimate to the cold water) or ocean, no real thunderstorms...as someone who grew up on the equator and now lives somewhere we actually get cold/snow in the winter, I have to say that southern Cali weather cheezed me off.
Never had that problem here.

I have heard that some rich pansies on the coast heat their pools though.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:34 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,851,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senno View Post
Never had that problem here.

I have heard that some rich pansies on the coast heat their pools though.
Pool? Nah, they don't use 'em. Hot tub only, infrequently.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:35 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
did u say do i miss chicago? LOL.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Pool? Nah, they don't use 'em. Hot tub only, infrequently.
I thought infinity pools were the hot thing for those living the good life.

OneRepublic - Good Life + Lyrics (NEW SONGS) - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California