Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:10 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,639,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
If it was regulation that kept Tesla out of California, not the extra 750 million that NV offered, then explain why Tesla choose Arizona, Texas or New Mexico? It will be difficult for you because the only real answer is that they sold out to the highest bidder- Nevada. California had announced to Tesla that they would change the regulatory process for them, so I think that is a non-issue.
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but if regulation is not an issue, as you have been arguing, why did it have to be waved? How many businesses do not have the muscle and pull Musk has in order to get regulations waved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 01:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
Because Tesla announced the NV deal In September, 2014

Nevada Selected As Official Site for Tesla Battery Gigafactory | Tesla Motors

when the bill was still alive

Bill History

And by all means, let's deregulate to lure Yucca Mountain business while we're at it.
So the legislative process was so slow that it couldn't get the bill out of committee in the months between the announcement of California being over regulated and when the decision was made.

You are making my point for me.

You realize that their is a regulation point between where we are now and storing nuclear waste right?

Old 09-11-2015, 01:14 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyinCali View Post
I don't really have a dog in this fight, but if regulation is not an issue, as you have been arguing, why did it have to be waved? How many businesses do not have the muscle and pull Musk has in order to get regulations waved?
This might prove useful in answering your first question: Tesla 'gigafactory': Will California waive environmental laws to get it? - CSMonitor.com Regarding your second question- you probably should ask that of your state legislative reps rather than me.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:21 PM

53 posts, read 51,807 times
Quote:
It came down to:

CA: $500 million incentives + waived regulations
vs.
NV: $1.25 billion incentives

Suffice to say, Musk didn't think the waived regulations would be worth more than an extra 750 million in incentives. When you consider that Tesla's total annual revenue last year was 3.2 billion, the choice is pretty clear which is the better deal.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 5,566,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So the legislative process was so slow that it couldn't get the bill out of committee in the months between the announcement of California being over regulated and when the decision was made.

You are making my point for me.
No. Your specific lazy, cynical, point was the bill was never going to pass. After getting called on it, you are intentionally confusing regulatory burden with legislative deliberation.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nslander View Post
No. Your specific lazy, cynical, point was the bill was never going to pass. After getting called on it, you are intentionally confusing regulatory burden with legislative deliberation.
Has the bill passed and they just forgot to update the website?

No it hasn't.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyChrono View Post
It came down to:

CA: $500 million incentives + waived regulations
vs.
NV: $1.25 billion incentives

Suffice to say, Musk didn't think the waived regulations would be worth more than an extra 750 million in incentives. When you consider that Tesla's total annual revenue last year was 3.2 billion, the choice is pretty clear which is the better deal.
Not exactly

CA: $500 million incentives + a bill that never made it out of committee to waive regulations with a very small chance of actually passing and getting signed by the governor who has a history of in acting draconian environmental regulation.

Needing to waive overly burdensome regulations is exactly my point. The overly burdensome regulations kept it from happening, if they were not in existence in the first place then the state wouldn't have overly burdensome regulations negating the need to actually waive them.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:53 PM

53 posts, read 51,807 times
Quote:
Not exactly

CA: $500 million incentives + a bill that never made it out of committee to waive regulations with a very small chance of actually passing and getting signed by the governor who has a history of in acting draconian environmental regulation.

Needing to waive overly burdensome regulations is exactly my point. The overly burdensome regulations kept it from happening, if they were not in existence in the first place then the state wouldn't have overly burdensome regulations negating the need to actually waive them.
Assume for a second that California had no regulations at all to waive. Then it would have come down to CA: $500 million vs NV: $1.25 billion and that's not a very hard choice. I understand wanting to tone-down some of these regs, but blaming the Tesla deal on them is a pretty big stretch.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:55 PM

Quote:
That's a false assumption. Nobody has suggested locals regs are never one consideration to a business decision. A state the with population and density of CA and whose wealth is notoriously tied up in property values is going to have enviro red-tape than a place like NV. But in THIS instance, there is no evidence to conclude it was THE reason.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Has the bill passed and they just forgot to update the website?

No it hasn't.
Are you expecting the lege to pick up the vote on a resolution to enter into WWII as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California