Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2017, 10:11 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Have you ever been to Arkansas or to the Ozarks for that matter? My late wife and I are both California natives and made the decision to move from CA about 10 years ago and did so when we retired eight years ago. We live five miles as the crow flies from the Arkansas border and this is beautiful land, full of nature. No regrets. If you love the outdoors, the Ozarks are a virtual paradise. Don't dismiss out-of-hand a place you've likely never been or if you have, didn't fully take in or permit yourself to appreciate.
Arm chair commandos are know it alls that know everything about every state without ever visiting there. I'd like to keep it that way because too many of them would change their minds if they actually did visit.

Arkansas rocks! One of the most beautiful States I've even been through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 01:11 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizensadvocate View Post
While I don't care much about gun rights as I never owned a gun. I am very disappointed at the situation of the policy making in this state.

The very fact that the state would write pages and pages with thousands of words for what we call Sb270, a flawed law which does not actually ban plastic bags(and does not solve 99.5% of all the other plastic garbage issue), just one particular use of a plastic bag and force a charge of use of a bag that meets particular dimension shows the state is really bad at policy making.

I think you misunderstand the purpose of SB270. Its purpose is to maximize campaign contributions from those who care about either side of the issue. When you look at it from that perspective, it makes perfect sense.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:16 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,867,365 times
In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), SCOTUS held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home and that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and requirement that lawfully-owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee.

This doesn't make the right to possess a firearm universal. For example, you will not be able to bring a firearm into a courthouse.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:17 PM

919 posts, read 789,856 times
Quote:
Arm chair commandos are know it alls that know everything about every state without ever visiting there.
Is that anything like people who criticise a post without ever reading it?
Dave

Old 07-14-2017, 06:27 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
I have been to the part of Arkansas you are referring to. I wouldn't live there on a bet. That part of the country would be at the bottom of the list for me.

Glad you enjoy it. It takes all kinds to make a world.
Thank you. Glad to know that. Makes for one less!

Old 07-14-2017, 06:30 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,323,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
California is still pretty darn good if you're rich.

If you're middle class or poor? You're pretty much SOL.

My guess is if you're middle class trying to become rich or upper middle class in California it is very difficult. They tax the hell out of ya. I guess it's best to have moved there a few decades ago and to have worked hard to move up in the time from then to now. I don't know if this is correct. Maybe someone more in the know will chime in.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:08 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,776,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
My guess is if you're middle class trying to become rich or upper middle class in California it is very difficult. They tax the hell out of ya. I guess it's best to have moved there a few decades ago and to have worked hard to move up in the time from then to now. I don't know if this is correct. Maybe someone more in the know will chime in.
We are not rich and have had no difficulty in living pretty well in California. We have lived in the SF Bay area, San Diego and have lived in the Temecula Valley for the last 15 years. We have owned several houses in all 3 areas.

Taxes are not too bad for retirees. I am retired with a pretty high retirement income and I don't pay any state income tax.

Old 07-14-2017, 07:19 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
We are not rich and have had no difficulty in living pretty well in California. We have lived in the SF Bay area, San Diego and have lived in the Temecula Valley for the last 15 years. We have owned several houses in all 3 areas.

Taxes are not too bad for retirees. I am retired with a pretty high retirement income and I don't pay any state income tax.
Aah, but for the average family in CA being middle class is not good, unless you are far enough from the Coast and even Murrieta and Temecula are changing, and I lived in Murrieta for 9 years. Being Rich or at least upper middle class is a necessity, if you are not retired or even close to it. Owning in CA in the past also helps, but today younger people and families have minimal hope of owning as the prices are way beyond the way things were even 15 years ago and wages have not kept up with the COL. Sad but true.

Old 07-15-2017, 06:42 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Being Rich or at least upper middle class is a necessity... Owning in CA in the past also helps, but today younger people and families have minimal hope of owning as the prices are way beyond the way things were even 15 years ago
Except that a mere five years ago, real estate was at a low, and whoever bought then is probably doing fine now. (Yes, they were lucky.)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/morganb.../#18bcb7c4440e

Old 07-15-2017, 07:19 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
In District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008), SCOTUS held that the Second Amendment protects an individual's right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home and that Washington, D.C.'s handgun ban and requirement that lawfully-owned rifles and shotguns be kept "unloaded and disassembled or bound by a trigger lock" violated this guarantee.

This doesn't make the right to possess a firearm universal. For example, you will not be able to bring a firearm into a courthouse.
Ive lived in many places that when you go into a courthouse, there are lockers where you can place your gun while you are doing business in the court house.
The guards wouldnt give you a second look when you pull your gun and place it in the locker.
However in California the politicians want the average person to believe that mere possession of that gun makes you a criminal.
I had a neighbor in South Dakota who was a former LAPD officer who took a job as a state trooper there. He had a really hard time adjusting to the fact that there are guns everywhere. He would break out in a sweat whenever he stopped over a car for speeding because he was sure that that person was armed. They probably were. He eventually retired on stress disability. I felt sorry for the guy but he has 15 years of political propaganda drilled into him and it eventually ruined him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California