Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:54 PM

46 posts, read 209,488 times

Advertisements

I'm currently deciding where to go to college as a French major- to Chico State or to Humboldt State. Does anyone have any pros or cons for the area, atmoshpere, cost of rentals, weather, etc? I'd love to hear what anyone has to say! Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2008, 04:37 PM

409 posts, read 1,830,284 times
Weather is entirely different. Paradise is HOT in the summer. Arcata is much cooler, on the coast, can often be foggy. If you're a skier/snowboarder Paradise is closer to Tahoe and the Sierra's. Arcata/Humboldt county is very beautiful, redwoods, beaches (not socal beaches) etc. Both are small areas with interesting people but as a stand-alone region I'd say Humboldt has more to offer. I have heard good things about the French professors at Humboldt State. The school attracts great teachers because the area is desirable to live in. The campus is also very nice. As far as undergrad logic goes, Humboldt State is for the stoners and Chico State for the drunks.

Old 03-19-2008, 09:01 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,740,718 times
On other hand Chico is an hour from Sacramento, so job opportunities are immeasurably better if you're looking for student teaching or internships. I don't know which school has the better French department. There must be rankings you could look up. Suggest you check out both areas in person. Road trip!

Old 03-19-2008, 11:35 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,059 times
If your forum name has anything to do with your joy in life [ naturelover ] then Arcata with all of the surrounding marsh and bottom lands that are abundant with birds and small mammals, pretty much all of Humboldt county is. I saw my first golden and bald eagles after moving up here and more than several times. In the Chico area there is the Sutters Buttes, it is called the worlds smallest mountain range. They rise over 2000 feet above the valley floor and are totally self contained and are heading for designation as a nature preserve. You can also see Mount Shasta from Chico. If you check out both, take highway 36 from Redbluff to Fortuna or vice versa, it is a scenic mountain drive between the two communities. If you want to get really hot, like 100 to 112 plus in the summer, then Chico is for you, it also gets cold and foggy in the winter and at any time of the year is the back flow of smog from the bay area. Now Arcata can be from the mid 40's to low 70's even in the winter and mid 50's to low 80's in the summer. It is the summer that can be cool and foggy here on the coast when it is 100 plus inland. We call it natures air conditioner, we often get spells of warm weather from 3 days to a week with highs near the mid 80's and very rarely a few 90's. But the fog ebbs back in and cools us off for a day or two and it starts over again. Last summer the fog was very infrequent and we had on of the hottest summers for here on the north coast. I am hoping for another one this summer

Old 03-23-2008, 10:23 PM

46 posts, read 209,488 times
Thanks for the info NorthernCalifornia, eureka1, and TheDragonSlayer! It was all very helpful! I've been to the Chico area twice now, as I usually go there with my family for a mini vacation in the summertime. But I've never been to Humboldt County. As I've grown up on the coast, I really like cooler weather, so Humboldt State is starting to sound more appealing. The problem is housing. How much, typically, do two-bedroom rentals go for around Arcata??

Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 10,274 times
Too Hot in Paradise and Chico is even hotter in the summer. I am living here in Paradise for almost 3 years and don't want to spend another summer here.
I would move up to the north coast for school if I was you.

seriously.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,556 times
I've lived in the paradise area most my life I love it here I think the weather is perfect in the winter we get our occasional snow and in the summer its not too bad occasionally we will get a heat spell but for the most part its not bad chico gets a little hotter in the summer. If I had a choice I'd live in paradise for ever but my boyfriend wants to move to humboldt neither of us have ever been there but for some reason he's stuck on the idea of the ocean un humboldt. I would lime to hear more about how the ocean is in humboldt is it a swimable ocean?

Old 04-15-2011, 03:20 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,508,707 times
Have you thought about scheduling appointments with the heads of the French departments at the universities? Personally I think department size, quality and impressions of the instructors is more important than what town their in.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,702,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naturelover17 View Post
I'm currently deciding where to go to college as a French major- to Chico State or to Humboldt State. Does anyone have any pros or cons for the area, atmoshpere, cost of rentals, weather, etc? I'd love to hear what anyone has to say! Thanks in advance!
i really am shooting from the hip as I haven't been in Humboldt county for years, but my feeling would be: visit both areas, if you are planning on attending either school next fall, you really need to make a decision like yesterday.

Humboldt is filled with nature and the coast is beautiful: Paradise is exactly what the name says. Chico will be a better location for finding living arrangements and a job if you plan on working at all. Arcata will be very limited in job opportunities.

I think you need to visit both campuses, check the French programs, see what fits you and what you can even do with your major after graduation. Even though Chico may not be a breath taking as Arcata, it is sitll very close to all the outdoor activities you would enjoy. Skiing, hiking, fishing, etc.

Nita

Old 04-15-2011, 11:02 PM

28 posts, read 66,810 times
excuse me I really beg to differ on Paradise being paradise...the weather here sucks it's 100* every single day in the summer and it's freezing cold in the winter, we just got over 6 months of gloom now the heat will be here for another 3-4 months...that leaves you with 2-3 months of decent weather...I can't wait to leave here....Chico get's hotter in the summer by 5* and people I know who live there say it's 110* many days of the summer...my doctor lives there and told me it gets hotter as the sun goes down.
To the OP if you like the heat Chico is for you and if you like 6 months of gloom then a summer of heatwave after relentless heatwave Paradise is for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California