Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2018, 07:56 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,183,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion3510 View Post
OP if you're 55 years old, aren't there age restricted communities that you could live in? I've seen a couple of places for rent/sale that tend to be much cheaper than non-age restricted ones.

I've sure you've probably looked into this, but if you haven't, I would highly suggest it!
There are a lot of places like that in Az. I'm trying to hold out here till I turn 55 but it's getting harder all the time. And with Newsome coming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2018, 09:41 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Salaries are lower though.. and places like Austin and Atlanta have been getting very expensive.
More expensive than Seattle? The Bay Area?

Old 08-01-2018, 09:27 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Kind of surprising that the lion's share of San Jose emmigrants are headed to the Pacific Northwest. Sure, Seattle's got Amazon and a lot of other tech companies, but it's not that much cheaper than San Jose. Portland is cheaper than Seattle, but the entire tech industry there is really overhyped and tiny, centered around Hillsboro and its intel plant.

Washington state does have no state income tax and Seattle does have a growing economy; no surprise Washington state is growing faster than California in population. Oregon, despite having no sales tax, has an economy even more sluggish than California's. And still, Oregon's population is growing faster than California.

I guess its because Seattle and Portland are very similar to San Fran in culture, scenery, weather, and food, just colder in the winter. Oh well, Californians are definitely missing out on tech hubs like Austin, Raleigh, Huntsville, and every other city in The South. Pssst Pssst! Texas and Florida both have no state income tax and their major cities are cheaper than Seattle! And it's not all desert in Texas! Houston features Florida-like bayous, swamps, and forests!
Well, as I mentioned above, I've seen folks move to many of those states and are happy there. I don't think its really a secret for most that some like those cities. However, I don't find it surprising at all that more are moving to the PNW. It's really more about personal preferences when carefully weighing all the things one enjoys. I know for us even though we have friends in TX, NC and FL, we prefer the PNW as a place to live. That is also why Seattle is the fastest growing metro in the nation. Its not just a CA thing, its a national choice. Texans are actually one of the greatest contributors to the secondary migration into Seattle currently.

Hypothetically speaking, even if I could get a higher paying job in the south and a cheaper house, we still wouldn't move there. Its much more than about jobs and cheap living. In fact, that's also why engineering staff within our company would rather fly weekly to FL than move their families there. Its no secret that homes are less and that it has its charms. But when considering all things, they would much rather stay in CA.

That said, I can imagine for folks who love it there, they might think others are crazy. Why doesn't everyone just move to FL or TX and save a boat load of $$$? But for the majority of Americans from every state, they still prefer the west. That is also why it is the most expensive place to live - supply and demand. Obviously, some do head south as the graphic shows. The migration is just in smaller numbers when compared to the west.

BTW, I noticed you mentioned you will be an engineering student at UC Davis. If you graduate and get a decent good job offer in one of those southern states and want to experience it, I would say why not? Give it a go! That is a great time in your life to get out there and really explore the space. I think its good to experience living in other states and subcultures. On the other hand, if all your family, friends and/or a siginicant other live out west that may give you pause for thought.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-01-2018 at 10:09 AM..

Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 PM

4,147 posts, read 2,965,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Well, as I mentioned above, I've seen folks move to many of those states and are happy there. I don't think its really a secret for most that some like those cities. However, I don't find it surprising at all that more are moving to the PNW. It's really more about personal preferences when carefully weighing all the things one enjoys. I know for us even though we have friends in TX, NC and FL, we prefer the PNW as a place to live. That is also why Seattle is the fastest growing metro in the nation. Its not just a CA thing, its a national choice. Texans are actually one of the greatest contributors to the secondary migration into Seattle currently.

Hypothetically speaking, even if I could get a higher paying job in the south and a cheaper house, we still wouldn't move there. Its much more than about jobs and cheap living. In fact, that's also why engineering staff within our company would rather fly weekly to FL than move their families there. Its no secret that homes are less and that it has its charms. But when considering all things, they would much rather stay in CA.

That said, I can imagine for folks who love it there, they might think others are crazy. Why doesn't everyone just move to FL or TX and save a boat load of $$$? But for the majority of Americans from every state, they still prefer the west. That is also why it is the most expensive place to live - supply and demand. Obviously, some do head south as the graphic shows. The migration is just in smaller numbers when compared to the west.

BTW, I noticed you mentioned you will be an engineering student at UC Davis. If you graduate and get a decent good job offer in one of those southern states and want to experience it, I would say why not? Give it a go! That is a great time in your life to get out there and really explore the space. I think its good to experience living in other states and subcultures. On the other hand, if all your family, friends and/or a siginicant other live out west that may give you pause for thought.

Derek
I interned in Mississippi last summer and stayed in Slidell, a quiet suburb of New Orleans, and loved it! Other than my parents and younger brother who I currently live with in SoCal, the rest of my relatives have always been in Hong Kong (and now the UK) as long as I can remember, so I really won't be missing my relatives by moving to the Southeast. I have very few friends in high school, and many of them, too, have moved out of state.

Are you an engineer/IT professional? Any advice for a young engineer? I want to initially work in the defense industry, but what if, midway in my career, I decide, for example, I want to work in high tech or renewables? Is it hard to transfer skills from one industry to another?

Old 08-01-2018, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
I interned in Mississippi last summer and stayed in Slidell, a quiet suburb of New Orleans, and loved it! Other than my parents and younger brother who I currently live with in SoCal, the rest of my relatives have always been in Hong Kong (and now the UK) as long as I can remember, so I really won't be missing my relatives by moving to the Southeast. I have very few friends in high school, and many of them, too, have moved out of state.

Are you an engineer/IT professional? Any advice for a young engineer? I want to initially work in the defense industry, but what if, midway in my career, I decide, for example, I want to work in high tech or renewables? Is it hard to transfer skills from one industry to another?
Yes, I work for large Fortune 500 tech company as a senior engineer. If you send me a PM, I'll provide more specifics including recommendations. Generally, I would say yes, you can transfer from one industry to the other, especially if you have highly sought after tech skills in both. I know those who have done this. The thing to avoid is getting pigeon holed becoming an expert in one very narrow niche area. You need to keep that in mind as you move into certain positions throughout your career.

Regarding the south, I will say you are correct that there is a lot of growth there. And depending on the metric used, one might find certain areas growing faster than some western cities. The south does have its fair share looking at this measurement, for example: Full List: America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2018

Here's another interesting read looking at the US 'sunbelt': Seattle just one of 5 big metros last year that had more people move here than leave, census data show

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-01-2018 at 12:51 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 03:15 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,572,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yes, I work for large Fortune 500 tech company as a senior engineer. If you send me a PM, I'll provide more specifics including recommendations. Generally, I would say yes, you can transfer from one industry to the other, especially if you have highly sought after tech skills in both. I know those who have done this. The thing to avoid is getting pigeon holed becoming an expert in one very narrow niche area. You need to keep that in mind as you move into certain positions throughout your career.

Regarding the south, I will say you are correct that there is a lot of growth there. And depending on the metric used, one might find certain areas growing faster than some western cities. The south does have its fair share looking at this measurement, for example: Full List: America's Fastest-Growing Cities 2018

Here's another interesting read looking at the US 'sunbelt': Seattle just one of 5 big metros last year that had more people move here than leave, census data show

Derek
Wait, many on the Ca forum say the population is growing, but on the map in the bigger metro areas it's getting smaller by a lot. Unless more people are moving in from out of state to the smaller less populated areas?

Old 08-01-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Wait, many on the Ca forum say the population is growing, but on the map in the bigger metro areas it's getting smaller by a lot. Unless more people are moving in from out of state to the smaller less populated areas?
It really depends on the metrics being used. CA is the largest state by a wide margin in terms of population at ~40 million residents. However, there is a lot of expansion and contractiion within each city and metro area. For example, Irvine, by some measures, is the fastest growing city in the US. Though some would argue its not a *real* city. Then SF and LA are experiencing net loses according to the chart above. Seattle is the fastest growing city that is actually a city

Overall, CA is still growing. Some may argue a shift is occuring with folks leaving SF and LA. I, for one, left LA many, many years ago. So that doesn't surprise me at all. I would never want to live in those places due to severe overcrowding. I think more folks sitting in that nasty traffic daily are beginning to explore other otpions even with CA itself. If you look at the people leaving SF, a surprising number are moving to Sacramento, for example. While others of course are going will go out of state.

ETA: Also note that the chart above from the census only includes *Domestic* movers. This doesn't account for international growth or the gross numbers. Though other states have higher immigrant growth rates:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 08-01-2018 at 04:14 PM..

Old 08-01-2018, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aewan68 View Post
That part of FL is cheap and the people are friendly, not overly crowded yet, cheap place to retire, still Hurricane prone but not for someone who is looking for similar work options like exist in the Bay Area or other locations where there is work and opportunity. That's the dilemma for many, lower COL often doesn't equal higher level of opportunity or where it's at for jobs, depends on what you do and where it can take you.
Come to see this thread - the villages in Orlando is absolutely a must for anyone across the nation looking to retire. It's like an entire city devoted to the needs to older people. And it's in a no income tax state that caters to retirees. California has nothing that could compare. California is for the very rich and the very poor Latin american immigrants. Head to FL for a more normal life, granted with a lot of New Yorkers. This one is easy, really since the person is older.

I believe the villages is also the fastest growing area in the nation.

Old 08-01-2018, 04:48 PM

2 posts, read 1,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Salaries are lower though.. and places like Austin and Atlanta have been getting very expensive.
800k for good schools, low crime etc. You can't use Zillow from afar because you can't tell the good places from the bad. The 150k new house will come with crime and a long way from civilization. No, it's not bay area pricey. But it's not affordable for most people either. And you got no beach. They may be making more movies in Atlanta now than LA. If not, they are close.

I had someone envy me for moving from the bay area. He didn't know the days of this being a radically cheap place are now over. SW Florida is still radically cheap though.

Old 08-01-2018, 05:56 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,403,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erfter View Post
800k for good schools, low crime etc. You can't use Zillow from afar because you can't tell the good places from the bad. The 150k new house will come with crime and a long way from civilization. No, it's not bay area pricey. But it's not affordable for most people either. And you got no beach. They may be making more movies in Atlanta now than LA. If not, they are close.

I had someone envy me for moving from the bay area. He didn't know the days of this being a radically cheap place are now over. SW Florida is still radically cheap though.
It is also the highest cost area in FL, so other areas are even better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California