Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2018, 05:59 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times

Advertisements

4 of the last 5 retirees from the Bay Area Hospital where I work have liquidated and moved to AZ...

Apparantly, Californians are driving the market in some AZ retirement enclaves.

The other one moved to Oregon to be near the kids.

Had I been asked the same question 3 years back it would have been Austin... with Oregon again second runner up and 1 to Alabama... her husband is from there... they sold their Bay Area Double Wide for 165k and bought a brick home on 2 acres with a shop for 105k...

Three years later... her huband and family are happy... she is miserable... not much she doesn't like about where she is... said she would take her Bay Area double wide back in a minute if she could...

For those that are married... moving come with extra peril...

The South West continues to be popular with Bay Area Ex-Pats...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2018, 06:05 PM

782 posts, read 759,678 times
CRV laws, aside from a handful of other states, the CRV of bottles, cans and etc. is a sitting goldmine, where else can you dig through your neighbors trash and recycling cans curbside, and cash it in? It's like the new gold rush, even the homeless are doing it, now only if bit's of paper, cups, french fry cups, cig. butts, plastic bags, straws (oh that's right they are banned or about to be banned) and used condomns, hyponeedles had a CRV, California would be a super clean place.

Old 07-29-2018, 06:19 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Another reason why I don't hate L.A or California is The Getty Museum....Was there on Saturday July 28th and enjoyed the free concert,the museum,the beautiful garden,the fresh breeze and the awesome scenery of L.A stretching for miles..It was such a relaxing day....Those that have never been to The Getty Museum should visit someday...All you pay for is parking which is around $10-$15 all day and then you take the tramway which is also free up to the hillside where the museum is located...As I was standing on the top balcony looking out towards L.A it made me proud to be an American and a Californian to see the accomplishments of this Great City and Great State

The Getty

Old 07-30-2018, 03:38 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow_temp View Post
They were trying to lock people up for giving out straws here in Santa Barbara county.
No. But man, does that story ever have legs.

Old 07-30-2018, 03:40 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californiaguy2007 View Post
Another reason why I don't hate L.A or California is The Getty Museum....Was there on Saturday July 28th and enjoyed the free concert,the museum,the beautiful garden,the fresh breeze and the awesome scenery of L.A stretching for miles..It was such a relaxing day....Those that have never been to The Getty Museum should visit someday...All you pay for is parking which is around $10-$15 all day and then you take the tramway which is also free up to the hillside where the museum is located...As I was standing on the top balcony looking out towards L.A it made me proud to be an American and a Californian to see the accomplishments of this Great City and Great State

The Getty
The Getty is awesome. The collections are bit too old-school for my tastes (I like the room with the Impressionists), but the architecture and the gardens and the views...

Old 07-30-2018, 05:21 PM

8,342 posts, read 6,431,022 times
If your a Communist California is paradise.

Old 07-30-2018, 06:45 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Also, no one's mentioned JER-RY! JER-RY! JER-RY! yet.
Sorry Ruth, the 12th post by SimpleSonya mentioned "Governor Brown."

I wouldn't mind if Jerry had a 3rd, I mean a 5th term.
While I will vote for Gavin in the Fall, he's much further left than I am, certainly further left than Jerry, and I oppose many of Gavin's extreme pro-growth, ultra-progressive positions. (But I despise and will work to stop any short-sighted politician that supports Trump, as wimpy Cox now does.) I am glad that here there are more of us than there are of them. (I have never even seen a MAGA hat or heard anyone speak pro Trump nearby, in fact very few political discussions at all.)

I wear my California (and especially Northern California) T-shirt proudly. No other state comes as close to ours in environmental protection and Public Health, and that matters a lot to me. I am also glad that the states to our north, thus the entire West Coast, are blue states.

I love our strong stance on public health issues and how we were early on protectors of people from tobacco smoke. No longer do we have to dine with cigarette smoke in the air or have to share the restaurant with smokers. Bar and restaurant workers don't have to inhale smoke, either, nor do workers at their places of employment. I see strong statewide legislation to protect the public as A GOOD THING.

I have not seen a more beautiful state than California.

Yosemite is a unique and wondrous place. The Redwoods, primarily those up here in Northern California, bring tears of joy to my eyes as the sun streams down through the branches. No cathedral matches the sheer magnificence of these trees of ours. The fragrance of the redwoods and closer to home, the eucalyptus, are the essence of my childhood.

Major universities and prominent health institutions are ours and we have a wonderful state university system. I love that there are a lot of well-educated and well-spoken people nearby. I love the library systems, including Link+.

Whenever we want to fly somewhere else for a visit, we have three major international airports at our doorstep.

We are where the tech revolution began. Major employers who pay well are right here, an easy commute from my house.

I love that my property taxes will never rise drastically without a large percentage of the population agreeing to it. I am glad that social security benefits will not be taxed by the state.

Sunset at the beach with all the sights and sounds of nature is calming and restorative.
While that is up and down the entire length of our state, the moderate weather of our SF Bay Area is something I appreciate every day, especially this summer. No humidity. Very few nasty bugs.
We don't need central air conditioning here in the close-in SF Bay Area, and very few homes have it.

Although we have had and may have a major earthquake here, I don't go to bed at night and worry about wildfires or floods in our own area, not ever.

Some other day I will complain about some things I wish were different here, but not today.

Old 07-30-2018, 09:52 PM

13,734 posts, read 7,999,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Sorry Ruth, the 12th post by SimpleSonya mentioned "Governor Brown."

I wouldn't mind if Jerry had a 3rd, I mean a 5th term.
While I will vote for Gavin in the Fall, he's much further left than I am, certainly further left than Jerry, and I oppose many of Gavin's extreme pro-growth, ultra-progressive positions. (But I despise and will work to stop any short-sighted politician that supports Trump, as wimpy Cox now does.) I am glad that here there are more of us than there are of them. (I have never even seen a MAGA hat or heard anyone speak pro Trump nearby, in fact very few political discussions at all.)

I wear my California (and especially Northern California) T-shirt proudly. No other state comes as close to ours in environmental protection and Public Health, and that matters a lot to me. I am also glad that the states to our north, thus the entire West Coast, are blue states.

I love our strong stance on public health issues and how we were early on protectors of people from tobacco smoke. No longer do we have to dine with cigarette smoke in the air or have to share the restaurant with smokers. Bar and restaurant workers don't have to inhale smoke, either, nor do workers at their places of employment. I see strong statewide legislation to protect the public as A GOOD THING.

I have not seen a more beautiful state than California.

Yosemite is a unique and wondrous place. The Redwoods, primarily those up here in Northern California, bring tears of joy to my eyes as the sun streams down through the branches. No cathedral matches the sheer magnificence of these trees of ours. The fragrance of the redwoods and closer to home, the eucalyptus, are the essence of my childhood.

Major universities and prominent health institutions are ours and we have a wonderful state university system. I love that there are a lot of well-educated and well-spoken people nearby. I love the library systems, including Link+.

Whenever we want to fly somewhere else for a visit, we have three major international airports at our doorstep.

We are where the tech revolution began. Major employers who pay well are right here, an easy commute from my house.

I love that my property taxes will never rise drastically without a large percentage of the population agreeing to it. I am glad that social security benefits will not be taxed by the state.

Sunset at the beach with all the sights and sounds of nature is calming and restorative.
While that is up and down the entire length of our state, the moderate weather of our SF Bay Area is something I appreciate every day, especially this summer. No humidity. Very few nasty bugs.
We don't need central air conditioning here in the close-in SF Bay Area, and very few homes have it.

Although we have had and may have a major earthquake here, I don't go to bed at night and worry about wildfires or floods in our own area, not ever.

Some other day I will complain about some things I wish were different here, but not today.
I'm sure a lot of home owners feel the same.

However, Prop 13 runs the risk of being repealed if the Dems regain a super majority. Cal. needs the money and there already has been such talk among Dem politicians.

My brother and his wife mirror a lot of views in the above post.

However, I wonder how they will feel if their property tax suddenly went up 15 grand. You see they are middle class.

Bought the home 22 years ago have two kids and earn as a couple say $100,000 a year.

My guess is a 15 grand tax hike and they're gone.

Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 1,682,055 times
Well, I don't live there anymore ~ I do hate a few things ~ but I still love California all-n-all. It's a beautiful state with just about every 'scape there is, variety of things to do, and I love the coast and the climate. I don't even mind the hotter inland weather. I still escape to California every year, it seems, for something fun. Next month I'll be down there to enjoy Santa Cruz, visit Pinnacles Nat'l Park, and maybe on over to Yosemite.

My family is still there, in the Central Valley, and I will inherit the family property down the road. I used to look at it as an opportunity to go back and phase in, but I can't see it happening for several reasons. I will probably sell it. Cost of living and it's political climate are unbearable to me.

But I still love visiting.

Old 07-31-2018, 12:08 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
All you have to do is move somewhere else and you will regularly be saying - this is why I don't hate CA.

See that enormous scorpion climbing on the wall? This is why I don't hate CA.

Feel that god-awful humidity? This is why I don't hate CA.

Smell that smog? This is why I don't hate CA.

On and on. If you were born and raised here, you really do need to move somewhere else to get perspective. And then, of course, come back.

There's no such thing as a perfect place. But, another thing I don't hate about CA is that we keep trying to get it right - for everyone. Not just rich people or white people, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California