Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2019, 09:36 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,118,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
We are watching television. "Action News Now" is one of two local stations covering Northern California, especially Chico and Redding.

Anchorwoman: "The Chico Police Department arrested 24-year-old John Doe for breaking into a car at the Target shopping center. John was caught running away with the car owners' purse and cell phone. He was booked in the Butte County jail."

Anchorman: "We were told by the Chico Police spokesperson that John Doe was on probation for a similar incident last month."

Anchorwoman: "They also told us that John was arrested 14 (fourteen) times in the last two years for burglary, narcotics possession, drunk driving, disturbing the peace and vandalism."

Amen. This isn't bashing California, no, this is celebration of Liberalism.
well it is also kinda silly to leave a wallet, purse & cell phone, in plain view of a criminal. I hope they lock up this "John Doe" for a long time. But smash & grab robberies are everywhere, it's a crime of opportunity.

I love California & plan on dying here.

Old 09-11-2019, 09:37 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMan View Post
I don't know where in the southeast of Idaho you are, but we have family in Rexburg and Blackfoot. Spent some time there just a few weeks ago. Noticed a total lack of homeless people walking on the streets. Drivers were polite. People working at stores and restaurants were polite and friendly. Gas prices were just astonishingly cheap compared to California. Wyoming is even cheaper. I filled up in Cody Wyoming with premium for $2.69 a gallon. At the time that was a full $2 per gallon cheaper than California. We love the Victor, Driggs, Tetonia area, and of course Grand Targhee was beautiful (which I know is Wyoming, but right next to the Idaho line)
I can hope I was one of the polite people you encountered, I'm in Idaho Falls between Blackfoot and Rexburg

Old 09-11-2019, 09:39 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgforshort View Post
There was no John Doe. I made up the name to avoid getting a lawsuit, hurting the reputation of a known "alleged" criminal offender. But reports like that are on the air maybe two-three times a month. We let them go until they kill someone.
And you also made up the rest of the story, right?

Old 09-11-2019, 09:41 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,294,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
well it is also kinda silly to leave a wallet, purse & cell phone, in plain view of a criminal. I hope they lock up this "John Doe" for a long time. But smash & grab robberies are everywhere, it's a crime of opportunity.
I love California & plan on dying here.
I think it's a fictional account

Old 09-11-2019, 09:46 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,862 times
We are hoping to "escape" California's crowdedness and craziness within the next year. Only thing keeping us here these last couple of years has been my husband's employment (and related benefits, healthcare being the primary one since it's brutally expensive to pay for it all on your own). We're looking at the Midwest, specifically the suburbs of Indianapolis. Both sets of our parents were born & raised Wisconsin, Ohio, and western Pennsylvania, so maybe those roots make us feel more comfortable in that general region.

But this thread got me thinking about all of my friends & family that have moved away from Southern California over the last 25 years, who they are, why they left, etc. None of them are/were extremely conservative, but probably lean somewhat fiscally conservative. None could be called "rednecks". Two couples are kinda "religious" but not in any sort of preachy-teachy way. Here's where they went:

1. Salt Lake City, UT - nope, not Mormon
2. Sacramento, CA (okay, this isn't out of California, but at the time, moving from Huntington Beach up there was a big change to a more conservative area)
3. Pflugerville, TX...now Meridian, ID...thinking of moving again because it's getting over-crowded with a lot of CA transplants
4. Draper, UT - nope, not Mormon...now Colorado Springs, CO...got too crowded in UT and wanted more land (now have 5 acres)
5. Des Moines, IA

Old 09-11-2019, 10:06 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
We are hoping to "escape" California's crowdedness and craziness within the next year. Only thing keeping us here these last couple of years has been my husband's employment (and related benefits, healthcare being the primary one since it's brutally expensive to pay for it all on your own). We're looking at the Midwest, specifically the suburbs of Indianapolis. Both sets of our parents were born & raised Wisconsin, Ohio, and western Pennsylvania, so maybe those roots make us feel more comfortable in that general region.

But this thread got me thinking about all of my friends & family that have moved away from Southern California over the last 25 years, who they are, why they left, etc. None of them are/were extremely conservative, but probably lean somewhat fiscally conservative. None could be called "rednecks". Two couples are kinda "religious" but not in any sort of preachy-teachy way. Here's where they went:

1. Salt Lake City, UT - nope, not Mormon
2. Sacramento, CA (okay, this isn't out of California, but at the time, moving from Huntington Beach up there was a big change to a more conservative area)
3. Pflugerville, TX...now Meridian, ID...thinking of moving again because it's getting over-crowded with a lot of CA transplants
4. Draper, UT - nope, not Mormon...now Colorado Springs, CO...got too crowded in UT and wanted more land (now have 5 acres)
5. Des Moines, IA
Not surprising, as more Americans leave CA for other States than move into CA. Multiple reasons as not all are political or money.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:15 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Not surprising, as more Americans leave CA for other States than move into CA. Multiple reasons as not all are political or money.
Well, I'd say 100% of those I listed were of the "more for your money" variety...or "less is more" (if we're talking about crowds and traffic and frenetic-paced lives).

And all of those that moved out of state agree that the less-insane politics are a bonus.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:28 AM

1,203 posts, read 668,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Shall I list all of the people I know that have moved into California over the past 10 years?

This is true, but all of the stories here so far are completely biased. You would think that millions of Californians are leaving and nobody is moving in. Instead, on a net basis it's practically imperceptible. Now of course it's all of these rural areas of California where the people are leaving because they're a bunch of gun toting whackjobs that need to go live with their KKK brethren in Utah or Montana, and all of the immigration coming into the state is going to the big cities. So from their perspective it looks like the wheels have come off. But in reality, the major drivers of the state economy are on an absolute tear and total population is up approximately 6% which from an economic perspective is a good thing (from a QOL or environmental standpoint, there is certainly disagreement).

California's NET domestic migration between 2010-2017 was -156,000. From a current population of 39,557,000 people that's a -0.4% loss. Whoopdeedoo. From the cries of people on this on this forum you would think half the state has left. The poor people are leaving and rich people with high paying jobs are moving in. Sounds good to me.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Well, I'd say 100% of those I listed were of the "more for your money" variety...or "less is more" (if we're talking about crowds and traffic and frenetic-paced lives).

And all of those that moved out of state agree that the less-insane politics are a bonus.
Definitely a money benefit, but it isn't because they can't afford to live in CA, it is because they don't want to.

Old 09-11-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad debt View Post
Shall I list all of the people I know that have moved into California over the past 10 years?

This is true, but all of the stories here so far are completely biased. You would think that millions of Californians are leaving and nobody is moving in. Instead, on a net basis it's practically imperceptible. Now of course it's all of these rural areas of California where the people are leaving because they're a bunch of gun toting whackjobs that need to go live with their KKK brethren in Utah or Montana, and all of the immigration coming into the state is going to the big cities. So from their perspective it looks like the wheels have come off. But in reality, the major drivers of the state economy are on an absolute tear and total population is up approximately 6% which from an economic perspective is a good thing (from a QOL or environmental standpoint, there is certainly disagreement).

California's NET domestic migration between 2010-2017 was -156,000. From a current population of 39,557,000 people that's a -0.4% loss. Whoopdeedoo. From the cries of people on this on this forum you would think half the state has left. The poor people are leaving and rich people with high paying jobs are moving in. Sounds good to me.
Most of the growth is birth and foreign migration. My point was more Americans leave for other States than move to CA from other States. Reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California