Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2021, 11:14 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Yeah, erm, no. It's the same source of data from prior. It just didn't fit your guesses and speculation back then and you refused to accept that the numbers at the time were true. The shift is largely because testing is now much more accessible, and in fact, SDUSD is using rapid tests this school year instead of the others. We're also handling close contacts differently. Everything is geared to keep kids in school unless absolutely necessary, and that generally means a positive case. It's a smarter approach even if the numbers look grim
Schools could've done more testing in fall/winter 2020. They didn't want to. The results would've gotten many of them shut down in that more cautious climate.

Quote:
The point is, there's no perfect system and regulating behavior on campus only goes as far as the gates, and only for several hours a day. In other words, the variables which have changed dramatically are all off campus.
Now students are on campus for about 6 hours per day.

Old 09-19-2021, 11:34 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Schools could've done more testing in fall/winter 2020. They didn't want to. The results would've gotten many of them shut down in that more cautious climate.
Now students are on campus for about 6 hours per day.
It hasn't been bad at my grandson's school, and everything I've read say that the majority of positive tests are being found in junior high and high schools. Here's what a UC Davis pediatrician had to say about it:

"Medical experts, such as UC Davis Children’s Hospital chief of pediatric infectious disease Dr. Dean Blumberg, said the vast majority of children are not getting COVID-19 from child-to-child transmission but from adult-to-child transmission at home"

Old 09-20-2021, 08:04 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,449,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

In Fall/Winter 2020???
Uhhh, in case you hadn't heard, there was this pandemic thing back then and the state shut down of schools was still largely in effect. At that point in my district, we were offering limited in-person class time which was about an hour a day, a few days a week to the most impacted students. It was all voluntary and by invite only. At the site I was mainly at during that period, where participation was high, there were about 80 students total on a good day, spread out across the schedule. The reason nobody was testing students at school at the time (and it was offered offsite btw) was because there were barely any kids on campus.

As much as you think you know about this stuff, you don't.

Also, the amount of time it takes to test students who are opted in to participate right now is insane. The logistics are a nightmare and where I'm at currently, there's a decent amount of staff. At schools where this isn't the case, forget it. I said way, way back that schools could've operated safely if only for the staffing. That's been the key in this thing forever. But what would I know, right?

Old 09-20-2021, 10:01 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,767 times
Quote:
It's a total mess right now and there's no actual contingency plan from the state eighteen months into this. Worse yet, there's motions in the legislature which would require a return to hybrid learning which everybody (teachers, students and parents) hated, for those forced to quarantine.

They've had so much time to put something in place to address these issues and it's been squandered on worthless projects instead. What if a novel virus emerges again this coming winter? We will be back to square one. We're almost back to square one with the latest variants of concern with the current virus. All levels of government have dropped the ball on this.
I always curious how the online learning works for kids who have to contend with six to eight classes with different teachers a day as the case for many Middle and High schools with just as many teachers. Unlike kindergarden/Elementary students who usually only one, two, or three teachers max a day either in same classroom or just one different classroom.

Old 09-20-2021, 10:46 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,877,478 times
Quote:
In Fall/Winter 2020???
Uhhh, in case you hadn't heard, there was this pandemic thing back then and the state shut down of schools was still largely in effect. At that point in my district, we were offering limited in-person class time which was about an hour a day, a few days a week to the most impacted students. It was all voluntary and by invite only. At the site I was mainly at during that period, where participation was high, there were about 80 students total on a good day, spread out across the schedule. The reason nobody was testing students at school at the time (and it was offered offsite btw) was because there were barely any kids on campus.

As much as you think you know about this stuff, you don't.

Also, the amount of time it takes to test students who are opted in to participate right now is insane. The logistics are a nightmare and where I'm at currently, there's a decent amount of staff. At schools where this isn't the case, forget it. I said way, way back that schools could've operated safely if only for the staffing. That's been the key in this thing forever. But what would I know, right?
They really need to use COVID-detecting dogs to screen children 10 or older (or whatever age fear of dogs becomes rare).

Old 09-20-2021, 07:39 PM

35,018 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
More than 82% of Californians ages 12 and older have at least one dose of a coronavirus vaccine. Only nine states have more of their population immunized.

Why California has one of the lowest COVID-19 rates:
https://www.wionews.com/world/why-ca...9-rates-413603

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/16/u...vid-cases.html
That's because the San Fransisco mayor requires masks for the citizens/hired help/slaves but not herself. Rules are for the peasants, not the rulers. Well Mayor London Breed was partying with the Black Lives Matter co-founder. That's important public business that "Trumps" her own "health orders." Mayor Breed said: ""I wasn't thinking about a mask. I was thinking about having a good time and in the process I was following the health orders." So says SF mayor: Masks are for thee, not for me. See also MASKLESS SAN FRANCISCO MAYOR BREAKS HEALTH ORDER, SEEN PARTYING WITH BLM CO-FOUNDER AT NIGHTCLUB.

Old 09-21-2021, 09:12 AM

3,345 posts, read 2,307,767 times
One thing slightly deviating from the topic. This year they appear to not shut down open spaces especially the ocean at holidays such as Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day did the once feared overcrowding occur at any attractions in CA including beaches?

Old 09-21-2021, 11:05 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Are COVID-19 hospitalization numbers at Bay Area hospitals inflated?

The study's authors attribute that increase largely to two factors: First, COVID-19 vaccines dramatically reduce the likelihood of severe illness across the population, which in turn increases the proportion of patients who come in with mild cases as well as the proportion of asymptomatic cases among individuals who are hospitalized for a different affliction and later test positive for COVID-19 (the VA system tests every patient for COVID-19 in its hospitals, regardless of what hospitalized them).

I always thought it was odd how people who came into the hospital for something else but happened to have COVID were counted as a COVID hospital patient.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:39 AM

18,980 posts, read 32,634,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
That's because the San Fransisco mayor requires masks for the citizens/hired help/slaves but not herself. Rules are for the peasants, not the rulers. Well Mayor London Breed was partying with the Black Lives Matter co-founder. That's important public business that "Trumps" her own "health orders." Mayor Breed said: ""I wasn't thinking about a mask. I was thinking about having a good time and in the process I was following the health orders." So says SF mayor: Masks are for thee, not for me. See also MASKLESS SAN FRANCISCO MAYOR BREAKS HEALTH ORDER, SEEN PARTYING WITH BLM CO-FOUNDER AT NIGHTCLUB.
Her response was pretty awful too. SF politicians are the biggest hypocrites yet people still support them. If that's her attitude on masks then they should have just kept it a recommendation because clearly she knows how ridiculous they are.

London Breed critiques San Francisco's mask mandate, 'fun police' after nightclub trip

Old 09-21-2021, 11:47 AM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Her response was pretty awful too. SF politicians are the biggest hypocrites yet people still support them. If that's her attitude on masks then they should have just kept it a recommendation because clearly she knows how ridiculous they are.

London Breed critiques San Francisco's mask mandate, 'fun police' after nightclub trip

As another poster already mentioned on another posting thread, while in a nightclub, sipping a drink or nibbling on a snack, you obviously have to remove your mask to do that. My take is the mayor inadvertently, did put her mask back on when she got up from the table to dance. She was there to relax & unwind and likely got caught up in the moment. I am not saying it was all ok.....just not wanting to see that big of a deal made out of it and this coming from somebody (me) who did not vote for her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California