Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2021, 11:12 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times

Advertisements

N95 masks are very hard to get without medical connections or an employer that supplies them. Homeschool isn't an option for many people, and remote learning isn't offered by all schools. Herd immunity isn't happening.

I can agree with most of the other post. I've heard the same thing elsewhere. Not enough people vaccinated against COVID, not enough tests, some people feeling much worse than they're used to (and likely having bought into the myth that it's a cold, when it's a range of severity), plus many doctors in private practice on vacation and with voice mail systems directing people to the ER for emergencies and a crunch from what prove to be flu cases (most bad due to not being vaccinated).

A waiting room right now is a good place to contract both forms of COVID-19. Don't go if just to confirm it's a coronavirus. Telemedicine is an option, and Dr. Phil's Doctor on Demand could have gotten many new fans if it had made itself free temporarily during this tsunami.

This could've been much milder if certainly when Omicron was discovered, people would have seriously scaled back social plans (which also would have cut down on automobile accidents, especially in unusually rainy LA). There's plenty of distrust these days and fear is a dirty word to some (maybe because they have trouble handling that emotion), but when there's widespread warning about anything (from a virus to a creepy guy at the park), it's almost always well-meaning and worth heeding to a degree.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:25 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
N95 masks are very hard to get without medical connections or an employer that supplies them. Homeschool isn't an option for many people, and remote learning isn't offered by all schools. Herd immunity isn't happening.

I can agree with most of the other post. I've heard the same thing elsewhere. Not enough people vaccinated against COVID, not enough tests, some people feeling much worse than they're used to (and likely having bought into the myth that it's a cold, when it's a range of severity), plus many doctors in private practice on vacation and with voice mail systems directing people to the ER for emergencies and a crunch from what prove to be flu cases (most bad due to not being vaccinated).

A waiting room right now is a good place to contract both forms of COVID-19. Don't go if just to confirm it's a coronavirus. Telemedicine is an option, and Dr. Phil's Doctor on Demand could have gotten many new fans if it had made itself free temporarily during this tsunami.

This could've been much milder if certainly when Omicron was discovered, people would have seriously scaled back social plans (which also would have cut down on automobile accidents, especially in unusually rainy LA). There's plenty of distrust these days and fear is a dirty word to some (maybe because they have trouble handling that emotion), but when there's widespread warning about anything (from a virus to a creepy guy at the park), it's almost always well-meaning and worth heeding to a degree.
People have already been called back into the office or they will lose their job. They've also been forced to get the stab. The one thing that is an outlier is the mask mandate BS. It is doing nothing to keep people from getting COVID. The vax might keep them alive but this mask garbage isn't working. It's almost embarrassing at this point.

May as well have a rabbit's foot mandate. It's about as meaningful.

Old 12-30-2021, 11:47 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I found this article interesting.

https://pasoroblespress.com/commenta...-1-year-later/

Comparing COVID19 with 9/11. Which after 20 years we are still suffering from its fallout.

I guess the 14 days was kind of like shutting down the airspace. Once it reopens it would
Never be the same. Now we contend with the security theatre, Green eco environmental theatre, and now the pandemic theatre.

Old 12-31-2021, 07:56 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
N95 masks are very hard to get without medical connections or an employer that supplies them.
N95 masks are available on Amazon. They do not pinch your face and do not cause problems with breathing. (We've been wearing them at work since the Delta variant first appeared.) They should not be confused with KN95 respirator masks.

Old 12-31-2021, 08:46 AM

On Amazon aren't those unavailable to people not in healthcare? I haven't checked in a while. Their causing breathing problems isn't a myth. I don't know how common it is, but if worn for hours, they definitely do affect oxygen intake.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:19 AM

With the virus now known to sometimes remain active in the body for months, long-haul COVID keeping many infected people out of full-time work for months, and many of the unemployed out for health-related reasons, I have to think 1) it's an economy-killer if Omicron more than rarely has that effect and 2) vaccines have been pushed heavily because they moderately reduce the risk of that. I think remote work has to become the norm in many industries for months at least, though, and even if N95 masks become widely available, they won't be subsidized in enough cases nor pleasant enough to wear that they'll be used by enough workers.

Old 12-31-2021, 09:51 AM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,155 times
Quote:
With the virus now known to sometimes remain active in the body for months, long-haul COVID keeping many infected people out of full-time work for months, and many of the unemployed out for health-related reasons, I have to think 1) it's an economy-killer if Omicron more than rarely has that effect and 2) vaccines have been pushed heavily because they moderately reduce the risk of that. I think remote work has to become the norm in many industries for months at least, though, and even if N95 masks become widely available, they won't be subsidized in enough cases nor pleasant enough to wear that they'll be used by enough workers.
Of the dozens of people I know who have had Covid, all have recovered fully (even the two older ones who were hospitalized) so long Covid is much rarer than the leftist politicians are making it out to be. I’m working from home but living it up on weekends going to bars and parties and took a nice long multi-state trip over Christmas week. I have probably already had Covid with no symptoms and IMO, Omricron and lack of ability to lockdown the law abiding class (after giving thugs and elites free reign during the 2020 lockdown), will end up in herd immunity. Vulnerable and risk adverse folk can take it upon themselves to lockdown but life goes on. You can’t put healthy people in solitary confinement for years and expect society to function.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:30 AM

Quote:
On Amazon aren't those unavailable to people not in healthcare? I haven't checked in a while. Their causing breathing problems isn't a myth. I don't know how common it is, but if worn for hours, they definitely do affect oxygen intake.
N95s--not to be confused with KN95 respirator face masks--are available to anyone. I'm not in the health care field. They don't cause breathing problems or no one at work would wear one.

Old 12-31-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
"Fly at your own risk" is not helpful in a pandemic (where the cautious people and kids can't really shield themselves from others' risk-taking). More restrictions are needed, and I see no way around lessening the amount of air travel.
Looks as if it would be "too much work" to require vaccinations for those flying on domestic flights.

"In November, 36 members of Congress, including Feinstein, signed a letter to Biden asking that he require such proof or a negative test results for all domestic flights as well as updated safety protocols for trains and other modes of travel.

The Assn. of Flight Attendants, which represents about 50,000 flight attendants at 20 airlines, said requiring a proof of vaccination for domestic travelers “makes sense” as long as the process of verification doesn’t put an undue strain on airlines and flight attendants...

Biden told ABC News last week that although vaccine requirements for domestic air travel has been considered, “the recommendation I’ve gotten is [that they are] not necessary.”

Despite COVID-19 outbreaks forcing the cancellation thousands of flights over the holiday travel season because of cases among airline employees, the industry appears set against vaccine requirements for domestic travel..."

Why isn’t vaccination proof required for domestic flights?
https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...-omicron-fauci

Old 12-31-2021, 10:49 AM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
Of the dozens of people I know who have had Covid, all have recovered fully (even the two older ones who were hospitalized) so long Covid is much rarer than the leftist politicians are making it out to be. I’m working from home but living it up on weekends going to bars and parties and took a nice long multi-state trip over Christmas week. I have probably already had Covid with no symptoms and IMO, Omricron and lack of ability to lockdown the law abiding class (after giving thugs and elites free reign during the 2020 lockdown), will end up in herd immunity. Vulnerable and risk adverse folk can take it upon themselves to lockdown but life goes on. You can’t put healthy people in solitary confinement for years and expect society to function.
The Politicos are sure as hell trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California