Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2020, 11:43 AM

735 posts, read 452,866 times

Advertisements

CA is my second home since I wasn't born here. I've lived here most of my life, and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I'm more than happy to pay all those taxes to receive all those life qualities that I don't believe I can get elsewhere. I've been traveling all over the world, so I've been experienced lives in other States and countries as well. CA is not for everyone. Most people I know that left CA, and didn't move back mostly because they sold their house, and couldn't afford another CA house, not because they didn't want to.

I think if someone couldn't stand CA shouldn't stay in CA and whine about it all the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2020, 12:09 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
No it's not completely bad, just a sad commentary on what California has become.
It would be nice to live closer to certain family members, but I won't live there for the expense, the crowds, and the extremist one-party politics which gleefully facilitates much of the madness.
I also happen to like lush greenery that doesn't require irrigation, boundless sources of fresh water, and cool summers with snowy winters that don't require this proud flatlander to live on top of a mountain.
As a blue-collar person, I also don't see any appeal at all living out in the middle of California just for the sake of living in California.
No thanks.
I didn't know Republicans controlled the California State Legislature.

As someone who has done Blue Collar work my entire life the source of this comment is no surprise.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:13 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post
CA is my second home since I wasn't born here. I've lived here most of my life, and I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. I'm more than happy to pay all those taxes to receive all those life qualities that I don't believe I can get elsewhere. I've been traveling all over the world, so I've been experienced lives in other States and countries as well. CA is not for everyone. Most people I know that left CA, and didn't move back mostly because they sold their house, and couldn't afford another CA house, not because they didn't want to.

I think if someone couldn't stand CA shouldn't stay in CA and whine about it all the time.
I would debate this comment, but that's another story. Independent of natural geographic scenery.

Old 05-29-2020, 12:22 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
California is a beautiful state. Sleepy, what part of Nevada did you move to and not like?
Reno

Old 05-29-2020, 01:13 PM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
Ditto!

If people were to actually talk to the homeless and find out their life stories, they would learn that most come from red states. They get bused in and end up at greyhound depots around California. LA's skid row is like a block away from the bus station.
No, they don’t. Near 90% are locals forced out of housing. In LA, for instance, since you referenced it, the Point in Time counts determined that 65% of the homeless had been in LA for over 20 years. Another 15% had been Angelinos for over 10. Another 10% for more than 5 years.

Lots of research has backed this up.

Old 05-29-2020, 02:25 PM

1,255 posts, read 1,055,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut4sweets View Post

I agree! Like you, I have had the luxury (which I am very thankful for, btw) to travel to Asia, Latin America, North Africa and Europe. When I went to Denmark and Norway to see where half my ancestors are from, I always marveled at the way those places have shown such concern for the environment and climate change and have actively taken steps to mitigate both. I also like that there is a Humanist ethos in both of those places, and they don't just throw their poor and needy to the wolves, and treat their laborers badly.

There is a saying in Danish, "few have too much, fewer have too little". I'm proud that I live in a state that shares just a little bit of that Scandinavian sense of mutual obligation and concern for the planet and environment.

Old 05-29-2020, 07:52 PM

3,260 posts, read 6,761,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by

There is a saying in Danish, "[I
few have too much, fewer have too little[/i]". I'm proud that I live in a state that shares just a little bit of that Scandinavian sense of mutual obligation and concern for the planet and environment.
Huh? With the horrid homeless situation right up the entire coast of California you can say this? What meds are you taking as they sure aren't assisting your sense of reality.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:07 AM

1,334 posts, read 1,675,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
I'm not trying to convince you of anything.
The thread is simply "where are Californians moving to?". I just happened to have a little second-hand insight, that's all.
I have quite a bit of family out there and I recently lived in an area that is particularly very popular with ex-Californians.
It's an open forum. Just my two cents. I hardly ever post in the CA forums, so don't worry too much about little ol' me. I have lurked here a time or two since last year because I did consider making the move out there.
For what it's worth, I don't go onto Louisiana forums either, just the one's I've lived in or have interest in knowing more about.
I'm not trying to bust your ba!!s personally, Sub. It was pretty much that your posts were the last straw in the stack of the usual hyperbolic misinformed generalizations that the right wing tries to pass off as THE TRUTH about California. I'm sick of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Well at least we now know the new poster isn’t a troll! Thanks for bringing all this to our attention! We’ll have to look into all remedies!
It does appear that KnowNothing has left the building. Another drive-by CA shooting, I guess.

Old 05-30-2020, 08:26 AM

21,740 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semispherical View Post
I'm not trying to bust your ba!!s personally, Sub. It was pretty much that your posts were the last straw in the stack of the usual hyperbolic misinformed generalizations that the right wing tries to pass off as THE TRUTH about California. I'm sick of it.

It does appear that KnowNothing has left the building. Another drive-by CA shooting, I guess.
Yes. And yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California