Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2016, 07:31 AM

1,457 posts, read 6,032,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Seems to me the only one in this thread with a nefarious agenda is you.

As a landscape contractor myself I'll pipe in here. Yes any damage caused by the general public would be a good enough reason to keep the locations of these remaining behemoths of another age in the shadow world of obfuscation and enigma.

I live in 100 year old house that is entirely made of old growth redwood from the North Coast of California. From the roof decking to floor joists it survives as testament to our stupidity as a species when it comes to the sustained and utterly short sided use of natural resources.
Nice to see someone who works with soil for a living adding their insight.

It may seem evident that "Eshcerbakov" has been circling wide of the central core that compaction is harmful to trees. But readers here can easily choose to ignore an undefined perimeter and follow established research like:

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo.../for00-003.pdf

.................................................. ......................

BTW

The $5,000 reward fund noted is still going. Latest donation via mail from the great lakes region. But the gofundme page is still available too. Had sights set on 10K, but the 5K related to burl poaching gave the impression that 5K is very sufficient.

The reward (today) is also noted on the redwood page with The Forest Weeps. In case I tweak the page URL, anyone can find it searching The Forest Weeps + redwood

Last edited by mdvaden; 02-04-2016 at 07:56 AM..

Old 02-04-2016, 08:56 AM

87 posts, read 164,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGraham View Post
Yes Old Man Winter, it has crossed my mind EShcherbakov has not disclosed his or her full biographical details. I am certain MD Vaden has the same doubts. EShcherbakov has certainly picked through all the nuances and sides of the redwood secrecy issue in a very quick fashion and has expressed all of this in flawless and idiom filled English.

Of course we know of a Colonel Shcherbakov who was a Russian defector involved in a fairly well known spy scandal about 2010. You can look it up, all public information.

So Shcherbakov could be genuine but maybe not. Instead this could be a person who "defected" from the group of redwoods researchers or explorers and views himself or herself as a people's right to know person.
Thus the pseudonym. If that is true, I thank Shcherbakov/FR for coming forward and providing some insight into the reasoning and motivation around the web site.

Basically FR is willing to have these exemplary redwoods, which have been left RELATIVELY undisturbed for up to 2,300 years, be trampled upon. I can't agree with that.
Mr. Shcherbakov I see now you are truly from Moscow Russian Federation and are not fronting for FR. Sorry I jumped to this conclusion, I apologize.

Mark Graham

Old 02-04-2016, 09:24 AM

225 posts, read 469,707 times
What proof do you have of that, Mr. Graham? To me he appears to be someone who is just pretending to be interested in the debate and both sides, but when it comes down to it, he truly only supports one side of the argument... that of FR.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:25 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
Nice to see someone who works with soil for a living adding their insight.

It may seem evident that "Eshcerbakov" has been circling wide of the central core that compaction is harmful to trees. But readers here can easily choose to ignore an undefined perimeter and follow established research like:

https://www.extension.iastate.edu/fo.../for00-003.pdf

.................................................. ......................

BTW

The $5,000 reward fund noted is still going. Latest donation via mail from the great lakes region. But the gofundme page is still available too. Had sights set on 10K, but the 5K related to burl poaching gave the impression that 5K is very sufficient.

The reward (today) is also noted on the redwood page with The Forest Weeps. In case I tweak the page URL, anyone can find it searching The Forest Weeps + redwood

Even in the green industry, as you are well aware, soil compaction mitigation is a constant battle.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:39 AM

21,741 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Even in the green industry, as you are well aware, soil compaction mitigation is a constant battle.
Same true for dietary industry. Why fibre is so well advised.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:40 AM

87 posts, read 164,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManWinter View Post
What proof do you have of that, Mr. Graham? To me he appears to be someone who is just pretending to be interested in the debate and both sides, but when it comes down to it, he truly only supports one side of the argument... that of FR.
I contacted Evgeny directly. He is from Moscow Russia as he says and he is using his real name.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:42 AM

56 posts, read 88,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvaden View Post
You came in hear under the premise that you lack answers.
No I didn't. I came in here to gloat about the fact that the superlative trees belong to us all now.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:19 AM

10 posts, read 13,771 times
Thank you, Mark.
I'll drop this discussion for good, as it doesn't seem to lead me anywhere where I haven't been already (figuratively speaking).
I got a bunch of new knowledge in the process and formed some conclusions, for that at least I am really thankful.

~Evgeny

Old 02-04-2016, 11:33 AM

225 posts, read 469,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyawesometruthsayer View Post
I came in here to gloat about the fact that the superlative trees belong to us all now.
No they don't. You can't find Orion. You can't find Helios. lol

Old 02-04-2016, 04:31 PM

102,213 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EShcherbakov View Post
Thank you, Mark.
I'll drop this discussion for good, as it doesn't seem to lead me anywhere where I haven't been already (figuratively speaking).
I got a bunch of new knowledge in the process and formed some conclusions, for that at least I am really thankful.

~Evgeny
I really don't see anything wrong with forest/park rangers and other experts keeping the locations of trees secret. On the other hand, I can sympathize with your dream of visiting the "champions". I think you can have a wonderful redwood experience visiting the parks, as a start. Big Basin, also Yosemite (but better in the shoulder season, as it's too crowded the rest of the time. And the weather is warm later in the season now. You could look into it for late September, possibly early Oct.. Always make reservations months in advance when you plan a visit), and a couple of the parks up north, too, should be on your "must see" list.

Let us know if or when you plan a visit, Evgenii. The traffic around the Bay Area can be nightmarish, so locals here would be able to give you good general advice about that sort of thing. And if you do come, you should visit our "sobor" in the Russian district of San Francisco, on Geary St.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California