Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2010, 07:21 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I remember hearing about the one in Agoura. I liked it when it was in Devore; the one in Irwindale just doesn't have the same feel. I didn't know that the L.A. one was the original Faire!
I was at the Faire in Agoura back in the early 70s as well as the Black Point Forest Ren Faire in Novato (NorCal) in 1990 or '91.

Hmm! Does that mean I'm old?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 09:03 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Yeah CA4Now, I was trying to remember, was going to post @ Topanga Canyon but I knew that was wrong. It was Agoura!

I liked it when it was in Agoura, haven't been back since.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM

559 posts, read 1,379,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
Very good post DOKA!

The only thing not mentioned that should have been, Pacific Ocean Park ("P-O-P") and the Sky Ride!
Thanks for the kind words, Lovehound. Either the original "Things That Aren't Here Anymore" or its sequel, "More Things That Aren't Here Anymore" has a very nice segment on Pacific Ocean Park, complete with footage of the futuristic and spherical Skyway floating over the Ocean. The place looks absolutely amazing. It's a bit strange that with the loss of POP, Marineland and The Pike that the L.A. basin doesn't have any amusement parks aside from Pacific Park at the Santa Monica Pier.

Some other things I don't see much anymore:

--"Gimme five/ten" instead of high fives and chest bumps.

--Screen doors that close by a spring stretched across the door.

--Real telephone booths. Those fully enclosed metal and glass booths which were often found at gas stations. The sound of that articulated door closing is very distinctive. The transition to those unenclosed public phones was gradual so I never noticed the actual disappearance. The 2002 movie, "Phone Booth" takes place in a phone booth in NYC. Did we still have them in 2002?

Older buildings, maybe department stores used to have a bank of dark wooden phone booths. They looked like confessionals, which in a sense, they are. Anyone remember these?

--Female secretaries (they were all women back then) using Gregg shorthand for dictation. May have been a required job skill? I wish I had learned it for taking notes in college. I'm surprised that it hasn't been adapted for text entry on devices where a keyboard is impractical--I guess the learning curve is too steep and handwriting recognition is getting better. Graffiti on PDAs has some elements of shorthand.

--I used to enjoy reading the Tom Swift Jr. series of books. Never read the original series nor the 3rd and 4th series.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:08 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
I really miss the pre-Nintendo, pre-cable and pre-computer days when families still went on Sunday drives together and snuggled up together on the sofa at night to watch "The Brady Bunch."

Old 08-18-2010, 06:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Or, as in Nita's day, gathered 'round the Atwater Kent to listen to Fibber McGee and Molly.

Old 08-19-2010, 11:23 AM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Am I allowed to be nostalgic about the 1990s? Am I that old yet?

I mean, I've lived in 4 different decades and 2 different millenniums, and I'm only in my early 20s. When can I chime back in this thread?

Old 08-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Are you nostalgic for the delicious taste of Gerber strained peas from the nineties?

Old 08-19-2010, 12:08 PM

2,684 posts, read 7,384,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Are you nostalgic for the delicious taste of Gerber strained peas from the nineties?
Pfft..my parents are immigrants. We couldn't afford any of that "fancy-schmancy" Gerber's stuff. But, I don't know what happened BEFORE I was 2, so who knows! Apparently, I drank way too much milk when I was a kid. And ate too many oranges. Ironically, I still do that today.

The San Fernando Valley hasn't really changed that much in my short lifetime. I feel like I could dissapear from this place for 20 years, come back, and know exactly where everything is.

I remember when gas was less than $1.00/gallon. People kept talking about the days when gas would be more than $2.00/gallon, and people were panicking. By the time I started driving (5 years ago), it was already peaking at nearly $4/gallon. So much for that, eh?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:04 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post
Am I allowed to be nostalgic about the 1990s? Am I that old yet?

I mean, I've lived in 4 different decades and 2 different millenniums, and I'm only in my early 20s. When can I chime back in this thread?
Hey, with our world changing so much day by day we can be nostalgic for something that was popular yesterday but is "out" today

I miss the days when I could go shopping anywhere, no matter how crowded, and if someone bumped into you they would automatically apologize. Now all you get is a cold stare or total disregard.

Last edited by Cyanna; 08-19-2010 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 08-19-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifeshadower View Post

I remember when gas was less than $1.00/gallon.
So do I...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California