Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2009, 07:51 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,936,349 times

Advertisements

I remember the one in Santa Ana being a Pronto, Then TJ/Pronto, Then TJ.

7/11 greatly established its So Cal presence when it bought out the Speedee Mart chain somewhere around 1968.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 07:57 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,743,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
I remember the one in Santa Ana being a Pronto, Then TJ/Pronto, Then TJ.

7/11 greatly established its So Cal presence when it bought out the Speedee Mart chain somewhere around 1968.
Now that brings back memories. It was called Speedy's 7-11 on Saticoy and Fallbrook in Canoga Park in maybe the 1960s then the Speedy part just dropped off and we all referred to it as 7-11.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:59 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
93 KHJ
LOL. I remember when Rick Dees used to be a DJ on that station.
That was long before I ever even heard of KIIS FM. In fact, that was before I even listened to anything on the FM dial.

I also remember KLAC being L.A.'s country and western station. I sure remember them playing a lot of classic country back in the day...

Of course, back in the day, the country they played wasn't considered classic... yet!

Old 04-15-2009, 09:57 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Majoun, you are right, It was on a corner in Pasadena, south of Colorado, but I can't remember the street.
If it's--Trader Joe's--the same one, it's on Arroyo Parkway, just south of California Blvd. Our parents used to take us there as kids. (Still a great place but the parking lot is too small!)

Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,301 times
Referring to L.A.:

When did the paperboy disappear? Was he a victim of the greater efficiency of the person in a truck who can deliver before dawn, or did he run afoul of some child labor laws?

I remember seeing skywriting on a regular basis and being mesmerized by the gradual appearance of the letters. Trying to guess the message before it finished was akin to Wheel of Fortune. Can't remember the last time I've seen skywriters. What exactly was in that smoke? Probably didn't help air quality.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:30 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,590,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
Referring to L.A.:

When did the paperboy disappear? Was he a victim of the greater efficiency of the person in a truck who can deliver before dawn, or did he run afoul of some child labor laws?
Basically, from what I saw, the "paper boy" lost his job to the "person in a truck." The paper boy used to have to "stuff" his own papers back in the old days (inserting of advertisements). This was a job I did for a long time, so I remember getting up early on certain days to do so, then delivering the papers on my route before I headed off to school. Just a few years later, the kids like me who rode our bikes and delivered the papers were gone, and guys in trucks and vans were doing the job. I would say this was due to efficiency, and not labor laws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunk on kool aid View Post
I remember seeing skywriting on a regular basis and being mesmerized by the gradual appearance of the letters. Trying to guess the message before it finished was akin to Wheel of Fortune. Can't remember the last time I've seen skywriters. What exactly was in that smoke? Probably didn't help air quality.
I also used to guess at what was being written. At that time, skywriting was often done with what looked like five planes each creating a portion of the message, in a pattern somewhat like what the old "dot matrix" printers used to create. Recently, though, all the skywriting I've seen has been from just one plane, more similar to handwriting. I don't know what was in the smoke, either. I still see skywriting from time to time, so I would imagine the smoke to be fairly harmless, at least at that altitude.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM

59 posts, read 350,601 times
We still have paper boys on bikes up here in Brookings/Harbor, Oregon - but it is a very small town and the paper only comes out on Wed & Sat. A major Oregon paper is delivered by truck to homes - but it takes 2 hours over a mountain road to get here or 5 hours from Portland.
In the "old days" skywriting was always done by one plane and took a lot of talent and hopefully no wind to erase it before it was blown away. Now its mostly planes pulling flags or banners.

Old 05-04-2009, 02:31 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,595,334 times
Default Where is this?

For those of you familiar with early '70s SoCal, where was it that this clip was shot (one of the VERY few appearances if not the only appearance by the late Gram Parsons on network TV)?

YouTube - The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Older Guys USTV (full version)

Old 05-05-2009, 12:37 PM

42 posts, read 164,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
For those of you familiar with early '70s SoCal, where was it that this clip was shot (one of the VERY few appearances if not the only appearance by the late Gram Parsons on network TV)?

YouTube - The Flying Burrito Brothers - The Older Guys USTV (full version)
Wow.... Thank you so much for this post! My husband and I have about everything they did....
Not sure where this shot was taken.... Newport/Balboa?

Old 05-06-2009, 11:03 AM

5 posts, read 28,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bronco Mike" View Post
I know that I'm pretty late on this thread, but I've lived in the LA area my whole life, and now, as I've gotten older, I'm just starting to realize how much I miss the places that I went to when I was younger, and are no longer around. I grew up in West LA(Beverlywood area) in the 70's and 80's, but my older sister moved to the San Fernando Valley back in 1975, and I would visit her in the Valley, sometimes by myself, and sometimes with my parents, after she moved out, so I'm familiar with a lot of things that used to be in the Valley, but are now gone. I myself, moved to the Valley in the late 80's, and have lived in Simi Valley since 2001. I could go on forever about the places on the Westside, where I grew up, that are long gone. In fact, on other internet sites, such as Yelp, I have. However, one place in the San Fernando Valley, that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet(yes, I've actually read every post on this thread), are the Northridge Waterslides, a small waterslide park that used to be on Nordhoff, across from the Northridge Mall, next to where Malibu Grand Prix(also long gone), used to be. They were around from about 1979-1983, or '84, and I used to go there quite a few times with my sister, and a couple of times with my sister and my mom, and once, even on a field trip during summer school. It wasn't anything like Raging Waters, or Six Flags Hurricane Harbor, but it was a nice little place. I could go on forvever about other places, but I'll save that for another day. I'm just curious though, since it seems most people on this thread grew up in the Valley, if anyone else here remembers the Northridge Waterslides.
I thought I was the only person alive to remember this place!!! I moved to Northridge in 1978 and have so many fond, but also fuzzy!, memories of those days. My sister and I used to go the the Northridge Waterslides with our neighbors. I remember my mom didn't like us going because she thought it was too dangerous. Which it probably was! I doubt there was much thought given to safety or to the mass of germs which polluted the water!!!!

Other things I remember are Gemco in Granada Hills, Skateland (still there!) on Parthenia and Lindley, The New Breed-it was a store in the Northridge Mall that sold iron-on shirts, Vans shoe stores, Bullocks and The Broadway, Don Ricardo's Mexican restaurant in the Northridge mall, along with Fiddler's Three and some German restaurant where the food court is now. Alpha Beta was our local grocery store. The 118 freeway ended at Balboa! Farrell's of course. The Winnetka drive-in theatre. Actually SMOKING cigarettes inside the theatre at the NR mall way in the back row! Jordache and Sergio Valente jeans.

I love the posts about sky-writing. I totally remember that! What the heck happened to all those fun and innocent times?? Oh, and we went to Dodger games like crazy! My mom loved Steve Sax! It is so fun to watch Mike Soscia coach the Angels now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California