Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2009, 09:50 PM

2,014 posts, read 5,523,378 times

Advertisements

Heck, when you have abused your body as I have, afflictions of the body are part and parcel, and when you, like some of us, went through that mess in Vietnam, inner afflictions of the spirit etc. are again, part and parcel, but these things are fought against, and it is the fighting against them that makes the man, or, the woman.

You may notice, that on this forum, it is those who complain who get my ire up, they all have a pulse, and I suppose most have a paycheck, beats the heck out of being cold and 6 feet under. If one complains, it is only because one has not the gumption to fix the problem, and that, is unmanly, or unwomanly.

Oh, I am not externally driven, I am internally driven, a far harder task master. George Mallory, who died in 1924 on what was possibly the first ascent of Everest stated, "To Struggle is to understand, never the latter without the first" It is exactly that struggle within oneself that creates one.

I hope, that in my words on these pages, that someone wakes up, and sets out on that hard road to find where they belong and who they should be, that a life in Los Angeles, or San Francisco, or Sacramento etc, is not the life of the self actualized.

Too many Americans are soft, they avoid struggle, as your neighbor down the road in Carmel, Robinson Jeffers wrote in Ave Caesar;
No bitterness: our ancestors did it.
They were only ignorant and hopeful, they wanted freedom but wealth too.
Their children will learn to hope for a Caesar.
Or rather--for we are not aquiline Romans but soft mixed colonists--
Some kindly Sicilian tyrant who'll keep
Poverty and Carthage off until the Romans arrive,
We are easy to manage, a gregarious people,
Full of sentiment, clever at mechanics, and we love our luxuries.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:06 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarks View Post
Heck, when you have abused your body as I have, afflictions of the body are part and parcel, and when you, like some of us, went through that mess in Vietnam, inner afflictions of the spirit etc. are again, part and parcel, but these things are fought against, and it is the fighting against them that makes the man, or, the woman.

You may notice, that on this forum, it is those who complain who get my ire up, they all have a pulse, and I suppose most have a paycheck, beats the heck out of being cold and 6 feet under. If one complains, it is only because one has not the gumption to fix the problem, and that, is unmanly, or unwomanly.

Oh, I am not externally driven, I am internally driven, a far harder task master. George Mallory, who died in 1924 on what was possibly the first ascent of Everest stated, "To Struggle is to understand, never the latter without the first" It is exactly that struggle within oneself that creates one.

I hope, that in my words on these pages, that someone wakes up, and sets out on that hard road to find where they belong and who they should be, that a life in Los Angeles, or San Francisco, or Sacramento etc, is not the life of the self actualized.

Too many Americans are soft, they avoid struggle, as your neighbor down the road in Carmel, Robinson Jeffers wrote in Ave Caesar;
No bitterness: our ancestors did it.
They were only ignorant and hopeful, they wanted freedom but wealth too.
Their children will learn to hope for a Caesar.
Or rather--for we are not aquiline Romans but soft mixed colonists--
Some kindly Sicilian tyrant who'll keep
Poverty and Carthage off until the Romans arrive,
We are easy to manage, a gregarious people,
Full of sentiment, clever at mechanics, and we love our luxuries.
O.K. Clarks ... i do hear you and i get you (as much as is possible via on-line "relating") ... and you just quoted Robinson Jeffers!
That's gotta be a first on city-data-forum?
You've filled in some important blanks ... expounded, defined, clarified.
Good enough!
Well, except for this > " ..... that a life in Los Angeles, or San Francisco, or Sacramento etc, is not the life of the self actualized."
Say what now?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:35 PM

A self actualized man, or I suppose woman, should be able to pee off the front porch without causing a ruckus in the neighborhood, that is to say, on the land, not in the city.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM

2,901 posts, read 12,729,164 times
Quote:
A self actualized man, or I suppose woman, should be able to pee off the front porch without causing a ruckus in the neighborhood, that is to say, on the land, not in the city.
I prefer not the city myself but won't go so far as to set any conditions for others regarding self actualization ... and our definition of "self actualization" may be different.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:34 AM

Yes could be. I figure if a person knows who he is, they challenge themselves mentally and physically. Tough to do in the urbs. Nothing like skiing a frozen couloir at dawn, thirty miles from a road to clear one's mind.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:04 PM

302 posts, read 864,282 times
Quote:
Oh stop traffic, I actually agree here.

Just the idea that pissing in public could cause someone to be a sex offender is serious overregulation IMO.

Old 11-07-2009, 11:12 PM

302 posts, read 864,282 times
Quote:
Of course I am an elitist, who would chose to be Hoi Polloi?

By your choices, you made your life where you are unhappy? That my friend is an bad way to go through life.

One's life should dictate one's job. One's job should not dictate one's life
The impression you give is that since you're financially secure, who gives a damn about anyone else.

While someone's choices often dictate their trajectory, there are also people who are just in the right place at the right time, or wrong place at the wrong time. Politics is a fluky thing. Sometimes it usurps the value of skill, particularly in California.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:23 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screw Sacramento View Post
The impression you give is that since you're financially secure, who gives a damn about anyone else.

While someone's choices often dictate their trajectory, there are also people who are just in the right place at the right time, or wrong place at the wrong time. Politics is a fluky thing. Sometimes it usurps the value of skill, particularly in California.
What I "hear" from Clarks through reading his posts is that he doesn't let circumstances around him dictate how he lives his life. What I hear from you is that external forces like the economy, being at the wrong place at the wrong time, politics, etc. has the power to dictate, control, and set the tone of someone's life. That sounds like something that CNN (constantly negative news) would want us to believe.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:06 AM

You are right Donna. Screw Sacramento seems to be thoroughly whipped by... himself.

The fellow keep making assumptions about me, based on hi own outlook, not on what I have said.
Quote:
This is another one, I have not indicated that I am financially secure or not financially secure, furthermore being financially secure or not financially secure has nothing to do with what is important in life. I do not currently live where I live because that is where I want to be. I would prefer the middle of Nevada, but circumstances, "a tide in the affairs of men" or in this case women, brought me here to the Coast of CA, and I will make do.

Quote:
who gives a damn about anyone else.
Actually, my life is pr etty much dedicated to helping those who need help, Particularly poor Mexican children. And I do a huge amount of work to make this state a better place for you, and me, and our children down through the generations, but, that is not what this site is for, this site is for discussion of cities, which I discuss and have strong opinions about. I base my opinions on a life time spent traveling, in years spent in various cities, states and countries, and especially notcities, that is; wild country. If you are a man, or you wish to be a man, (not all adult males are men, in fact, probably most in modern America, aren't) you need to be alone, by a lake, on a ridge, near a trickling spring, as often as possible.
Here is a goal to shoot for, Screw Sacramento has stated he has a disability, look at this photo;

He is a paraplegic, yet, he does not let that stop him. He has literally conquered, himself. The rock is merely the stage.

No Limits - Mark Wellman - Adventure Athlete, Motivational Speaker

Life handed him lemons, and he made lemonade.

For everyone who complains about one thing or another, stop, go outside and do something.

Back to George Mallory, "To Struggle is to Understand, never the last without the first"

Old 11-08-2009, 11:35 AM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Agreed 100%.

Frankly, I don't see how anyone would want to raise their children here either. I thank my lucky stars I grew up in a different US state; I would be a completely different person if I was raised here, it's almost scary to even think about it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California